Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't View Certain Web Sites

Can't View Certain Web Sites
Kaps
Oct 17, 2002, 10:49 PM

I am helping a friend out with her computer. She has the following problem: There are certain web sites that she has difficulties viewing. When she is connected, many web sites work fine, so it is not a problem with the connection. We tried accessing the web site on many different occasions (to rule out the problem being on their end). I tried accessing the web site on my computer and it loaded with no problem (I'm using OS 8.6). She was using System 9.0.2 so I upgraded her to 9.2.1. That didn't help. She is using IE. (I was too.) I trashed the cache and history files; I trashed System preferences and internet preferences; I rebuilt the desktop, I ran TechTool Pro and Norton Utilities. None of these helped. I don't remember all of the sites that she was having problems with, but one of them is EddieBauer. The problem is consistent. For example, every time she tries to go to the EddieBauer web site, the top graphic loads and part of the menus at the top of the page. Nothing further loads. On the bottom of the window, the status bar says that it is transferring 0 K [i.e. zero K].

Any suggestions?

H�rnchen
Forum Regular
Oct 18, 2002, 03:02 AM

Use another browser.
Mozilla, Opera, iCab, one of them will do!
Murphy's Second Corollary:
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Fredo
Senior User
Oct 18, 2002, 03:02 PM

Try giving IE more memory. This may or may not solve the problem.
Close out IE. Hilite(single click) the IE icon(not an alias). Key command(apple) - i. In the "show" box, scroll down to "memory". In the "minimum" and "preferred" boxes, increase the amount to double the "suggested" amount. Restart.
Hope this helps.
Who are the Brain Police?

Forum Links
Forum Rules