Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > 24" imac doesn't support BootCamp!!

24" imac doesn't support BootCamp!!
HughUK
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2006, 11:39 AM

Can anyone confirm this?

From Hardmac.com.....

- iMac 24'' unsupported by BootCamp - Lionel - 09:58:07

Bootcamp is currently incompatible with the new iMac Core2Duo 24'', Thomas told us from Germany. This incompatibility can be related to that met by the MacPro owners who have tried to plug it to a 23'' display. During Windows' installation, the unsupported display remains desperately black. Find out more here (in German).
For sure, Apple should solve this quickly... For sure? Well, maybe not indeed. People who have ordered a 24'' iMac last week just got an email warning them that delivery - which was to be completed within 5 days - would suffer a 3 weeks delay. The longer the better, they say...
24" Intel imac | G4 imac 10.4.7 | G4 TiBook 10.4.7 | 2 x Bondi G3 imacs 9.2.1 | Apple emate | 4G ipod | ipod shuffle.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:46 AM

Been confirmed here.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 11:48 AM

That is not true. I stood in the Apple store as the booted a 24" into XP. Played with it myself.

BZ

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 11:48 AM

Here's a thread about it in German. Dunno if they specifically mention BootCamp 1.1.1 or not. Maybe he just had an older version of BootCamp.

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 18, 2006, 12:14 PM

Apple - Boot Camp
Says that 1.1.1 supports the latest intel Macs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 12:59 PM

Chuck
___

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2006, 06:13 PM

Most displays support lower resolutions just fine, but Apple leaves out the extra hardware necessary to do that.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2006, 07:39 AM

It's odd some people claim to be able to install and some can't.
This seams to be an issue with different XP installer CD's, some 'types' of XPSP2 installers can drive the display, others don't.
I returned my 24 yesterday because of this (running XP is important to how I work, Using Bootcamp enabled me to get rid of the PC I had cluttering up the place). and was virtually accused of using a pirated XP, (as Bootcamp DEFINITELY works with VALID XP installers)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2006, 07:52 AM

Can you just run Parallels desktop in the mean time until apple comes up with a solution? I'll have to mess with my 24" iMac tonight as this is a deal breaker for me. Apple probably won't take my BTO Mac back but one of the number one reasons I've upgraded earlier than normal was to be able to run windows only software for academic purposes. Guess I should have bought a Macbook instead.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 19, 2006, 08:09 AM

I don't read German-what's the issue with Boot Camp not working on the new 24" iMacs? Firmware? Not having all the right drivers?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2006, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I don't read German-what's the issue with Boot Camp not working on the new 24" iMacs? Firmware? Not having all the right drivers?
Some Windows install disks don't support 1920x1200 for the installer, and the iMacs don't support any lower res.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 02:10 PM

Looks like they just sent out the firmware update -

Apple 64 Bit EFI Firmware Update at caMi Nation
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

maya1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2006, 02:21 PM

I got the following information from MacBidouille.com

"Merci à Tomas, lecteur allemand, de nous signaler qu'il y a actuellement une incompatibilité entre les iMac Core 2 duo 24" et BootCamp. Cette incompatibilité est identique à celle rencontrée par les possesseurs de Mac Pro et d'écrans 23". Lors de l'installation de Windows, l'écran non supporté reste désespérément noir.
On trouve ces informations en allemand à l'adresses suivante:
Mac-TV: Magazin f�r Apple-Fans mit TV
Apple va devoir rapidement résoudre ce problème. Enfin, la rapidité est relative, puisque les personnes ayant commandé la semaine dernière un iMac 24" ont eu la désagréable surprise de recevoir un mail les avertissant que leur livraison aurait 3 semaines de retard sur le délai prévu, qui n'était que de 5 jours.
[MàJ] Un lecteur nous signale avoir réussi à installer XP sur son 24". Il a la carte vidéo de base, la 7300. Il va falloir encore chercher pour trouver ce qui cloche avec précision."

It seems that Bootcamp works fine with 7300 Graphics processor. The problem resides with the 7600 Graphics processor.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 03:40 PM

gotta love the international flair of this forum =)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiklee
Looks like they just sent out the firmware update -

Apple 64 Bit EFI Firmware Update at caMi Nation
That's for the Mac Pro.

Originally Posted by mduell
Some Windows install disks don't support 1920x1200 for the installer, and the iMacs don't support any lower res.
I don't understand this. The iMac supports resolutions all the way down to 640x480.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by maya1
I got the following information from MacBidouille.com

"Merci à Tomas, lecteur allemand, de nous signaler qu'il y a actuellement une incompatibilité entre les iMac Core 2 duo 24" et BootCamp. Cette incompatibilité est identique à celle rencontrée par les possesseurs de Mac Pro et d'écrans 23". Lors de l'installation de Windows, l'écran non supporté reste désespérément noir.
On trouve ces informations en allemand à l'adresses suivante:
Mac-TV: Magazin f�r Apple-Fans mit TV
Apple va devoir rapidement résoudre ce problème. Enfin, la rapidité est relative, puisque les personnes ayant commandé la semaine dernière un iMac 24" ont eu la désagréable surprise de recevoir un mail les avertissant que leur livraison aurait 3 semaines de retard sur le délai prévu, qui n'était que de 5 jours.
[MàJ] Un lecteur nous signale avoir réussi à installer XP sur son 24". Il a la carte vidéo de base, la 7300. Il va falloir encore chercher pour trouver ce qui cloche avec précision."

It seems that Bootcamp works fine with 7300 Graphics processor. The problem resides with the 7600 Graphics processor.
That's kind of funny if it's true, that few enough people are getting a 24-inch with the default card that nobody has figured this out yet.
Chuck
___

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
That's kind of funny if it's true, that few enough people are getting a 24-inch with the default card that nobody has figured this out yet.
Yeah. I haven't come anyone on this forum yet who has ordered the 7300 24".

So, I started a thread on it.

quiklee
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 05:47 PM

from my understanding, it was mainly an issue with the 64 bit processor, so it affects both MacPro and the new iMacs

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 05:48 PM

Maybe you should figure things out before assuming that one update is for one computer
From your link:

"it’s the official Apple Mac Pro EFI Firmware update."

EDIT:

I see you changed your post:

from my understanding, it was mainly an issue with the 64 bit processor, so it affects both MacPro and the new iMacs
It does not seem to be an issue with 64-bit Intel iMacs running the X1600 or 7300 GT, according to posts.

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 06:15 PM

I know someone with a 7600 running boot camp fine.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2006, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by dazzla
I know someone with a 7600 running boot camp fine.
Good to hear. I wonder what he did differently, or if it's something to do with the specific XP install disc.

Also, there was a mention that if you attach a second monitor, it's easy to install Windows.

I'd give it a shot, bit you can't (easily) install BootCamp on a drive that has 2 OS X partitions already.

dazzla
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 06:37 PM

No idea if he done anything special, I'll point him in this direction. Mine'll be here next week but by then all the uncertainty surrounding this will be gone.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Sep 20, 2006, 06:52 PM

BZ....you may want to check what you said..."played with it myself"

that's a what she said deal....

haha sorry off topic and I have nothing else to add that will be beneficial....

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 21, 2006, 08:41 AM

PC Mag has no problems running BootCamp on the 24" iMac.

The 24-inch iMac also runs Boot Camp Beta, just like other Intel-based Macs. Windows on the iMac is as snappy as I expected, with initial numbers that are pretty good. The iMac provides a much better gaming platform with Win XP, since Doom 3 for Windows runs natively on the Intel platform. With Boot Camp, the iMac turned in a stellar 127 fps at 1,024-by-768 on Doom 3, though its scores were less than ideal at 1,600-by-1,200. This didn't surprise me, because a dual-card graphics solution is preferable if you want to play smoothly at higher resolutions, but it's nice being able to run 1,600-by-1,200 at all on an all-in-one (the iMac's display supports up to 1,920-by-1,600 resolution). And the system played Splinter Cell at a smooth 48 fps at 1,024-by-768. The iMac completed the Windows Encoder test in five and a half minutes, landing it in the high-end multimedia class—which is fitting, considering its almost $3,000 price tag. It is also a great Photoshop performer: In Windows, the iMac completed Photoshop tests in 57 seconds flat, which again puts it in the high-powered multimedia class. The reason it's faster in Windows is that Photoshop CS2 is optimized for Intel in Windows, but not (yet) in Mac OS X.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2006, 11:40 AM

I think it's just a question of which Win install CD you have. It seems to work with some and not with others.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 22, 2006, 08:36 AM

I'm still waiting to see WHICH OEM/Retail versions do and do not work. So far nobody has posted any data... I'm not sure it's really related to which disc you use, at least not yet.

Oh yeah...Why did I not gripe about this being in the PB/MBP forum? It's theoretically about the hardware, right? Well it sure looks like there's NOTHING about the hardware that's influencing whether or not Boot Camp works on the 24" iMac at this time...

Let's close this thread and someone can start one in the Alternative OS forum with real data on what works and what doesn't.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules