Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.5.1 is out

10.5.1 is out
Nexus5
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 02:36 PM

Check SU.
------------------------------------------------
What's included?

The following improvements for both PowerPC and Intel-based Macs are included in this update

AirPort
Allows password-protected accounts on AirPort Disks to show up on in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
Resolves an issue with saved passwords for wireless networks.

Back to My Mac
Improves the reliability of Back to My Mac-enabled Macs appearing in the Finder's Shared Sidebar.
Improves compatibility with D-Link NAT gateways.

Disk utilities
Restores the functionality of the progress bar during permission repairs in Disk Utility.
Addresses an issue that could produce an alert when creating disk images using Disk Utility or Terminal.
Improves disk partitioning when multiple RAID sets are created on the same disk.

iCal
iCal alarms are now more reliably delivered via email.
Resolves an issue when inviting attendees via a CalDAV account.

Mail
Improves stability when resizing columns in the message viewer or switching between Stationery templates in email messages.
Addresses an issue in which attachments enclosed inside an HTML link may not be clickable in email messages.
Fixes an issue with email accounts added using the "Simple Setup" feature in which messages cannot be sent due to an SMTP connection failure.
Improves Smart Mailboxes compatibility with .Mac Sync, and addresses an issue with To Do's disappearing when using Smart Mailboxes.
Resolves an issue with syncing Mail accounts with .Mac in which multiple On My Mac folders appear in the Mailbox pane.

Networking
Addresses an issue in which Microsoft Windows shared folders may be read-only when connected via SMB.

Printing
Resolves an issue in which user-selected values on Paper Feed PDE are reset to default while saving a custom preset.

Security, Firewall
Addresses a code signing issue; third-party applications can now run when included in the Application Firewall or when whitelisted in Parental Controls.
In Security preferences' Firewall tab, the "Block All" option is now called "Allow Only essential services"
Includes recent Apple security updates.

System and Finder
Addresses a potential data loss issue when moving files across partitions in the Finder.
Resolves an issue with login after turning off FileVault for a specific user account.
Improves compatibility with Adobe Flash-based uploaders used by .Mac Web Gallery and certain other websites and applications.
Resolves a potential text drawing issue with certain Adobe Flash-based websites and applications.

Time Machine
Addresses formatting issues with certain drives used with Time Machine (specifically, single-partition MBR drives greater than 512 GB in size as well as NTFS drives of any size and partition scheme).
Resolves an issue in which files restored in Time Machine may be restored to the backup hierarchy rather than the folders to which they belong.

-------------------------
nexus5.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 15, 2007, 02:57 PM

What about Mail alerts?

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 02:58 PM

Going to install it in the hopes that it'll let Stacks be disabled, but I'm not holding my breath.

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7 View Post
Going to install it in the hopes that it'll let Stacks be disabled, but I'm not holding my breath.
hah. Maybe it'll make stacks mandatory -- various stacks in your Dock after rebooting, and the system won't let you open them any other way!

mrmister
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 03:18 PM

On 10.5.1, no change in Stacks.

sixmemos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 03:22 PM

Nope, no change in Stacks functionality.

Installed without a hitch, although I was somewhat surprised to see the Setup Assistant again upon the required reboot.

I'll be curious to see if it resolves the only bug that I've encountered so far... the intermittent delayed shutdown (where you try to restart or shutdown, but are stuck looking at your desktop picture, with the semitranslucent spinning clock tickmarks). We'll see.

PaperNotes
Nov 15, 2007, 03:48 PM

Nervously installing now. Nervously because when the update was downloading the progress bar was stuck at 7.4MBs. I forced quit and restarted Software Update and it continued from 98% of something or other. ****ed up.

Why was my update listed as 38MB download?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 04:00 PM

Installed and restarted without any hassles.

I see that they haven't fixed the issue with Stacks and Dock Magnification.
Hopefully the Airport fixes they implemented will fix my Airport Disk issues I've been having. I'll report on those when I get home.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 04:19 PM

I haven't installed it yet, but I'm hoping that it fixes the iCal Dock icon bug--sometimes the date is right, sometimes it's a day behind, sometimes it jumps two days to catch up. In any case, it's always correct when I log out and back in.

PaperNotes
Nov 15, 2007, 04:38 PM

Correction. I can fix disk permissions but it won't show me progress until finished.
( Last edited by PaperNotes; Nov 15, 2007 at 04:46 PM. )

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 04:39 PM

Spaces is still twitchy as hell.

PaperNotes
Nov 15, 2007, 04:46 PM

Spaces has and still is well behaved with me. Smooth as butter.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 04:53 PM

...and I still can't print, or repair permissions.
-nate

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 05:23 PM

It seemed to download ok for me, and the install started ok, but the screen blanked and I got a popup that said something about clearing the boot cache (which promptly disappeared). Now I'm staring at a plain blue screen waiting for the computer to do something.

Hopefully it didn't bork the install.

DKeithA
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kadarin View Post
It seemed to download ok for me, and the install started ok, but the screen blanked and I got a popup that said something about clearing the boot cache (which promptly disappeared). Now I'm staring at a plain blue screen waiting for the computer to do something.

Hopefully it didn't bork the install.
You didn't. All that you describe is proper for this update.

Kadarin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by DKeithA View Post
You didn't. All that you describe is proper for this update.
It rebooted, and appears to be fine now.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 06:03 PM

I'm kind of disappointed that nobody bothered to make a high-res icon for disk images and all of Safari's documents. QuickLook still doesn't work with WebArchives even though WebKit can easily open them

Kenstee
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 06:24 PM

The key question........

It is "snappier?"

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 06:30 PM

Updating my MacBook. I hope it fixes the partition resizing bug.

edit: it didn't
Signature depreciated.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 06:36 PM

so far, all is good here (intel mac and G4 powerbook).
stacks still (kinda) sucks.
and i dream of a time machine with lots of options (including turning off the corny graphics).
but overall liking leopard...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2007, 06:36 PM

All working fine on my iBook.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

What bug is that?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO View Post

Please do tell..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

techtrucker
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 07:07 PM

I'll get flamed for this I'm sure...someone mentioned update installation after saying ok to restart. This was one of the things that drove me nuts about Windows XP updates. You'd download and (mistakenly) think they were installed, then when rebooting watch as everything gets installed. I preferred the old method, when it was time to restart you restarted!

On topic: 10.5.1 installed fine on my MacBook, so far all seems well.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Cold Warrior
Nov 15, 2007, 07:10 PM

it asks if you want to restart. If you say yes, it logs you out, does the installation, then restarts.

techtrucker
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 07:13 PM

I know, it's just new to 10.5, no previous version of OS X installed updates that way. Mildly curious as to why.
Lots of older Macs

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 07:16 PM

Probably things got messed up too often when people were using their system while it was being updated.

techtrucker
Senior User
Nov 15, 2007, 07:19 PM

Yeah, that's very possible, it could truly be a good thing. May be why XP had to do the same thing.
Lots of older Macs

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 07:45 PM

It will be super annoying if it wants to do that after installing something absolutely trivial that shouldn't require a system restart in the first place, like many OS X updates do. I guess I better get used to postponing all updates.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 07:46 PM

I find it funny when an update comes out and people report in here messages like "downloading now", or "I'll apply the update tonight".

dowNNshift
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 07:51 PM

I've been installing it this afternoon on several customer machines as well as my own without any problems. The OS doesn't feel any snappier, however many of the rough edges have been smoothed out.

I am impressed that Apple published this patch so quickly.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 15, 2007, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I find it funny when an update comes out and people report in here messages like "downloading now", or "I'll apply the update tonight".
Lets all take a moment of silence to laugh at these people. So we may feel better about ourselves.

JustinHorne
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2007, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It will be super annoying if it wants to do that after installing something absolutely trivial that shouldn't require a system restart in the first place, like many OS X updates do. I guess I better get used to postponing all updates.
A lot of people are commenting about this, I like it...
All it does is allow you to postpone installing/restarting until a more convenient time.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Probably things got messed up too often when people were using their system while it was being updated.
I think there was some kind of bug that was zeroing out random files on the disk in certain cases if people were using the computer while running Software Update. It had something to do with the prebinding stage that gets run after Software Update completes.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
Please do tell..
Wait, nm

Something must have been wrong with on of my drives causing that problem.
Signature depreciated.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 08:23 PM

Yahoo mail no longer works in Safari. It was working fine before the update.

Still works fine in Firefox.

EDIT:

Reboot fixed it.

My Eject button still doesn't work though. (Apple Pro Keyboard for Power mac)
( Last edited by Eug; Nov 15, 2007 at 08:45 PM. )

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 08:35 PM

Still working fine here (new layout).

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 08:47 PM

It still thinks my Boot Camp partition is a CD/DVD, and shows it on the desktop. I was hoping that would be fixed.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 09:01 PM

No FrontRow fixes?

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 09:07 PM

Yay. It remembers my 802.1X password. Minor victory.

Someone try this...Spotlight "network" and open the network preference pane. Does sysprefs open the network pane to the main screen with all your connections or does it open with the advanced options drop down with "WINS" selected?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 09:33 PM

So far I've noticed any difference, so that must a be good thing

I was going to put downloading now but was afraid I'd be flamed

My apps are working as they should so far so good (fingers crossed)

schuey100
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2007, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by AppleOptionFour View Post
Yay. It remembers my 802.1X password. Minor victory.

Someone try this...Spotlight "network" and open the network preference pane. Does sysprefs open the network pane to the main screen with all your connections or does it open with the advanced options drop down with "WINS" selected?
WINS dropdown!

zro
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
The only borked system update I had was back in the 10.1 days. I kept using the Finder after installing a system update and I believe it ended up rebooting to the ? Of Doom. Had to go back to the system disks that came with my machine and grab the combo update later on.

So after that I log all but one user out, quit all apps and don't do anything else during or after. Never a problem since.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 10:21 PM

Like all minor OS X updates this one only fixes a few bugs and adds better support for devices or services provided by Apple. These updates never add major features and only in rare cases add minor features, often only noticed if specifically searched for. Such as journaling and the eject graphic.

That being said, it is no small wonder that I find 10.5.1 to be exactly the same as 10.5.0 for me. I don't notice anything and probably won't from here on, since that simply means I never encountered any of the bugs that this upgrade fixed.

We will go through 10.5.11 and only see some bugfixes a la all the previous systems.

What we will not see ever in 10.5 is:

1. Any or significant change of Stacks
2. New progress bars/scroll bars
3. Finder improvements

What we will see in 10.5 is :

1. Support for a new Apple gadget
2. Some under-the-hood improvements
3. Lots of app bug-fixes

So I guess it is a good thing when one doesn't notice anything different when upgrading the OS, because then everything has gone according to plan.

For any significant update we'll have to wait until 10.6, whenever that will be.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Mac4Decade
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 15, 2007, 10:40 PM

Amen to your post! 10.5 is 10.5 is 10.5, ok everyone?

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
Like all minor OS X updates this one only fixes a few bugs and adds better support for devices or services provided by Apple. These updates never add major features and only in rare cases add minor features, often only noticed if specifically searched for. Such as journaling and the eject graphic.

That being said, it is no small wonder that I find 10.5.1 to be exactly the same as 10.5.0 for me. I don't notice anything and probably won't from here on, since that simply means I never encountered any of the bugs that this upgrade fixed.

We will go through 10.5.11 and only see some bugfixes a la all the previous systems.

1. Any or significant change of Stacks
3. Finder improvements

What we will see in 10.5 is :

1. Support for a new Apple gadget
2. Some under-the-hood improvements
3. Lots of app bug-fixes

So I guess it is a good thing when one doesn't notice anything different when upgrading the OS, because then everything has gone according to plan.

For any significant update we'll have to wait until 10.6, whenever that will be.

V

TiBook G4, MacBook Pro 1.83 Intel Core Duo

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2007, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by JustinHorne View Post
A lot of people are commenting about this, I like it...
All it does is allow you to postpone installing/restarting until a more convenient time.
My point is, being a Unix system, you shouldn't have to restart for such mundane things... This is especially bad for a server, I definitely hope Software Update is a bit less brain dead under Leopard Server now.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post

Perhaps not from Apple themselves. But if you do a little investigation on the internet, you'll discover just how easy it is to do yourself

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 12:00 AM

Haven't updated yet .... waiting to hear from all the early jumpers about what gets broken

EricTheRed
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2007, 12:58 AM

Disk utility still takes an age to spin up four internal HDDs and launch while fragging other system resources (like just moving the curser). And it still takes an age to verify permissions and verification results in all new errors messages.

Verify permissions for “Macintosh HD”
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/load_hdi" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DiskManagement.framework/Versions/A/Resources/DiskManagementTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Install.framework/Versions/A/Resources/runner" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/readconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Admin.framework/Versions/A/Resources/writeconfig" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "usr/libexec/authopen" has been modified and will not be repaired.
Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/OwnerGroupTool" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Permissions verification complete

Sweet.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 02:37 AM

10.5.1 = best scrollbars ever!

Forum Links
Forum Rules