Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My copy of OS X completely died...

My copy of OS X completely died...
Dillon-K
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 12:54 AM

I'm sitting there in Firefox typing a comment on someone's blog... then I get the spinning beachball of death. I wait about 5 minutes, then get impatient and force it to reboot... at which point OS X refuses to load. I consider my losses, and most of my information is stored online. I say the hell with it, and reformat using the MacBook's OS X install DVD. And then it won't install properly. it reboots and just sits there spinning. Even in verybose mode it does.

It stops at "mac 10.3 radio 10.2" or something like that... I finally get fed up and sit and wait till I can schedule an apple genius bar appointment. I don't know what is wrong, or why my machine randomly locked up, but I do know that I am leaving that Apple store with a fully functional computer. Either that or my dad will beat that genius up until he either fixes it or just puts in a drive from another MacBook. I swear, I am not going without a computer...

If you can't tell I'm a little upset... Anyway, can anyone help me out? Know what the problem is? I've got an hour and 8 minutes until I can book my genius bar appointment and go to bed...
Black MacBook 2.0GHz Core Duo, 1GB RAM.
Logitech V270 Bluetooth mouse, Brenthaven Metro (black).

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2006, 09:13 AM

Sounds like the drive has failed. Take a deep breath and chill for a bit-you'll be fine.

But demanding a "working" MacBook when you walk out of the Apple Store sounds like you're being a childish twit. "Getting your MacBook fixed" is your goal.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 09:34 AM

lol......no need to get violent. You do know that Apple has the best customer service scores in business. They will take care of you..just relax young one.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Dillon-K  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2006, 03:50 AM

Yeah, I was a little upset. I'm glad that I had most stuff backed up.

The Apple Genius said that it would take 1-2 days to get the parts and then he'd get it fixed ASAP. It was funny because I described to him what all I did in detail and he was like "Do you want a job?!"

'Twas funny.

All I ultimately lost were some old raw audio from a podcast interview I did and some photoshop documents for images of my new site...
( Last edited by Dillon-K; Dec 5, 2006 at 03:54 AM. Reason: added more content)

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 5, 2006, 09:22 AM

I'm glad you got your computer handled properly. I thought you'd done a pretty thorough job of reviewing and troubleshooting the machine too, so this sounds like a good extra job opportunity for you!

Anyway, it was the drive itself, right? And congratulations for being the one in about 15,000 that actually backs up his stuff! You will be almost exactly back to where you want to be as soon as the Genius gives you back your machine.

Dillon-K  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2006, 09:59 AM

We're not sure if it was a problem with the HD itself or the logic board/cable... but the Genius ordered all of those parts, and he said he'd try some things and make sure he knew which was wrong.

webb3201
Senior User
Dec 5, 2006, 10:51 AM

Do the genius' actually repair the machines in house? That seems to be a new wrinkle.
Read my MacWebb column and other great Mac articles at Lowendmac.com

Owner of a MacBook Pro and various other Macs.

Dillon-K  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2006, 02:28 AM

It turns out my hard drive died, and they had one in stock to fix it. So I'm back with my Mac now... All is peaceful .

EDIT: And I don't think they're doing all the repairs in house, just the simple ones like that...

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 6, 2006, 10:39 AM

I think it depends on what's wrong and where you are. Not all Apple Stores are large enough for a good-sized shop in the back. But disassembling a computer on the bench and double checking all the cables-and maybe swapping out the drive(s) should be pretty doable in most places.

Congrats, Dillon!

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2006, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Dillon-K View Post
It was funny because I described to him what all I did in detail and he was like "Do you want a job?!"
Haha, been there, done that. I had the same thing happen when the hard drive in my sister's iPod died and she roped me into getting it fixed for her. Anyway, congrats on the fixed laptop!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Forum Links
Forum Rules