Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Invisible Shield for iPhone 4?

Invisible Shield for iPhone 4?
frankthetank966
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 12, 2010, 12:29 PM

Apple claims that the the new glass on the iPhone 4 is 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic...and more scratch resistant than ever....

Are y'all going to buy a Zagg invisible shield for the iPhone 4? A full body shield comes to about$30 with S&H.
 16 GB 2nd Generation Black iPod Touch w/Contour Showcase
 White Core 2 Duo Macbook with: 2.0 GHz/1 GB Ram/80 GB Hard Drive

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 12, 2010, 12:38 PM

Hell no.

I have used my iPhone 3G for 2 years w/o any protector, carrying it in my pockets with other stuff.

The result: 1 tiny scratch, about 1/8 inch long.

-t

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 10:50 AM

Have you used an invisible shield before? I had one for my iPod touch years ago and absolutely hated it. It has a very rubbery almost tacky texture that makes dragging your finger smoothly across the screen very difficult. It was also tough to get out of my pocket. It is not optical quality so it imparts a distortion to your display - why have the best phone display in the world only to cover it with a rubbery plastic?

The screen is remarkably scratch resistant, almost scratch-proof. It can shatter catastrophically if it is struck just the right way though - I think that's the idea behind Apple's bumpers. I'm planning on looking into one of those (I'd be much more excited about them if they weren't all teenage-girl colors though).

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by awaspaas View Post
Have you used an invisible shield before? I had one for my iPod touch years ago and absolutely hated it. It has a very rubbery almost tacky texture that makes dragging your finger smoothly across the screen very difficult. It was also tough to get out of my pocket. It is not optical quality so it imparts a distortion to your display - why have the best phone display in the world only to cover it with a rubbery plastic?
I've had the exact opposite experience with using plastic shields. I've always found that they feel smoother than the iPod's screen, making it much easier to drag my finger across the screen. Your experience probably depends on which shield you're using.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by rjenkinson View Post
I've had the exact opposite experience with using plastic shields. I've always found that they feel smoother than the iPod's screen, making it much easier to drag my finger across the screen. Your experience probably depends on which shield you're using.
Yes, the tackiness is limited to the flexible polyurethane products - there are several brands, Invisible Shields being the most notable. They have a bizarre irregular texture - Google "orange peel effect" for some pictures. These also seem to have the worst optical distortion, in my opinion.

The rigid adhesive plastic protectors are more appropriate for the screen in my opinion as they have less friction against finger movement, but they still have some shimmery optical distortion of the pixels that bothered me (visible on white backgrounds mostly). I quit using the rigid screen protector too because it was degrading the picture too much.

Like the above poster I've used my iPhone without screen protection for over a year in my jeans pocket every day with NO scratches.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 13, 2010, 12:01 PM

I have it on the backs of my iPod classic and my iPhone 3GS.

I didn't apply it to the display, as I really like the feel of Apple's glass.

On the back, it has the advantage of making the phone less slippery and giving it scratch-protection without adding any bulk.

On the new form factor, I'll probably be getting a Bumper so I think I'll pass on the Shield this time.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2010, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I have it on the backs of my iPod classic and my iPhone 3GS.

I didn't apply it to the display, as I really like the feel of Apple's glass.

On the back, it has the advantage of making the phone less slippery and giving it scratch-protection without adding any bulk.

On the new form factor, I'll probably be getting a Bumper so I think I'll pass on the Shield this time.
I agree with that - if one is worried that the phone is too slippery, then Invisible Shield on the back might be a good idea.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 13, 2010, 05:02 PM

Thanks for the responses. I have never owned an Iphone so I dont know how they hold up.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2010, 05:34 PM

I had previously used invisible shields on all of my iProducts: an iPod classic, an iPod nano, an iPod touch, and a white iPhone 3G. Up until the white iPhone my experiences were great: they reduced scratches, which - especially on the plastic-faced nanos and classics - was a god send, considering Apple even got sued over the scratch-prone nature of them. However, on my iPhone, the shield slowly discolored, turning the beautiful white back of my phone into a nasty, orangish-brown color. Zagg was nice enough to replace it, however that one also discolored, and I tore the shield off and threw it in the trash. Now I use an iSkin.

Moral of the story: if you have a white iPhone, stay far, far away. Also, I think they've cheapened out on the product, as the ones I bought circa 2005 for my nano and classic have held up extremely well, with no warping, discoloration, or tears. The ones on my iPod touch and iPhone 3G however discolored (you just can't see the discoloration very much on the chrome back of the touch), warped, peeled - especially around the edges - and easily puncture and tear. There are far better alternatives than invisible shield, especially in 2010.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2010, 06:31 PM

I've always used Invisible Shields on my chrome-backed iPods. If they even got a scratch, Zagg had great customer service and would ship out a new one ASAP. However, I think the iPhone 4 will hold up really well. All who have used one say it's easily the most solid-feeling iPhone yet.

CIA
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2010, 03:42 AM

I've had a full body invisible shield on my original iPhone since launch. I'm lucky enough to live near Salt Lake City where Zagg has it's HQ. They have a lifetime warranty which I've taken advantage of about once every 10-12 months or so bringing it down for a replacement. The rounded corners are a pain to self install.
3 years later my iPhone looks as good as new when it's cover is off.

I agree the screen cover is a little overkill, and I probably wouldn't put one on again onto the iphone 4, but on the backs it's great.

Have a full shield (front and back) on my iPad as well, very happy with it.
Work: 2008 8x3.2 MacPro, 8800GT, 16GB ram, zillions of HDs. (video editing)
Home: 2008 24" 2.8 iMac, 2TB Int, 4GB ram.
Road: 2009 13" 2.26 Macbook Pro, 8GB ram & 640GB WD blue internal
Retired to BOINC only: My trusty never-gonna-die 12" iBook G4 1.25

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 22, 2010, 08:47 AM

I used the ZAGG shield for years, until I realized how much nicer the phone feels and works without it. It's been about a year since I removed the shield, not a single scratch.

But if you're prone to dropping, sitting on, or transport diamonds around in the same pocket as your phone, then I'd probably get it. It is an amazing product.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Hodog16
Jun 24, 2010, 10:00 AM

Thought about it, but decided to order Marware's sportgrip edge for the 4. Hasn't come out yet but is shaped like Apple's bumpers, includes front and rear screen protectors, and comes in red for $19.99 or as cheap as $12.99 at macmall.com.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2010, 08:03 PM

I don't like the rubbery, orange peel look and feel of Invisible Shield. I'm putting a (www.bodyguardz.com) film on the back and a crystal shield (www.powersupportusa.com) on the front.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2010, 10:11 PM

I don't use a screen protector to protect my screen from scratches. I use it to protect my screen from smudges. I find the matte screen protectors to be great at preventing a smudged screen and also create a smoother surface for sliding a finger along.

Libid21
Jun 24, 2010, 11:31 PM

I was thinking about this as well. I've used Invisible Shield on most of the electronic products that I've bought since the iAudio X5L. I've bought it for my iPod Classic, Blackberry Curve (Screen), and I've also gotten a lot of my friends to buy it as well. I was wondering how well the Invisible Shield works with touch screen pads. Since I have never used a touch screen before, maybe I won't experience the same tackiness problems, but I do agree that the quality of the Invisible Shields have regressed since I first bought one in 2007. I had a problem with a small part of my shield but they didn't want to return it. And my sister's iPod Classic shield wasn't properly cut so she had to use a hole puncher to fix it.

I'll be looking at my options when I do get my phone. I drop my phone about 5-10 times a year, so I definitely need a durable case... but hopefully one that doesn't sacrifice too much 'style'. A bunch of these cases like the Bumpers makes it seem more like the older version of iPhones because of how the edges are. But who knows... I'll make my mind up when I actually have the phone.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 09:32 AM

I was going to skip the invisible shield on the iPhone 4, but decided today to buy one. I like the feel of the glass without it, but the smudges are getting to me.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2010, 10:28 AM

I've ordered a bumper, but looking at that Marware sportgrip edge, I might cancel and go for one of those. Its half the price of a bumper, and comes with films for the front and back.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Libid21
Jun 25, 2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I was going to skip the invisible shield on the iPhone 4, but decided today to buy one. I like the feel of the glass without it, but the smudges are getting to me.
Let me know how you like it. Take a pic afterwards perhaps?

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2010, 02:53 PM

I have this on my iphone and its peeling off the edges. does anyone not have it on their phone? i am wondering how the screen holds up.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I have this on my iphone and its peeling off the edges. does anyone not have it on their phone? i am wondering how the screen holds up.
Yep, I had an invisible shield ... took it off 'cause it ended up looking like crap.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep, I had an invisible shield ... took it off 'cause it ended up looking like crap.
How is the screen holding up so far?

mkerr64
Senior User
Jun 27, 2010, 06:10 PM

i love the invisible shield by Zagg. i can practically do anything i want to it and it wont get scratched.. i even got it on my MBP. incredible product
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
I've ordered a bumper, but looking at that Marware sportgrip edge, I might cancel and go for one of those. Its half the price of a bumper, and comes with films for the front and back.
Same here. Heck, for the price on MacMall (13 bucks), even without the bumper it's a steal. Everyone else is charging $20+ for front/back films.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2010, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
How is the screen holding up so far?
Perfectly fine. Just keep it away from hard stuff.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2010, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Perfectly fine. Just keep it away from hard stuff.
I am going to give it another chance and if it doesnt look good this time i am taking it off.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 09:32 PM

I'd just like to give a word of warning to people considering one of these on a white iPhone 4: Don't! As I posted earlier in the thread, while it isn't noticeable on black finishes, over time the InvisibleShield films can yellow.

From what I've heard, some of the other ones, e.g. Wrapsol/Best Skins Ever, don't yellow with age. Something to consider.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'd just like to give a word of warning to people considering one of these on a white iPhone 4: Don't! As I posted earlier in the thread, while it isn't noticeable on black finishes, over time the InvisibleShield films can yellow.

From what I've heard, some of the other ones, e.g. Wrapsol/Best Skins Ever, don't yellow with age. Something to consider.
Brian, I will back you up on that the white did indeed yellow on my macbook. It's gross too. I am going to leave the shield on now hopefully the kinds wil get worked out.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2010, 09:40 PM

Yeah. The bubbles/lines will eventually go away - most of them anyway - but if you don't like it, there are other alternatives out there.

Libid21
Jun 27, 2010, 11:18 PM

I'm wondering if any of you guys who actually have the Invisible Shields by ZAGG can post a picture of your iPhone maybe (two pics ) so I can see how it looks. How is the monitor? Does it respond as well as without it or does it lose some sensitivity if you put a invisible shield over it? Thanks.

frankthetank966  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2010, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
I'm wondering if any of you guys who actually have the Invisible Shields by ZAGG can post a picture of your iPhone maybe (two pics ) so I can see how it looks. How is the monitor? Does it respond as well as without it or does it lose some sensitivity if you put a invisible shield over it? Thanks.
The screen is not all thy different to be honest. Typin is slightly different but doesn't take long to learn. The only thing that annoys me is the
Bubbles around the edges but apparently they dossapear eventually

Forum Links
Forum Rules