Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Grand Theft Auto IV

Grand Theft Auto IV (Page 25)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by admo View Post
Here's my little annihilator story.

Finally got my last of 200 pigeons last night. Saved my game and then went to the top of the building to claim my annihilator! Uh, oh, not there. So I took the little cart back to the street, hailed a cab and took it to the heiltours. Flew to the building, and there it is. Tried to gently put down somewhere on the building, but there isn't really any room. So I hovered near the edge and jumped for it. I made it safely to the roof, but my out-of-control helitour copter crashed into the annihilator, turning the annihilator upside down, rendering it uselss. Miraculously, my helitours copter was upright, straddling the helipad and the metal mesh walkway. I was able to get in and take off, but the rear rotor was missing, and the thing just spun like a top, and gleefully crashed into the street below. Never did get in the attack copter (I'll try again later), but had a lot of fun not doing it!
after you finish the game there is always one at the airport. You can also put in a code in your cellphone and it shows up right infront of you.

admo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2008, 11:04 AM

Good to know. I heard that it is at the airport, but I haven't seen it, but I guess as you say it isn't there until you complete the missions. I don't use the cheat codes at all, but may play around with them once I get 100%.

On another note, I am actually getting a HDTV today, and can't wait to see the difference of this game. Not sure if I'll get to play tonight, as we'l probably be watching a blu-ray movie first. Already informed the wife that we will need a HDMI cable, so I won't have to run out later to get one.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2008, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by admo View Post
Good to know. I heard that it is at the airport, but I haven't seen it, but I guess as you say it isn't there until you complete the missions. I don't use the cheat codes at all, but may play around with them once I get 100%.
It is there when you finish the challenges but you don't have to have 100%. It is at the far end of the airport by all the hangers and trucks.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2008, 05:46 PM

anyone else find the crackhouse in Broker/Dukes?
45/47

Dakar the Fourth  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 20, 2008, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
I'm still holding strong to the wait for some PC love...
November 18th.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2008, 05:07 PM

Funny you said that Dakar, because I was just going to come in here and say the same...

On the same note, I'm getting a PS3 and GTA IV for some local play against the PC version, since my Internet sucks. And assuming there is cross-platform play...
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Aug 25, 2008 at 05:14 PM. )
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2008, 11:01 AM

November for the 360 downloadable content, too. Too bad I've forgotten about this game already...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 11:04 AM

And assuming there is cross-platform play...
That sounds like a horrible assumption.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 12:05 PM

OMG Dakar V is alive!

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2008, 12:09 PM

Yes, I was taken out of the cloning tube just this morning.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
That sounds like a horrible assumption.
You really think so? Crap.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2008, 08:15 AM

You really think so? Crap.
I don't profess expertise on the subject, but 360 and PS3 online wasn't mixed, so I doubt PC would be.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I don't profess expertise on the subject, but 360 and PS3 online wasn't mixed, so I doubt PC would be.
If anything there'd be a better chance of the 360 and PC being compatible online, if by any chance Rockstar uses Live for Windows. But if they don't, it's a very good bed it won't connect to either console.

slpdLoad
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 10:54 AM

PC and Console games are usually just slightly different (for instance, console version having a target-lock mode, while the more precise PC doesn't need it). Just little things that can make it so the two wouldn't really work together properly. I doubt it happens on a game so expansive as GTAIV.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2008, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
If anything there'd be a better chance of the 360 and PC being compatible online, if by any chance Rockstar uses Live for Windows. But if they don't, it's a very good bed it won't connect to either console.
Makes sense... Unfortunately. But I won't be getting a 360. Oh well. Just out of curiosity then, about what percentage of games support cross platform play? Any good ones I might be interested in? Because with my Internet sucking so bad and me having only one good gaming computer, I'll need to get my multiplayer fix this way, locally.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2008, 09:18 PM

Makes sense... Unfortunately. But I won't be getting a 360. Oh well. Just out of curiosity then, about what percentage of games support cross platform play? Any good ones I might be interested in? Because with my Internet sucking so bad and me having only one good gaming computer, I'll need to get my multiplayer fix this way, locally.
I think UT3 is 360-PC compatible. But there's not many at all...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2008, 10:57 AM

Anyone caught the zombie virus yet?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 24, 2008, 11:02 AM

I'd be surprised if any of us (still) played it online. It just wasn't very addictive.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:40 AM

New rev out for the PS3. Trophies are available for new games. I play online as the zombie. I'm at level 6. I have seen a few players at level 10.
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 09:46 AM

Meanwhile MS has stated that DLC is slated to drop in the Fall, yet I haven't heard a peep about its content at all.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 27, 2008, 12:55 PM

I really should dust off this game one of these days and get around to beating it.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 27, 2008, 01:01 PM

I'd be playing this game every once in a while if it weren't for the embarrassing driving system.

That and I just played NFS Carbon, where the driving is the exact opposite (your car seems to be always sliding)

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 28, 2008, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
November 18th.
December something now.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 4, 2008, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
New rev out for the PS3. Trophies are available for new games.
IGN posting
Next time you sign into PlayStation Network and boot up GTA IV you'll be prompted to update your game to the latest patch. The 20 MB download contains all of the trophies for the PS3 version of the game, PSN's equivalent of Xbox 360's Achievements.

To view all of them, for both single and multiplayer, visit rockstargames.com/IV/achievements/. While both versions contain the exact same accomplishments, the PlayStation 3 version has an extra one called "Taking A Liberty", which you unlock once you've collected all the other trophies for the game.

If you think you can just boot up the game, download and install the update and have all the trophies for the accomplishments you've made up to the point of your last save... we've got some bad news for you. Unfortunately due to technical limitations you will have to start an entire new game game and play from the beginning to be able to unlock these trophies. In Rockstar's defense, this PlayStation feature was released in July – two months after the release of GTA IV, and naturally wasn't part of the development process.
I notices there are several trophies that have question marks and no descriptions like the others do. I wonder if they are for the upcoming DLC.
45/47

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2008, 12:05 AM

Hey everyone,
i haven't posted here in what feels like years but if anyone remembers i entered into the 100% club during the 100% Club Contest that Rockstar Games was having, having completed 100% of GTA IV in the first 7 days after release i was awarded a "prize" which i've finally received today, pictures to come....

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2008, 03:34 AM

Intrigued.

December 2nd for any other PC gamers waiting, by the way. *hears crickets* Heh.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 05:52 AM

its some kind of key isn't it? Kotaku posted photos a few days ago, pretty cool of Rockstar.

I got bored of GTA4 surprisingly quickly, cant remember why. Will have to pick it up again and see if its any more fun.
we don't have time to stop for gas

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2008, 01:48 PM

The multiplayer really didn't have any lasting appeal. The races were pretty damn cool but In deathmatch you could barely see where anyone was, let alone actually shoot at them.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The multiplayer really didn't have any lasting appeal. The races were pretty damn cool but In deathmatch you could barely see where anyone was, let alone actually shoot at them.
The problem was target-lock made it too easy, and without it was damned hard. Also, game navigation was a little suspect (i.e., changing modes unexpectedly would suddenly open an otherwise private game).

Honestly, what the game lacks is a Gears of War cover system.

---

Oh, I hear DLC is probably not coming this year.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2008, 08:31 PM

some quick pics of the "key to the city"

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2008, 08:34 PM

I wonder if this can make front page nn.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 08:53 AM

'Lost and Damned' DLC on Feb 17th 2009

Looks like you'll play a new character, one of 'The Lost' biker gang, in Liberty City. If I remember, 'The Lost' biker gang are in one of the early missions, where some guy's daughter is seeing one of the gang, and you have to go out and do damage to them for it, with the bike chase into the park (that was 'The Lost' wasn't it? ). If I'm right on that one, it would be cool to have a bit of crossover with Niko, like a mission where you have to kill 'some Russian guy' who's been sent by your girlfriends father.

Seems like a decent way of making a new game out of the same place, without having to download a new city or anything like that, just making a different story with a different character.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 09:29 AM

This is coming WAY too late. I've already forgotten about this game, and I doubt I'll be paying to download more content. If this had come out within the first month or two of release I'd have been all over it, though...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
This is coming WAY too late.
I agree that should have came out in the past month, but if there's a good time to come out, that Dead Zone after Christmas might be it.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 20, 2008, 01:41 PM

I don't see why you would want new DLC a month or two after release, when you're still either busy with the game or have it fresh on your mind. It seems DLC released much later would be a reason to bring you back to the game. Besides, with the packed gaming season as it is, what kind of a chance did a bit of DLC stand? I think a February release makes much more sense.

Side Note: Will the PC version ship with this DLC? If not, will it even be available.

I thought I remembered something about no DLC for the PC version, but it may have been another game. Doesn't really matter, as mods, skins, etc... will be possible on the PC version.

EDIT: Says Xbox LIVE only. Maybe it'll show up on Windows LIVE.
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Nov 20, 2008 at 01:50 PM. )

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 01:59 PM

I don't see why you would want new DLC a month or two after release, when you're still either busy with the game or have it fresh on your mind. It seems DLC released much later would be a reason to bring you back to the game. Besides, with the packed gaming season as it is, what kind of a chance did a bit of DLC stand? I think a February release makes much more sense.
Only if it's compelling enough to warrant going back to the game. This isn't.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2008, 02:00 PM

What were you expecting?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2008, 03:13 PM

Honestly, I don't think anything would be compelling enough for me to bust out the game again in February. Wasn't really expecting anything, though.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 09:37 AM

Heh, a couple of friends I never see on invited me to play this last night. I wasn't awful at the driving, considering. Still think it looks amazing, after playing Gears 2.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2008, 12:06 PM

Is there something wrong with the way Gears 2 looks?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 21, 2008, 12:11 PM

Uh, no.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:37 PM

No love for the PS3? I'm busy collecting trophy's since old saves don't count. since I've earned the ones that get locked by the cheats I'm going to start a new game and turn them on from the get go and go for the "New York minute" trophy. BTW the IGN page says the "Ice Cream truck" trick does not count as a cheat is wrong.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:45 PM

PC version users get to make and upload their own video clips
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/#?pa...ontent=editorl
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:49 PM

No love for the PS3?
The PS3 users on the forum are a very quiet bunch. Most of the vocal ones are dual-platformers.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:52 PM

Its hard to tell from looking from the back, but my guess is that you play the biker that goes with Niko to the heroin deal
( Last edited by Chongo; Dec 1, 2008 at 12:15 PM. )
45/47

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 01:54 PM

Its hard to tell from looking from the back, but my guess is that you play the biker that goes with Niko to the heroin deal
Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
'Lost and Damned' DLC on Feb 17th 2009

Looks like you'll play a new character, one of 'The Lost' biker gang, in Liberty City. If I remember, 'The Lost' biker gang are in one of the early missions, where some guy's daughter is seeing one of the gang, and you have to go out and do damage to them for it, with the bike chase into the park (that was 'The Lost' wasn't it? ). If I'm right on that one, it would be cool to have a bit of crossover with Niko, like a mission where you have to kill 'some Russian guy' who's been sent by your girlfriends father.

Seems like a decent way of making a new game out of the same place, without having to download a new city or anything like that, just making a different story with a different character.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 24, 2008, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I saw that post. my guess was right.
from the GTA 4 Wikipedia article
Johnny Klebitz

Introduced in: "Blow Your Cover"

Johnny Klebitz is the main protagonist and playable character of the first episodic pack for Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned.

Johnny is a 32 year old member of The Lost biker gang and is first met by Niko after they are both entrusted to watch over a heroin deal for Elizabeta and Playboy X. The deal turns out to be an LCPD sting, and Johnny disappears during the ensuing gunfight. He later reappears to assist Niko with a Conflict diamonds deal with Isaac Roth, on behalf of Ray Boccino. The deal is ambushed by members of The Lost, and Johnny escapes with two million dollars in cash. Niko is later sent to find and eliminate his friends.

Dan Houser describes Johnny to be "a very different character than Niko, with a very different background
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/...a-damned_N.htm
45/47

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2008, 08:55 PM

Just a few more days...

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2008, 08:40 AM

few more months you mean?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2008, 08:02 PM

Actually, I'm waiting on the release of GTA IV... on the PC, that is.

Forum Links
Forum Rules