Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Toilets: You are using them incorrectly

Toilets: You are using them incorrectly
Rumor
Oct 20, 2008, 04:57 AM

http://www.montereyherald.com/opinion/ci_10760967

Let's talk toilets.

Prison officials find this topic high on their agenda list because, on account of toilets and toilets alone, prisons are one of the highest water users in any state.

If they wish, prisoners can flush 100 times a day, using water at an alarming rate.

Some prisons have placed timers to limit flushes to twice every 15 minutes, still an amazing amount of water going down the drain.

Those of us not incarcerated (did you know nearly 7 million Americans fall under one of the three Ps — prisoners, on probation or on parole?) will flush 140,000 times in our lifetime, while a prisoner can rack up that number in just a three-year stint. It's because they do nearly everything besides use them as toilets.

Prisoners drain the toilet water and talk to any cell linked by the same pipe. They build fires in emptied tanks, stuff laundry down them and flush until their cells are flooded, which allows extra time outside.

They wash their clothes in them, use them as tiny pools for relief from heat, flush to warn of inspections or guard shift changes and even have flushing codes for chess moves.

They make "prison hooch," a wine brewed by soaking bags of fruit juice in the toilet.

In the United Kingdom, toilets had to be turned away from Mecca for the Muslim prisoners.

Interesting thing is, prisoners are kind of on the right track. Toilets would make a lot more sense for any function besides us sitting on them. Western toilets place
Advertisement
us in a position that is most disadvantageous for well, going to the bathroom. To properly eliminate, we should be squatting, which offers perfect inter-abdominal pressure to empty bowels and bladders. It's almost impossible for a squatter to have hemorrhoids or hiatal hernia (causing reflux), diverticulitis and even in some literature, appendicitis (don't get me started on appendicitis).

For the body to properly, efficiently and even completely eliminate, knees should be higher than hips. Toilet sitters can place a small stool under their feet to achieve the proper position and watch in amazement as incontinence and constipation are nearly eliminated.

Having knees higher than hips does something else besides create proper abdominal pressure — it takes the pressure off the back of the legs. It turns out we have a pressure point on the back of the legs that shuts things down for a few seconds. Kids use it all the time. They cross their legs when they "have to go," placing pressure on their thighs, giving them time to make it to the restroom. But if you're sitting on a toilet, the only pressure is on the back of the legs, mandating that the sphincters remain closed. Essentially having our knees at the same level as the hips and applying pressure on the thighs is telling our body to do anything but go to the bathroom.

And then, what animal do you know besides ducks that defecates in their fresh water supply? Geez, even a hardened criminal knows that's the last thing we should be doing with a toilet.

Joy Colangelo of Pacific Grove is an occupational therapist and the author of "Embodied Wisdom: What Our Anatomy Can Teach Us About The Art Of Living." Her column runs in Opinion on the first and third Sundays of each month. She can be reached at [email protected].
I found this to be an interesting article I found while in the midst of an insomnia session.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 12:08 PM

Sounds like the beginnings of a book...

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2008, 12:14 PM

Maybe we need a toilet and poop subsection to this forum?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 12:43 PM

I thought that's what the PL was for.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2008, 10:16 PM

Poop thread!!!!!!!!!11111111

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 12:24 AM

Never used one, but I coincidentally just read a chapter from a biography in which the author describes his experience with Japanese toilets.

Sounds (and looks) like they did it the right way.

But here's my question: how do you go #2 without pooping straight into your pants, which should be wrapped around your ankles at the time of evacuation.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 22, 2008, 12:44 AM

You position yourself in the fetal position

Timothy Leary's brain
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2008, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Never used one, but I coincidentally just read a chapter from a biography in which the author describes his experience with Japanese toilets.

But here's my question: how do you go #2 without pooping straight into your pants, which should be wrapped around your ankles at the time of evacuation.
Actually, squatting is better. Just remember to wash your hands before shaking someone elses.

Rumor  (op)
Oct 22, 2008, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post

Ever **** in the woods?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rumor View Post
Ever **** in the woods?
Of course. I just usually hung my butt over a fallen over log somewhere though.

Originally Posted by Timothy Leary's brain View Post
Actually, squatting is better. Just remember to wash your hands before shaking someone elses.
I'd be in Asia. I would just bow.

Forum Links
Forum Rules