Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Word "disc is full" error

Word "disc is full" error
idykenano
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2008, 08:45 PM

While using Word 2008, I get a popup that reads "The disc is full while trying to write to "Tonks" (the name of my harddrive)... and it goes on for a little bit longer. However, my hard drive is NOT full. I have over 20gb free...
any suggestions?

Cold Warrior
Apr 20, 2008, 09:11 PM

Does this happen at intervals or only when you try to save a document?
Did you recently install any new or updated software?

1. Try deleting your normal.dot template. Search for it in Spotlight by filename.
2. Run Repair Permissions in Disk Utility.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 20, 2008, 09:40 PM

I've seen Word do this. It usually is because Word gets stupid and can't find the folder I want (or more often it's looking for a USB drive that's disconnected). I cancel the save, then use Save As to navigate to where I want the document saved. This usually results in a "that document already exists" condition, but overwriting it won't hurt anything, so that's what I do. This is using Word 2004; YMMV, but try my workaround and see if you get somewhere with it.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

idykenano  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 21, 2008, 12:20 AM

sorry for the lack of clarity... this happens only when the document tries to save the autorecover file.
I am able to save the file over and over again just fine.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 21, 2008, 08:54 AM

Interesting. I want to say that Word has a particular path for autosaving, and that path is faulty somehow. That leads me to believe that you are experiencing a problem with some sort of preference setting in Word.

In Word 2004, the File Locations defaults in Preferences are not always populated-I just looked and I don't have anything filled in for most of the settings, with only User Templates having anything in it at all. If 2008 has similar preference settings, you might be able to fix this by providing an entry for the Documents location preference.

bwik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 18, 2008, 11:32 PM

I have also experienced this problem. It is extremely major. Right now I have an open file with 3-4 hours of unsaved work on it (I know, dumb). Word cannot save it. I only have 25GB free, enough for 6,000 saves of the file. I guess that is not enough. Someone please kill me now.

By the way I complained to MS about this error for 2 months. Did Service Pack 1 fix it? No, I am running MS WOrd 2008 12.1.0 right now and it won't save. FUCC.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2008, 12:07 AM

Actually, there is an error in the error message.

It's meant to read: "Word 2008 is full of crap"

-t

ghporter
Administrator
May 19, 2008, 09:37 AM

I run into this sort of thing from time to time when I try to save a file to my network drive. Word says that the disk is full (a blatant lie) and so I just save the document to my desktop, from which I move the document to my preferred location via Finder. A hassle, but it works. I think Word has some issues with inquiring about available space, among other things. bwik, see if you can save the document anywhere. Let us know how it goes for you.

bwik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2008, 04:39 PM

No, typically I can't save anywhere.

I can even plug in a firewire drive with 53 GB of free space. Can Word save there? No. Can I cut & paste the complex formulas in my document? No. It's pretty sad that Microsoft doesn't know how to program.

One of my colleagues running WinXP also had this problem several months back. He lost a whole day's worth of work.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2008, 05:53 PM

*coughknownissuecough*

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2008, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by bwik View Post
No, typically I can't save anywhere.

I can even plug in a firewire drive with 53 GB of free space. Can Word save there? No. Can I cut & paste the complex formulas in my document? No. It's pretty sad that Microsoft doesn't know how to program.

One of my colleagues running WinXP also had this problem several months back. He lost a whole day's worth of work.
Who types a whole day's worth of work without saving it at least once along the way?

Forum Links
Forum Rules