Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Menus won't always stay sticky

Menus won't always stay sticky
placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 04:38 PM

I'm running 10.2.6 on a relatively new 867 DP. It seems that after a while of use, the menus will only remain highlighted when I hold the mouse button down. It's like the old pre-OS 8 days. It seems like the problem has shown itself since the last .6 update, but may have happened a few times before that. To fix it, I log out and back in. It seems to happen after using Safari for a while. Is anyone else having this problem? It happens in the Finder and all other programs.

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 05:00 PM

I had that on my MDD 1.25 as well but now it has been gone for some weeks *knocks wood*. I was under the impression that 10.2.6 fixed it but since you're having it means i'm just lucky

Webscreamer
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 05:37 PM

Restart if you havn't for a while... or repair your permissions. This is always good stuff to do once in a while!
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
Restart if you havn't for a while... or repair your permissions. This is always good stuff to do once in a while!
Yeah, I restart about once a week. I'm sure there's a program on versiontracker.com to repair permissions. Any suggestions? I've never done that.

Drizzt
Mac Elite
May 19, 2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Karl Snyder:
Yeah, I restart about once a week. I'm sure there's a program on versiontracker.com to repair permissions. Any suggestions? I've never done that.
DiskUtility will do it for a good 'thanks'

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by Drizzt:
DiskUtility will do it for a good 'thanks'
Thanks.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2003, 11:07 PM

Meh, I'm having that sticky menu problem right now. I thought it was a problem with microsoft mouse drivers, or is it... what mouse are you using?

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 08:05 AM

I have had the menus not stick down either, but it doesn't happen with all apps, it would happen with a cocoa app, but then work fine with a carbon one. Logging out and back in would fix it for me.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 11:20 AM

I used to have this in 10.2.5. It seems really random, but a restart or logout fixes stuff normally. I use the logitech drivers. Maybe this is a mouse issue?

placebo1969  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by exa:
Meh, I'm having that sticky menu problem right now. I thought it was a problem with microsoft mouse drivers, or is it... what mouse are you using?
Hmm, I have the Microsoft mouse (optical). But I've had it since before that computer. I wonder if something broke after the last couple of updates? Has anyone used Aquisition when this happened? It seems like I'm using that and Safari when the problem happens. I repaired my privileges and haven't had a problem yet (1 day). Kind of getting annoying.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 05:12 PM

My boss's wife has this problem on her 17" iMac. It's totally stock - no new mice, no new drivers, zip.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

derekn
Senior User
May 20, 2003, 11:46 PM

I think this is something related to OS X itself and seems to happen to me when I put my dual 867 to sleep. Typically after waking it up, I'll log out and that will fix the problem. Sometimes though (since 10.2.5 I believe) even when I put it to sleep, the menus will stay sticky.

Doesn't matter what mouse I"ve used, either my current Logitech dual optical or Kensington. Same thing with the software too I believe, currently I'm using USB overdrive and used the Kensington software awhile back to see if that fixed it. No go.

So, quick fix should be just a logout each morning or so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules