Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > help with external hd...

help with external hd...
Spidey79
May 30, 2005, 07:14 PM

hey guys, I am a newly convert to the ibook and it is great. The thing is that I had a pc and I trasfered stuff onto my hd such as files and music. It is a Maxtor II 1 touch model, 200 gb. I use it to preview items because it say that I can. But what I wanted to do was to be able to write on the external hd and save my info... SO I can read info from it, but I can't copy stuff onto it... Is there a way around that like a hack? thanks

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 30, 2005, 07:22 PM

No, your drive is formatted in NTFS.
The only option you have is to copy all your files to another computer then use your Mac to format the drive into FAT32. You can do this using Disk Utility located in your applications folder /Utilities.

Once the drive is FAT32 both computers will be able to read the drive. However single files larger than 4GBs will not copy to the drive.

toffe
Forum Regular
May 31, 2005, 05:11 AM

what's the difference in prestanda when using fat32 and the mac's standard formatting stuff.
I bought a hard drive that i haven't started using yet. I plan to use it for my iBook. (i now have a pc, but i can copy files via dvd also)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
May 31, 2005, 10:23 AM

If you plan on using the HD with many computers FAT32 is ideal because both PC and Mac can both natively read it without extra software.

Mac can't write to NTFS at all, PC can read/write HFS with some help.

Forum Links
Forum Rules