Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > External drives / sleep problems

External drives / sleep problems
kamina
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 24, 2011, 04:17 AM

I have a few external drives, mainly different versions of WD Mybook's (500GB Pro with FW & USB2, 1024GB version with FW, Esata and USB2, 2048GB with USB), and a Buffalo (1024GB FW, USB, E-Sata) which have been attached to a late 2006 iMac C2D with Snow Leopard.

All drives work well with both USB and FW, untill at some point they stop responding. Actually my whole Finder will pretty much jam until I turn the power switch on the disk (get an OSX error for unplugging a disk in an unsafe way but suddenly the computer starts responding again). My assumption is that the drive goes into some kind of power saving and OSX can't wake it up again. The problem is annoying, and makes using a locally attached disk for timemachine backups quite a hassle. I've tested the disks on a Synology NAS and there they seem to work just fine.

Does this sound normal? Would it be a problem with so many disks, or rather the computer it self? Is there any simple solution (I already removed the "put disks to sleep when possible" setting to no avail; this seems to rather be related to putting the computer itself to sleep for so long that the disk goes into hibernation and when the computer wakes up the disk does not).

If there's no elegant solution (and no, a cron script writing to the disk every 10s is not elegant IMO) then what would be a recommended model with FW 800 and USB that would work?

ibook_steve
Feb 24, 2011, 02:15 PM

Check the drive manufacturer's web site for software that can adjust the drive's firmware settings so that it never sleeps. This software is usually PC only, but you can run it in Boot Camp or virtualization software if necessary.

And in the case that this is not the problem, you should run Disk Utility and check to make sure there are no problems with the drive(s).

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules