Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Adobe Acrobat (and Flash)

Adobe Acrobat (and Flash)
rotuts
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 05:30 PM

Ive searched to see if there is a thread on this but did not come up with one

How does Adobes recent report of security issues with Acrobat (and flash) affect Mac users?

If it does whats to do about it?

appologies is this is covered elsewhere!
MacPro 2.66 dual 3GB RAM 1.5 TB HD's
24" + 21" Samsung flat panels
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Jun 9, 2010, 05:33 AM

It means "don't use Flash". If you don't want to uninstall it completely, you can block it. Click2Flash (Safari) or Flashblock (Firefox, use the built-in Add-on interface) are nice ways to do that (only click the Flash logo on sites you trust, and make sure disable invisible Flash views in the settings for Click2Flash). For PDFs, use Preview and not Adobe Reader, but you should do that anyway.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

voo
Forum Regular
Jun 9, 2010, 11:04 AM

I removed the file from all computers anyway just in case. Even though I'm using click2flash.

Adobe - Security Advisories: Security Advisory for Flash Player, Adobe Reader and Acrobat

Adobe Reader 9.x - Macintosh

1) Go to the Applications->Adobe Reader 9 folder.
2) Right Click on Adobe Reader
3) Select Show Package Contents
4) Go to the Contents->Frameworks folder
5) Delete or move the AuthPlayLib.bundle file

Acrobat Pro 9.x - Macintosh

1) Go to the Applications->Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro folder.
2) Right Click on Adobe Acrobat Pro
3) Select Show Package Contents
4) Go to the Contents->Frameworks folder
5) Delete or move the AuthPlayLib.bundle file
Adobe Reader and Acrobat - Windows
Deleting, renaming, or removing access to the authplay.dll file that ships with Adobe Reader 9.x and Acrobat 9.x mitigates the threat for those products, but users will experience a non-exploitable crash or error message when opening a PDF file that contains SWF content.

The authplay.dll that ships with Adobe Reader 9.x and Acrobat 9.x for Windows is typically located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\authplay.dll for Adobe Reader or C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 9.0\Acrobat\authplay.dll for Acrobat.

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 03:24 PM

many thanks for this info.

Im a little puzzled on click2flash for safari and where it is when safari opens

I upgraded to Safari 5 and installed click2flash 1.5.5

many thanks again!
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2010, 03:30 PM

click2flash shows up in Safari when you go to a page that has Flash content. It will say Click to Play or YouTube if you're on it, and you'll click the video to load it instead of it loading automatically as Flash content does normally.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Jun 9, 2010 at 03:43 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rotuts  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 03:48 PM

Kudos!

thanks very much!
Miglia mini HD (Great!)

P
Jun 10, 2010, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by voo View Post
I removed the file from all computers anyway just in case. Even though I'm using click2flash.

Adobe - Security Advisories: Security Advisory for Flash Player, Adobe Reader and Acrobat
That only fixes the problem in Adobe Reader/Acrobat. Flash is still vulnerable.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2010, 08:28 AM

Flash 10.1 is out. Fixes 32 security issues. Last version to support G3 Macs.

Adobe has released a new version of its Flash Player software, and with it has patched a number of security vulnerabilities, including a recent zero-day vulnerability that is being exploited in the wild. Altogether, 32 security issues are fixed, in addition the the software providing new features.

CPU usage loading the same website after updating to Flash 10.1 has skyrocketed, from 155% to 244%.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2010, 11:55 AM

^ The MacRumors post about it said that they removed the GPU acceleration that was in the beta. To which I add: “?!?”

P
Jun 11, 2010, 12:43 PM

GPU acceleration for certain GPUs (I think only GF 9400 and 320M) was added late in the beta. Likely they pushed it out now because of the big security issue, and GPU acceleration was deemed too unstable yet.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2010, 12:52 PM

There is a separate beta track of 10.1 with GPU acceleration. It's called Gala and is still in beta and available on Adobe Labs. They just released an update a week or two ago.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules