Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mini dvd in mac book pro?

Mini dvd in mac book pro?
Dragonos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2007, 03:16 PM

Do mini dvds fit and operate in the macbookpro super drive.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2007, 03:23 PM

no no no!
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dragonos View Post
Do mini dvds fit and operate in the macbookpro super drive.
Just the MBP's that come equipped with a coffee cup tray.

But that brings up a good question: as far as mini CD's go, is the only way to load one with an external drive?

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 12:42 AM

yes. I bought an external DVD burner with the tray loader so that i can accept mini DVDs.

Do not use the mini DVDs in a slot loader unless you enjoy visiting the local Apple Genius Bar and turning in your MBP to take it out.
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 09:14 AM

To be VERY CLEAR here, NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING BUT A FULL-SIZED DISC IN A SLOT-LOADING DRIVE!!!@!!!!@@@!@@@#!!!!! Is that emphatic enough? Slot-loading drives cannot handle smaller discs and WILL jam if you put a smaller disc in them. DO NOT DO THIS!

As wilsonng says, you CAN use any size disc in an EXTERNAL, TRAY-LOADING drive.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
To be VERY CLEAR here, NEVER EVER PUT ANYTHING BUT A FULL-SIZED DISC IN A SLOT-LOADING DRIVE!!!@!!!!@@@!@@@#!!!!! Is that emphatic enough? Slot-loading drives cannot handle smaller discs and WILL jam if you put a smaller disc in them. DO NOT DO THIS!
Jesus dude, lay off the caffeine; it's a legitimate question. The Nintendo Wii can take different sized media (Gamecube & Wii discs) - it's not completely unreasonable to believe that other devices can do the same. Thanks for the answer, though.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by xmattingly View Post
Jesus dude, lay off the caffeine; it's a legitimate question. The Nintendo Wii can take different sized media (Gamecube & Wii discs) - it's not completely unreasonable to believe that other devices can do the same. Thanks for the answer, though.
Mac slot-loading drives have a long history of choking on anything but standard-sized discs, and they are often devilishly difficult to get out once they're put in. Tight tolerances make for cool and stylish machines, but they don't allow for errors like putting unsupported discs in slot-loading drives. The Wii's drive is specifically designed to use both 8cm and 12cm discs, an exception to the basic "no small discs in slot-loading drives" rule.

And I was emphatic because you would probably not believe the number of posts we see here on "how do I get this small disc out of my computer?" or worse, "how do I fix my computer since I had to use a variety of tools to drag a small disc out of the drive?" It gets ugly, it is often scary for the user, and it can be expensive to remedy, so I get LOUD and emphatic when this comes up. Sorry it sounded like I'd had more coffee than I actually had (at that point).

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2007, 07:26 PM

Actually, many slot loading drives can accept different sized disks.

But not the ones found in Macs from Apple.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 16, 2007, 07:40 PM

I should have been more specific I guess, but it seemed like adding a caveat would weaken the overall message to NOT put anything but a 12cm disc in an Apple slot-loading drive.

This does bring up a philosophical question, though. Why has Apple not adopted multi-size capable slot-loading drives? Hmmmmm.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jan 16, 2007, 08:29 PM

The tray-loader external DVD burner is also more helpful when you have disks that have labels on them. The slot-loaders sometimes have trouble accepting or ejecting them.

Whenever I see a disk that has a label, I always opt to use it in my tray loader external.

I only use the slot-loader only when I'm on the road and have no access to an external....
You can bend my ear. We can talk all day. Just make sure I'm around
When you've finally got something to say. -- TOAD THE WET SPROCKET

ibook_steve
Jan 16, 2007, 09:59 PM

I should have been more specific I guess, but it seemed like adding a caveat would weaken the overall message to NOT put anything but a 12cm disc in an Apple slot-loading drive.

This does bring up a philosophical question, though. Why has Apple not adopted multi-size capable slot-loading drives? Hmmmmm.
Cost and thickness, I'm sure. A multi-size drive would need more mechanical components to detect the disk size and center it over the spindle correctly. I'm sure that this would add thickness that Apple just can't afford in order to remain "less than 1 inch thick."

Steve

neyoung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 12:10 AM

I remember when the first iMac's came out I read a bunch of stories of people getting those mini cd's (or business card cd's) stuck in the drives. Since the iMac had one of the first few slot loading drives people had to do a bit of learning the hard way
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 03:45 AM

I was emphatic because you would probably not believe the number of posts we see here on "how do I get this small disc out of my computer?" or worse, "how do I fix my computer since I had to use a variety of tools to drag a small disc out of the drive?" It gets ugly, it is often scary for the user, and it can be expensive to remedy, so I get LOUD and emphatic when this comes up. Sorry it sounded like I'd had more coffee than I actually had (at that point).
I understand; it must get frustrating having to answer the same dumb questions over and over again. I'd definitely be interested to know why the 'books don't include a multi-size disc drive. I'd care to guess that it comes down to cost or form factor; something that might be worth researching a little. It definitely wouldn't be the first time Apple chose style of function. They can sometimes be chintzy with their hardware specs... Mac Pro, for instance: one of their priciest machines, yet the only one in the lineup that does NOT include Airport & Bluetooth in a default config.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 19, 2007, 09:49 AM

I understand; it must get frustrating having to answer the same dumb questions over and over again. I'd definitely be interested to know why the 'books don't include a multi-size disc drive. I'd care to guess that it comes down to cost or form factor; something that might be worth researching a little. It definitely wouldn't be the first time Apple chose style of function. They can sometimes be chintzy with their hardware specs... Mac Pro, for instance: one of their priciest machines, yet the only one in the lineup that does NOT include Airport & Bluetooth in a default config.
I think ibook_steve hit the nail on the head with the thickness issue being a primary reason to use full-sized-only drives. As for the Mac Pro, it's supposed to be a business machine, and it's a "desktop" (actually a "fixed location") computer, so it makes more sense to use it as a wired computer-it does come with a gigabit ethernet card, and you still can't beat that for networking speed. As for not having Bluetooth, I think that's more of an issue with how they have the wireless products bundled than a "going cheap" thing.

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 04:21 PM

I think ibook_steve hit the nail on the head with the thickness issue being a primary reason to use full-sized-only drives. As for the Mac Pro, it's supposed to be a business machine, and it's a "desktop" (actually a "fixed location") computer, so it makes more sense to use it as a wired computer-it does come with a gigabit ethernet card, and you still can't beat that for networking speed. As for not having Bluetooth, I think that's more of an issue with how they have the wireless products bundled than a "going cheap" thing.
Yeah, I kind of figured it must be an aesthetic thing. For some reason I thought MBP's and other Macs had Gigabit ethernet as well; not that it really matters for a home office, but I guess I better double check those specs.

Anyway, I know the Pro towers are largely intended to be fixed location work stations, but Airport & Bluetooth inclusion can't even be a $30 add-on out of Apple's pocket, whereas you have to pony up $80 extra to have it. Since it's supposed to be a be-all, do anything you need piece of hardware, I think something as simple as wireless networking (which is extremely common these days) should be part of the equation. Just my opinion.

faeriah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 04:43 PM

Well. First off; yes, I was stupid enough to jam one in there. I'm sorry, oh macGod.
Second. It happened on a friday, and wasn't I mental enough to plan my little trippydipp down to the Apple store the following monday (no, I didn't consider the fact that it's just as open on weekends as on weekdays).
I was stressed about doing it, cause OMG, would I have to live without the only thing that keeps me sane? The thing that keeps me breathing? (My very own macBook Pro, of course)..

The day after this tragic event, and waiting for the coming destruction of my well-being I was so frustrated and angry that I (crazy as I was) jammed a normal sized disc in. It went almost all the way in, and I heard the little mini-bastard struggling inside. But lo and behold! The computer sensed the normalsized disc, spat it out and out (about 1/4 of an inch) came the little devil!.. Just enough so I could pull it out.

Try that the next time, mates.

Love, Helena

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2007, 05:10 PM

Oh. My. God.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2007, 06:05 PM

Nice
Linkinus is king.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 5, 2007, 06:43 PM

Helena, I think you got VERY lucky. the MacGod has obviously smiled down on you.

faeriah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2007, 07:26 PM

Yeah, now i'm a skipping and jumping, happy little bunny.

I think the macGod's nice to me because I realized how much better Mac is than PC..
Once you go Mac, you never go back.

Thanks, boys. Thanks for not telling me about Mac earlier.
Men can be so selfish. And women too for that matter. Damn the humanity! Long live the computer (especially mine).

And yes, I will crave money for copyright if you use my method to get those little mini-****-things out.

- Helena

Artanin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 26, 2007, 03:56 PM

Close the machine, wait about 30 seconds for it to suspend correctly. Grab it with both hands and with the cd slot facing the ground, forcefully jerk it towards the ground. Do that a few times and the tiny cd will come out. Just dont have a flying macbook.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2007, 04:33 PM

Unless you have an original Titanium PowerBook. The slot load on those had 2 plastic spring guides that let you stick mini CDs and DVDs in. I always wondered why they stopped doing that with slot loads. It made sense.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 26, 2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Actually, many slot loading drives can accept different sized disks.

But not the ones found in Macs from Apple.
Originally Posted by neyoung View Post
I remember when the first iMac's came out I read a bunch of stories of people getting those mini cd's (or business card cd's) stuck in the drives. Since the iMac had one of the first few slot loading drives people had to do a bit of learning the hard way
Actually, the original slot-loading iMacs handled mini-CDs just fine (I had one and used it for all mini-CDs that were included with various devices), as did the titanium PowerBooks.

They did NOT, however, accept "shape" (non-circular) CDs - or rather, they did, but wouldn't spit them out again.

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2007, 01:54 AM

Wiis take large and small format CDs, so it can be done for slot loading.

hopefulyl the new MBPs will deal with both.
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

chacha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by faeriah View Post
Well. First off; yes, I was stupid enough to jam one in there. I'm sorry, oh macGod.
Second. It happened on a friday, and wasn't I mental enough to plan my little trippydipp down to the Apple store the following monday (no, I didn't consider the fact that it's just as open on weekends as on weekdays).
I was stressed about doing it, cause OMG, would I have to live without the only thing that keeps me sane? The thing that keeps me breathing? (My very own macBook Pro, of course)..

The day after this tragic event, and waiting for the coming destruction of my well-being I was so frustrated and angry that I (crazy as I was) jammed a normal sized disc in. It went almost all the way in, and I heard the little mini-bastard struggling inside. But lo and behold! The computer sensed the normalsized disc, spat it out and out (about 1/4 of an inch) came the little devil!.. Just enough so I could pull it out.

Love, Helena
OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I recently got my baby ( 15 inch macbook pro with 2gb ram, 160gb HD and 2.16 ghz) and I have been in love with mac ever since. I was stupid enough to stick a mini disc into the slot and of course it was stuck. I paniced because I would have to send my baby away to apple to get it repaired since there isnt a place near where I live that repairs macs. In one last attempt I searched good old google and found this site with this lovely thread and your GREAT idea. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!

chacha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by faeriah View Post

Love, Helena
OMG THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! I recently got my baby ( 15 inch macbook pro with 2gb ram, 160gb HD and 2.16 ghz) and I have been in love with mac ever since. I was stupid enough to stick a mini disc into the slot and of course it was stuck. I paniced because I would have to send my baby away to apple to get it repaired since there isnt a place near where I live that repairs macs. In one last attempt I searched good old google and found this site with this lovely thread and your GREAT idea. IT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!!!

dn15
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 5, 2007, 12:10 AM

For some reason I thought MBP's and other Macs had Gigabit ethernet as well; not that it really matters for a home office, but I guess I better double check those specs.
You are right, actually. All Intel-based Macs have Gigabit.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 5, 2007, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by chacha View Post
I think you (and the poster you responded to) were extremely lucky. The slot loading drives in MBPs are NOT built to handle mini discs, and trying to put another disc in is just asking for the drive to chew itself up. This is NOT a safe procedure, and NOT something I, the MacNN Forums, or anyone with experience in what happens when it goes wrong (think "replace the drive completely" for starters) would recommend.

Again, this is risky and not something to be recommended!

Forum Links
Forum Rules