Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Let's Solve Another Neighborly Dispute!

Let's Solve Another Neighborly Dispute!
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 03:43 PM

OK guys, here's one for you:

We have a rental house next to us. In my county, our trash is paid for and picked up privately by several waste management companies.

Our neighbors moved in in March. All seemed fine for a while, but little by little, things have worsened. They have 2 large barrels for trash on the side of their house- our side. Both barrels are full and overflowing. There are also about 6 large bags of trash outside the bins. This trash has been building up for at least 3 weeks.

We have a Community Service Association. But before we went to them, we decided to do what is usually advised- go to the neighbor first. We told the mother. My partner went over there and asked if they could pick up the trash on this side of the house. At this time, there were several bags strewn around that their untethered dog had torn up. Well, all she did was pull the neck back and shoot daggers from her eyes as if to say "who are you to tell me to pick up the trash?" Then she just got in her vehicle and left.

The next morning though, some of her kids came and moved the bags in an orderly fashion and bagged the rest up. OK, progress. Well, that was over a week ago. Trash pick up is one day a week. It never went to the curb. So, we sent an anonymous note to the CSA. That was Wednesday or Thursday last week. The trash is still piling up- been rebagged and torn up again. My family came down for a visit and I have to say it was embarassing and appalling. We have many flies in our backyard and the smell in this lovely 90˚ humidity is lovely. I cannot imagine the maggots.

I'm assuming there is a law against this. I am also assuming it poses a health hazard. So, I guess the next step is to go to the Building Safety and Regulatory Services.

Yet, I know that this will be the start of a nasty battle and I guess I tend to avoid conflict, especially with neighbors. What would you do?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 03:47 PM

Wow, that sucks.

Can't give advice, I'm not as kind or proactive as you. But yeah, I'd go down the route where they might get fined (if its possible) for their unsanitary practice.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 03:50 PM

Set it on fire.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 03:52 PM

Do you know their landlord ?
Talk to them, and see what they have to say.

I'm pretty sure these folks are violating their lease agreement.

-t

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Set it on fire.
I can't imagine the smell and toxicity of that option!

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Do you know their landlord ?
Talk to them, and see what they have to say.

I'm pretty sure these folks are violating their lease agreement.

-t
The landlords hardly speak english and aren't that crazy about us since they had to pay to have our tree removed from their yard. But, I'm not ruling it out.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 03:58 PM

Hey, at least you won that battle.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2008, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
The landlords hardly speak english and aren't that crazy about us since they had to pay to have our tree removed from their yard. But, I'm not ruling it out.
Ok.. I'll bite. Why was your tree in their yard?

Edit: Was that another thread?

Edit: Found it.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 05:03 PM

Build a fence on your side to block the view?

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 05:11 PM

I don't have to SEE it to know it's there.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 05:19 PM

If your neighbor has a swamp cooler, you could stick a dead animal in it. The smell would get so bad they'd probably think it was the garbage and move it (hopefully to the street.)
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 05:26 PM

Yes, I'd second the option of hiding dead animals on their property - under decks, up in the eaves, anywhere you can stuff a carcass is good news.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 05:35 PM

Isnt this a job for "Code Enforcement"? They seem to be the Dept. that handles unsafe, unsanitary, and unwanted conditions found at homes visible to neighbors and public.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Yes, I'd second the option of hiding dead animals on their property - under decks, up in the eaves, anywhere you can stuff a carcass is good news.
And then build a fence to keep the smell out of your property ?

-t

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2008, 06:12 PM

Call Len Tillem.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
And then build a fence to keep the smell out of your property ?

-t
A large fan should do the trick. Really large.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 07:07 PM

So, would most of you go to the city level or talk to them again or what? You know if the city or county or anything calls on them, they will blame us whether we called them in or not.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
A large fan should do the trick. Really large.
Big Ass Fans

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Big Ass Fans - The Fridge

gofridge?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2008, 07:26 PM

You feel like you have truly exhausted all efforts to communicate with the neigbours about this?

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
Ha, no, not me. I didn't know he was a spokesman. They have a cool product and I remembered it from a few years ago, and of course, the name is brilliant.

Odd, however, I had him down for one of my 10 celebrity death pics for 2008. http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...elebrity+death

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 3, 2008, 07:46 PM

One of the buildings on my company's campus uses Big Ass Fans. Those things can move some air.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 07:58 PM

Railroader
Banned
Jun 3, 2008, 08:24 PM

Coincidentally, our neighbor's dog tore into the bottom of one of my trash cans and strew garbage everywhere. It is a very thick industrial plastic can too. I understand your problem.

[BLOG] The relationship we have with them is horrible. The day after we moved in, I knocked on their door and the wife answered looking down her nose at me. I introduced myself and said I looked forward to getting to know them better. She asked "Are there any of those kids in the house?" I tilted my head and said "What do you mean?" She clenched her jaw and screeched "YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!" And them promptly slammed the door in my face. When I see them I wave to them and they quickly look away. They hate us. Why you ask? Because I work for a ministry that takes care of children and she doesn't like having "those kids" living near her. Now ask me what her profession is. Seriously ask. I'm glad you asked, she is a pastor of a Church. That's right, a pastor of a Church. I asked around and met a member of the church and without revealing who I am asked what missions they support. None. Not one. I asked what kind of community work they do. None. I asked what do they do, he said we listen to stories about her life. I asked if the topic of the across-the-street neighbors ever come up and he said that she talks all the time about how horrid they are. How they party, cuss, beat their kids, and are outright sinners. I assured him that I don't drink, swear, I work for a ministry that cares for abused children, and try to live as the Bible instructs. He looked at me funny and I invited him over for dinner. He came, we had a good time, and he no longer attends that church. [/BLOG]

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread KeriVit, but sometimes you just can't deal with people. You have to go around them. Some people will keep telling you to keep dialog open and to do everything before contacting authorities. I suggest you take care of your health and investment and call someone in a position of authority who can do more than you are able. If it was just junk and not household waste, then a fence would probably be your only solution, but you have a health code violation on your hands. Are you in the city limits? I always had good luck going through my city council member of my district. He would lean on the police force and get the job done.

design219
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I work for a ministry that cares for abused children
Nice work man. Very nice work.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 3, 2008, 08:45 PM

Nice work man. Very nice work.
Well, not just abused children, but abandoned, or from homes where the parents can not care or provide for the children. It's good work, some of the hardest I have ever done, but also the most rewarding. The pay is abysmal, but I am not in it for the pay.

Thanks.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 08:52 PM

That's okay Railroader, i respect your opinion. The thing is, we are in a Community. Thus, we pay dues, we get tickets and fines if we don't mow the lawn, we can't leave anything in the yard or park the wrong way. It pisses me off, we get a certified letter and a regular letter if the weeds get too high. (This happens every year before the first mow- the weeds grow higher than the grass.) Anyway, they spend $350 sending notices to a hundred residents, but I actually report violations and thehy do nothing. I could go on about how lovely the CSA is, but I don't have time.

Have I exhausted my options of asking them? Well, yes, really, I think one reminder is enough to tell them to get their trash to the curb. Another would be just as bad - maybe worse than the CSA. I didn't mentioned, they have 9 kids ranging from 4 to 24. These kids are mannerless, leave toys and trash on our yard. They hit the puppy that is left in the front yard all day. (Unless he's chained to a barbell in the back.) The pup steals stuff from our lawn and chews it. The kids walk right into our garage when we sit in there leisuring.

Don't get me wrong, despite the manners, we treat the kids well. We ask them to address us not by our 1st names, but "Miss Kerivit" etc. we share toys and ideas with them and it's fine. We ignore them if they say "hey! Kerivit! Whatchu doin?" But, now the house has become the hangout for thentire spectrum of neighborhood kids with a wide range of, ummmmm.... attitudes.

But, all we want addressed is the trash. As much as I hate rodents, you might consider bringing them in just to prove apoint, ya know?

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 08:54 PM

Well, not just abused children, but abandoned, or from homes where the parents can not care or provide for the children. It's good work, some of the hardest I have ever done, but also the most rewarding. The pay is abysmal, but I am not in it for the pay.

Thanks.
Am I to assume the kids might be black, and that caused her to add "those children" or am I off?

Railroader
Banned
Jun 3, 2008, 09:22 PM

That's okay Railroader, i respect your opinion. The thing is, we are in a Community. Thus, we pay dues, we get tickets and fines if we don't mow the lawn, we can't leave anything in the yard or park the wrong way. It pisses me off, we get a certified letter and a regular letter if the weeds get too high. (This happens every year before the first mow- the weeds grow higher than the grass.) Anyway, they spend $350 sending notices to a hundred residents, but I actually report violations and thehy do nothing. I could go on about how lovely the CSA is, but I don't have time.

Have I exhausted my options of asking them? Well, yes, really, I think one reminder is enough to tell them to get their trash to the curb. Another would be just as bad - maybe worse than the CSA. I didn't mentioned, they have 9 kids ranging from 4 to 24. These kids are mannerless, leave toys and trash on our yard. They hit the puppy that is left in the front yard all day. (Unless he's chained to a barbell in the back.) The pup steals stuff from our lawn and chews it. The kids walk right into our garage when we sit in there leisuring.

Don't get me wrong, despite the manners, we treat the kids well. We ask them to address us not by our 1st names, but "Miss Kerivit" etc. we share toys and ideas with them and it's fine. We ignore them if they say "hey! Kerivit! Whatchu doin?" But, now the house has become the hangout for thentire spectrum of neighborhood kids with a wide range of, ummmmm.... attitudes.

But, all we want addressed is the trash. As much as I hate rodents, you might consider bringing them in just to prove apoint, ya know?
Go the CSA route. Document everything. Take pictures. Threaten legal action. Become a bother to them.

Being comfortable in one's home/property is paramount.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 3, 2008, 09:26 PM

Am I to assume the kids might be black, and that caused her to add "those children" or am I off?
We have every color. I don't think it's that, as the neighbor hood is quite diversified. Southeastern Indianapolis has a good mix.

On a side note, ALL of the other neighbors are excellent. The ones next door to the ones with the issues have donated furniture and food. Always asking how they can help. One just bought 5 tons of pea gravel for the play set in our backyard.

It just takes one bad apple...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 09:35 PM

I would try once more to make them see reason. If they aren't going to be reasonable and civil with you, and your HOA people aren't going to do anything about it, take it to the authorities. Yeah, they'll probably be mad at you, but so what? They're already acting like jerks to begin with, so it's not like you're damaging a good relationship.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 10:00 PM

Keri, there is a health department for your county, I guarantee it. Contact them and point out a) your neighbor's trash is piling up because it never gets to the curb to be collected and b) the people seem incapable of handling this basic sanitation issue themselves. That's almost like calling state protective services, but it's from a "gee this is a bad situation for the family" angle. It should get action if your county government is worth anything at all.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 3, 2008, 10:06 PM

Coincidentally...
Railroader, that just plain sucks. First, you have lousy neighbors. Second, they're incredibly horrible examples of people that use the label "Christian" and then ignore what it is supposed to mean. And then there's that "those kids" issue. Whew! My neighbors have all been great, I'm thankful to say. I wish I had some advice for you other than to be strong. Those kids you're taking care of deserve all you can give them, and that's what matters.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 10:07 PM

[BLOG] The relationship we have with them is horrible. The day after we moved in, I knocked on their door and the wife answered looking down her nose at me. I introduced myself and said I looked forward to getting to know them better. She asked "Are there any of those kids in the house?" I tilted my head and said "What do you mean?" She clenched her jaw and screeched "YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!" And them promptly slammed the door in my face. When I see them I wave to them and they quickly look away. They hate us. Why you ask? Because I work for a ministry that takes care of children and she doesn't like having "those kids" living near her. Now ask me what her profession is. Seriously ask. I'm glad you asked, she is a pastor of a Church. That's right, a pastor of a Church. I asked around and met a member of the church and without revealing who I am asked what missions they support. None. Not one. I asked what kind of community work they do. None. I asked what do they do, he said we listen to stories about her life. I asked if the topic of the across-the-street neighbors ever come up and he said that she talks all the time about how horrid they are. How they party, cuss, beat their kids, and are outright sinners. I assured him that I don't drink, swear, I work for a ministry that cares for abused children, and try to live as the Bible instructs. He looked at me funny and I invited him over for dinner. He came, we had a good time, and he no longer attends that church. [/BLOG]
Wow, just wow. That's really a shame.

-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 3, 2008, 10:26 PM

but "Miss Kerivit" etc.

And to think, all this time I've assumed it's Miss Vit.

Well, there's all the time I thought it was Kevrit, which always made me think Kermit, but I'm not counting that.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2008, 10:59 PM

Time to go for the hardcore options - talk to your county's health dept (there should be really interesting ways to do this if you're tired of reasonable - this can include health dept and/or court for a health hazard, diminished property values, etc).

As a proponent of one's house being one's castle, this basically means that you can get it dealt with by any means necessary or useful.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
And to think, all this time I've assumed it's Miss Vit.

Well, there's all the time I thought it was Kevrit, which always made me think Kermit, but I'm not counting that.
No, you got it right.Actually, n the south it would be Miss Keri.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 04:26 PM

I'd just yell at them.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2008, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'd just yell at them.
How pastor-like. You've come a long way Salty.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 04:42 PM

How pastor-like. You've come a long way Salty.
It took you nine minutes to give him ****. Nice to see that you've made progress as well.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 06:12 PM

Well Keri already talked to them about it and she did almost nothing. This is where you get a bit more aggressive, it's not as if the relationship is a healthy one right now so what can be lost aside from perhaps them getting aggressive back. But it's not likely that they're gonna start hurling the garbage over the fence.

Heck I'd probably just walk over, throw on some gloves and some crappy clothes and carry it out to the curb for them and then leave a note saying, you have several kids who should be able to do this but I was so disgusted by the smell I did it myself. I shouldn't have to do this for you. Or something.

Then again I'm also the same sort of person who tells people they can't smoke in bus shelters and does other things that other people are just inclined to take.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2008, 06:15 PM

I agree with Salty. I would actually carry it out for them. Drop a note through their door saying you did that once 'cos it's so ****ing disgusting, and that if they continue to leave it around you will escalate the issue with the association, and ultimately higher.

Tell them you'd rather get along and live and let live, but if they can't deal with their trash then you can't ignore it.
( Last edited by peeb; Jun 4, 2008 at 06:28 PM. )

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 06:24 PM

Honestly, that's not a horrible idea. I'm giving them til I see what day their company does pick up. It's not the same as mine, so I don't know. If they don't put it out for that day... It's On!

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2008, 06:25 PM

By the way in regards to my pastorness... we recently plastered down town Winnipeg with posters that say God Loves Fags, and I got invited on CBC Radio

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 4, 2008, 06:44 PM

Then again I'm also the same sort of person who... does things that other people are just inclined to take.
*giggle*

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2008, 07:16 PM

This is where you get a bit more aggressive, it's not as if the relationship is a healthy one right now so what can be lost aside from perhaps them getting aggressive back.

Your tactical assessment is just horrible. I'd have thrown in peeb's too, but the multiquote is busted.

First and foremost, in terms of the overall goal (getting them to take out the garbage) there is only the slimmest chance that something like open aggression will achieve the goal. This is basic human nature. If we give the target an obvious reason to think we should **** off, it's game over man.

At best, this lets off some steam, and does it in a hugely wasteful way since you've pissed away your goal and have now gotten into a permanent scowl match with the target.

Secondly, the target has already shown a propensity to be an aggressive asshole, i.e. this is the target's strong suit. Even if Miss Keri was an aggressive asshole, there's still likely a better tactic than slamming head-on into a solid object just because her skull can take it. As it stands, I gather she's not, so you're basically sending her into a trap.

What her behavior should be is dependent on her tactical position, and in this situation, short of them not taking out the garbage or becoming violent, she holds all the cards. She owns, they don't. Even though the respective authorities might be slow to act, they're breaking their lease, community standards, and the law, she isn't.

It behooves someone who holds all the cards to be as nice as possible at all times. Especially since there's the potential for the violence card. The last thing she needs to do is give them a reason to be aggressive.

That's not to say she should continue to take it. Quite the opposite. Her friendly requests will be backed by action. If the target refuses, the most likely thing to get them to change their mind (outside of involving the authorities) is to demonstrate how unruffled the refusal has made her.

Further, should the authorities need to be involved, and target stews in their own juices trying to plot revenge, she should still be nice to them. The frustration of not being given a reason to be an asshole will crush their soul.

I've seen it happen, and it's delicious.
( Last edited by subego; Jun 4, 2008 at 07:39 PM. )

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2008, 07:57 PM

well, said. very asian. don't lose face, give anything away that's not necessary. we're not animals, and this is all chess. think a couple moves ahead and you'll end out on top. usually.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
It took you nine minutes to give him ****. Nice to see that you've made progress as well.
It took you five. What's that say?
What's up grumpy?
( Last edited by Railroader; Jun 4, 2008 at 11:00 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Jun 4, 2008, 10:59 PM

By the way in regards to my pastorness... we recently plastered down town Winnipeg with posters that say God Loves Fags, and I got invited on CBC Radio
Maybe they'll put you on with that Westboro Church Westboro Baptist Church Home Page. They get a lot of media invites as well.

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2008, 01:04 AM

Woah!

Forum Links
Forum Rules