Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MacBook Connection loss, wireless signal drop

MacBook Connection loss, wireless signal drop
tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 28, 2007, 11:35 PM

I do not know if anyone else has experienced this, at first I thought it must be my router, after all it is a pc router but a few things are pointing towards the macbook. The iMac also connected to the same router retained its signal and it worked fine, other pc computers worked fine.

The problem is kind of odd since I will just be working on something and try and send an email or open up iChat and it will just hang on me while nothing happens. Then I open safari and the blue fill bar at the top starts but doesn't move, eventually it says it cannot connect. On the menu of the screen all the little signal bars are filled in apparently showing a strong signal but nothing happens.

Again, this only happens on my macbook so it isn't a router problem. Does anyone know if there is any way to fix it or if apple is fixing this problem?

ibook_steve
Jun 29, 2007, 02:36 PM

This should be in the networking forum.

Check your network preferences. Make sure that Airport is at the top of the list in Network Port Configurations. Make sure you are obtaining an IP address by DHCP and that you are getting a valid address (you don't want to see a 169.x.x.x address). If you do have an invalid address, click Renew DHCP Lease to get a new one. If you keep getting an invalid address and you are connecting to the correct wireless network (from the Airport menu), something could be misconfigured on the router.

Steve

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 29, 2007, 03:00 PM

Did you install 10.4.10? Some users have reported WiFi problems with 10.4.10.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 29, 2007, 05:08 PM

It seems that EVERY OS update produces a bobble or two for at least some wireless users.

And there is no such thing as a "PC router." Wireless networking is based on standards, not platforms. In any case,, what ibook_steve says is good stuff.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2007, 01:59 PM

It has dropped connections in the past, but I've didn't think much of it until recently it started doing it continuously and would not regain signal until I restarted or woke the put the computer to sleep. I have a feeling its the macbook and not the router or different configurations since every other mac works fine with it.

braiiins
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2007, 04:03 PM

It seems to be a problem with 10.4.10 and certain routers. I've been getting the same problems. I'm in an Apple store right now and the CS guy told me my best option right now is to do an archive and reinstall since there doesn't seem to be an update from Apple yet. You could wait until Apple makes an update to fix the problem (as many people are having it, there are quite a few more posts on the Apple support website), or you could downgrade to 10.4.9.

tiger  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 14, 2007, 11:20 PM

Alright, what happens is that the computer is working fine. I'm just browsing and then I click a link or type an address and it doesn't move. It just stays there... "apparently" loading but the bar does not advance. If i turn airport off and back on it works. Anyone having this problem with a MacBook Pro? just would like to know since I'll be looking into one.

rollingstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 17, 2007, 08:53 PM

Oh hi,

Could my problem be related? I just lose my connection to my Apple Airport Express and can't re-connect. I have 40 bit WEP enabled. After the connection drops then the AP disappears.

I have a 2.0 ghz Macbook with 11n enabled and OS10.4.10. I just enabled 11n a week ago. The AP was set for b/g and I changed it to g only but no luck.

Thx,
Glen

horppana
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2007, 02:23 AM

Hi, I'm a fresh meet here, but I'm having the same probs with my macbook. By the threads it seems to occur only when run on battery (any other experiences?) and it has to have something to do with how OS handles the power saving for the wireless adapter. In a minute or so it just dies, and can be restored only by restarting the airport.

This was mentioned in Kris' blog: link
"The drops can be prevented by ensuring that the wireless connection doesn't stay idle. One way to do that is to run "ping -i 5 somehost.com" in a Terminal session. Unfortunately, continuous pings increase battery drain. "

I just hope Apple fixes this...

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 5, 2007, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
Oh hi,

Could my problem be related? I just lose my connection to my Apple Airport Express and can't re-connect. I have 40 bit WEP enabled. After the connection drops then the AP disappears.

I have a 2.0 ghz Macbook with 11n enabled and OS10.4.10. I just enabled 11n a week ago. The AP was set for b/g and I changed it to g only but no luck.

Thx,
Glen
I'd be more inclined to blame this one on the access point. Note that WEP is poo on a stick, so there's a great possibility that using something worthwhile for security, like WPA, would correct the problem. Yes, WEP can cause this and other problems, in addition to the fact that it's almost trivial to break WEP encryption. If your computer doesn't conect via WEP, it will often no longer "see" the access point you were trying to connect to-I'm not sure why but I've seen it happen, even with my own equipment. WPA isn't like that on any equipment I'm aware of.

What brand and model of access point are you using? Do you have control of it or is it a corporate thing?

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by tiger View Post
Alright, what happens is that the computer is working fine. I'm just browsing and then I click a link or type an address and it doesn't move. It just stays there... "apparently" loading but the bar does not advance. If i turn airport off and back on it works. Anyone having this problem with a MacBook Pro? just would like to know since I'll be looking into one.

Yup, same here. It's been happening for a week or so, I think it's since I installed 10.4.10

Very annoying. I thought it had been fixed with the newer airport update but apparently not.

jcee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 8, 2007, 10:10 PM

Any news on possible fix?

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 9, 2007, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by jcee View Post
Any news on possible fix?
The symptoms people are reporting in this thread are too diffuse to diagnose. NOBODY has posted anything more than their MacBook loses a wireless connection.

Everyone posting here that really wants some help should let us know a few crucial details if they want help. WHAT WIRELESS ROUTER OR ACCESS POINT? WHAT'S THE REST OF THE NETWORK SETUP?

Seriously, that's like saying "my uncle died-why?" Was your uncle a fitness freak or a 400 pound lump? Was he 25 or 85? Details are critical here.

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2007, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by tiger View Post
I just came on to these forums right now to ask about this problem, I use a linksys wireless router and I lose internet connection frequently, I'm still connected to the router, but not the internet. Disabling and reenabling airport seems to make the internet work, but sometimes it will frequently go back down only after loading 1 webpage. It has to be from a software update, I never had it before and it seems to be a more common problem than I first thought.
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz 10.4.10 / linksys wrt546 wireless g router

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 10, 2007, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
I just came on to these forums right now to ask about this problem, I use a linksys wireless router and I lose internet connection frequently, I'm still connected to the router, but not the internet. Disabling and reenabling airport seems to make the internet work, but sometimes it will frequently go back down only after loading 1 webpage. It has to be from a software update, I never had it before and it seems to be a more common problem than I first thought.
Macbook Pro 2.16ghz 10.4.10 / linksys wrt546 wireless g router
I have seen a ton of people posting that their router is disconnecting them from their broadband service when it's almost certainly either the service itself or their modem that's acting weird. Have you restarted your modem lately? A good hard start on a modem will both reboot the modem and reestablish your Internet connection, and that may fix your problem by itself.

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 11, 2007, 09:17 PM

nope, still get the problem.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 13, 2007, 04:53 PM

Okay, here are a few more details for me.

OSX 10.4.10
MacBook 2.16 GHz Core Duo
2 Gig RAM

Internet Service Virgin Media Cable Broadband
Motorola Cable Modem
Airport Extreme Base Station

I have had this same system for over a year. The moment I installed 10.4.10, I began having problems. The problems are:

1. Airport shows in network, Mac is connected to airport but cannot connect to internet. The network troubleshooter says that everything should be fine.
2. The Mac loses connection with the base station (when no more than 1 metre away)
- The base station does not show up in the list even after switching it off and on again or..
- The base station shows up in the list and when I try and connect to it I get the message "Error connecting to network Airport". Then I get options of 'okay' and 'try again'. When trying again it keeps giving me error messages. Eventually I manage to connect although it's a bit hit or miss.

Sometimes I manage to go 3 hours without problems but mostly my connection drops every hour or so.

I have hard rebooted both the airport and the base station. to try and resolve the problems. Obviously these haven't worked.

HELP!

I'm currently doing a complete reinstall of Tiger so perhaps that solves it.

One other factor worth knowing; at the same time that I upgraded to 10.4.10 my ISP also upgraded my internet line to 25meg. I thought that might be relevant but others on the same line in my area have had no issues, I've spoken to my ISP and they say they have had no reports from other people and they've tested the line and say it should be fine. It is possible that my ISP is at fault but I'm not so certain.

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2007, 06:22 AM

Okay, after checking out the Apple support forums, it seems lots of people are having this issue since the 10.4.10 update. Simple solution, hard reset on the base station. Everything works like a charm!

thewishman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2007, 11:34 AM

For those who asked for details (you can also go here for the developing story: Macworld: CD2 Macbook: Aiport gets "self-assigned" IP addres)

- Macbook Core 2 Duo, 2.0Ghz, 1GB Ram, Mac OS 10.4.10, all available updates as of today (oh why did i call apple care before tinkering - the first thing she made me do was go from 10.4.8 to 10.4.10, which may have made everything worse. aaargh)

- Netgear WGR614 (first version), latest firmware available. WPA, no access list, set to b&g mode. I know it is old but it has been working fine with nearly SEVEN windows-based laptops, mine and friends', in the last 4 years including a Toshiba core duo bought recently. So please stop blaming the router.

- The ONLY way I have been able to connect is to set a static IP address on the Macbook, with WPA and no access control, with router set to b+g mode

- BUT it disconnects roughly every 3 minutes. I could be 1-foot from the router and still happens. Clicking on Airport icon often does not even SHOW my router.

- The reason I called Apple care was that DHCP wouldnt work with my router, and she said upgrade. Perhaps I should have tried manual IP with 10.4.8. Oh crap.

Forum Links
Forum Rules