Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > bad luck so far with my airport express

bad luck so far with my airport express
mattyd
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 12:38 AM

got mine today.

set up went fine, but then my powerbook (ti400) stopped recognizing my network (netgear 802.11g). i restarted my computer and router and then everything worked... sort of.

iTunes plays though my speakers via airport express but stutters every 5 or 6 seconds. my computers within 20 feet of the airport express and the netgear router is in the next room, so distance or interference shouldn't be a problem.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 12:46 AM

Just wondering... why continue to use the Netgear at all?
If you've got a good reason, then that's cool, but try AirTunes w/o the Netgear in the loop and see if it still stutters.

mattyd  (op)
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
Just wondering... why continue to use the Netgear at all?
If you've got a good reason, then that's cool, but try AirTunes w/o the Netgear in the loop and see if it still stutters.
the dsl modem is in one room attached to the netgear, the airport express is in another room hooked up to the stereo.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 04:35 PM

Just received mine today, and having the same problem. Let me know if anyone can think of a fix!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

gkorsgard
Jul 21, 2004, 10:07 PM

Didn't want to start a new post, so can someone help me with airport express setup. I have AP Extreme connected to the cable modem. When I try to set up AP Express to join my current network. It completes the setup "successfully", but itunes does not recognize to give me the option of airtunes. Any suggestions of what I am doing wrong? Thank you!!!

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2004, 11:23 PM

Well, techically I think you're starting a new network because you're going to be using the signal that your Express is going to be giving out. Joining an existing network is if you already have a wireless network in your house and you want to add an Express to it. Try making a new network, that should work.
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2004, 11:58 PM

I had some issues with setting up with a Netgear roueter. Others may be the same but I don't know. I had to basically make all the setting for the wireless network completely basic and thhen build up from there. Decided that the repeating function that is available using an airport extreme is far worth it and I am going to replace the netgear with that.

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2004, 12:09 AM

I've got a really crappy Microsoft wireless router (it was cheap from work, what can i say?), and now my Express, and the Express is soley used for AirTunes at home, while when at my parents or friends house a wireless base station. I'm just going to replace the router with another Express as soon as the ship dates get a little better. Then i'll be able to repeat the signal between the two express's, use the wireless USB printing function, and have everything made by Apple. Mmmm, so tasty. Not to mention that I just realized that I have another fiber optic opening on the back of my surround receiver. I'll be ordering my Monster audio kit in the next couple days or so. Can't wait for those great white cables with digital sound!

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by Frumpy:
I'll be ordering my Monster audio kit in the next couple days or so. Can't wait for those great white cables with digital sound!
The mini-optical is a necessity. Sounds like butta.

zepkin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 23, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
The mini-optical is a necessity. Sounds like butta.
What does butter sound like? Squishy?

Seriously, can you really tell the difference? Just curious.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2004, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by zepkin:
Seriously, can you really tell the difference?
Yeah. Well, my house has no practically no interference, so when I use the RCAs you can hear the static on the line. With the opticals, it's crystal clear. This, of course, depends on whether or not you have interference on the band, because then you'll get static either way.

I think buying the stereo connection kit was actually a good deal b/c you get the extension cord too, and I'm gonna use the RCAs that came with it in my car setup now. A Monster mini-to-optical cable is like $30 by itself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules