Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Problem connecting flash drive to Fusion

Problem connecting flash drive to Fusion
TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 08:56 PM

I've been having a hell of a time trying to get USB flash drives recognized in Windows XP Pro via Fusion. The issue is somewhere between Fusion and Windows because Fusion recognizes the device properly (it's blue USB icon is lit up in the bottom right of the window and even has the correct name), but the drive doesn't pop up in Windows Explorer. I've tried with two different kinds so far (both DOS formatted) with no luck. Any ideas?
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

TimmyDee51  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 31, 2008, 09:30 PM

Never mind. I turned off USB 2.0 support and the drives popped up. FYI.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 4, 2008, 04:43 PM

How many drives do you have in Fusion?

Windows has a tendency to get confused, requiring manually assigning drive letters.

Try turning on USB 2.0 support again and try this.

Right click on My Computer, click Manage. Click Disk Management in the left hand pane.
Scroll down the list of drives in the right hand pane and see if you can see your flash drive there, it helps if your flash drive has a unique name.
If your drive is there and it has a drive letter, see if it has one that's already taken under My Computer for something else. If it isn't taken by anything else and it still won't show up, click in the address bar and type the drive letter it is assigned followed by a colon i.e. F: and press enter.

If the drive has the same letter as something else, in Disk Management, right click it and click 'Change drive letter or path'. A dialog will appear, click change. Select a new letter, I usually choose M: since it's rare for that to be used by something else. Click yes at the warning about changing drive letters potentially causing problems.
Hopefully Autorun will run or it will show up in My Computer.

Good luck.

Forum Links
Forum Rules