Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > An Important Day in History

An Important Day in History
Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 01:24 PM

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 6, 2008, 03:42 PM

I've spent the day thinking of it. My father in law jumped with the 82nd into Normandy (he refused to ride in a glider, and he was apparently smart in his thinking; his assigned glider crashed). He talked about the run up, and the jump itself, but he never talked much about what he did on the ground. But in "The Longest Day", John Wayne played his colonel, LTC Vandervoort.

Some people watch "Saving Private Ryan" on June 6th, but I can't watch it again...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 04:25 PM

Saving Private Ryan was a powerful movie.
I think I'll watch it tonight actually, and I'll think of your father in law especially ghporter
we don't have time to stop for gas

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Some people watch "Saving Private Ryan" on June 6th,
I kick up Battlefield 1942. All kidding aside though, Saving Private Ryan was indeed a powerful movie. But as far as I know, I have no family ties to Normandy, so it didn't have as much of an impact. I still feel for all those who lost though, and its good to hear your father-in-law made the right choice when jumping. And that he made it back to tell you the stories he did. I sometimes wish I had some uncle or grandpa or someone who was in a war I could sit back and listen to, but no such luck.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2008, 04:52 PM

My wife's great uncle was also a paratrooper during Operation Overlord.
45/47

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 6, 2008, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
I sometimes wish I had some uncle or grandpa or someone who was in a war I could sit back and listen to, but no such luck.
It should tell you something that he never actually talked about what happened on the ground.

TheWOAT
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 6, 2008, 05:22 PM

My grandfather was on the other side of the world, and he only had two stories to tell... One was what he did after battles (gather bodies and ID them), and the other one was about landing on an island (name I dont remember)... his higher ups had soldiers(new arrivals) walk through an infermary littered with dead patients (injured US soldiers) and some nurses.. The enemy broke through and ran aruond the infermary bayonetting the sick and injured a couple days before. At the end of the "tour", was a sign that basically said something like "Kill them all" (well, it said something else, but thats the jist of if). Hard to imagine what those soldiers had to go through.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
It should tell you something that he never actually talked about what happened on the ground.
Which is why I said sometimes. I know there was bad. But there was good as well.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dale Sorel  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I really like that picture if Ike with the soldiers.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2008, 10:28 PM

My dad remembers seeing the liberating Allied tanks going through his small village some months after D-Day. This certainly was an act of unimaginable heroism. In fact it was for all involved in the liberation of Europe.

On a lighter note, my dad who was a kid at the time remembers the American soldiers giving away that amazing thing called gum (as in chewing gum). It was a novelty for them!

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2008, 12:04 AM

I thought this thread was about my birthday...

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
I thought this thread was about my birthday...
Happy Birthday, AKcrab.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2008, 03:12 AM

When in England at a fairly large conference, Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury if our plans for Iraq were just an example of empire building' by George Bush.

He answered by saying, 'Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those that did not come home.

You could have heard a pin drop.
You Could Have Heard a Pin Drop - snopes.com
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2008, 03:37 AM

I hope we aren't burying our war heroes wherever they happened to be when they died.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I hope we aren't burying our war heroes wherever they happened to be when they died.
Not anymore. Technology and airlift have changed that. But there are American graveyards all over Europe, a testament to how many of our own paid the ultimate price so that young people in France and Germany can sneer at us while drinking their lattes and chatting on their iPhones...

I was just looking at my father in law's shadow box. In the military we have a small tradition of displaying our decorations and such in shadow boxes. His has a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, four Purple Hearts. He once told of a situation where he charged a machine gun nest, alone, because his guys were pinned down. His commander, in presenting the Bronze Star to him, said it was not often that he got to simultaneously present a citation for gallantry and an ass chewing, but this was one of them. So yes, I'm sort of unimpressed with the way many Europeans have chosen to use the freedom their and our fathers and grandfathers paid so dearly for.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2008, 11:03 AM

Not anymore. Technology and airlift have changed that. But there are American graveyards all over Europe, a testament to how many of our own paid the ultimate price so that young people in France and Germany can sneer at us while drinking their lattes and chatting on their iPhones...

So yes, I'm sort of unimpressed with the way many Europeans have chosen to use the freedom their and our fathers and grandfathers paid so dearly for.
Let me be the first to call you on that.

Yeah, shame on all of us who criticize itchy trigger-fingers and slipshod foreign policy and complete ****wittage, pulling off a WAR in the interest of NO ONE but a bunch of old cronies in the industry.

Shame on us all for knowing five years ago that STARTING a war is never a solution, but only the beginning of a whole slew of problems, and SHAME on us all for saying so loudly and clearly four years ago, while we were sipping on our lattes, chatting on our Macintosh computers, watching your Fearsome Leader pull the wool over the eyes of his voters with the Patriot Act, and sending THOUSANDS of your comrades to their completely useless deaths.

Yes, we disapprove of how your president and his administration have SQUANDERED all that your forefathers have fought for, and that all the American, Canadian, British, and Commonwealth soldiers who died on D-Day and the following months gave us, and for which we will be forever indebted to them.

We're sort of unimpressed with how your government has been handling things.

Now excuse me, I have a latte to sip.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 11:14 AM

All I know of D-day was what I learned in the history books and movies. Up until fairly recently, when movies like "Saving Private Ryan" and more honest documentaries were made I had no idea of how hellish it was for the soldiers who were there and who generally fought in World War II--the end result being that I can live a relatively safe and free life. I'm a little angry that in school the basic impression was that soldiers got shot and died-- and it was sad but they were heroes. The full breadth of the experience was lost--like being tortured, starving, cruelly maimed, and burned.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2008, 11:30 AM

I was just looking at my father in law's shadow box. In the military we have a small tradition of displaying our decorations and such in shadow boxes. His has a Silver Star, two Bronze Stars, four Purple Hearts. He once told of a situation where he charged a machine gun nest, alone, because his guys were pinned down. His commander, in presenting the Bronze Star to him, said it was not often that he got to simultaneously present a citation for gallantry and an ass chewing, but this was one of them. So yes, I'm sort of unimpressed with the way many Europeans have chosen to use the freedom their and our fathers and grandfathers paid so dearly for.
I figured an admin would know better than coming up with this kind of tired rhethoric in the lounge. This thread had actually started very nicely...

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 11:40 AM

My comment was about how a lot of young Europeans forget that their way of life and economies were built on both the blood of Americans AND their own forefathers. I wasn't saying anything about current issues, and I didn't anticipate my words being taken that way. I did not want to make this political, just to observe that "kids don't appreciate how good they have it" anywhere, and especially in Europe where they could have had it much worse. Sorry for my words not making that clear.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2008, 12:05 PM

That applies to Americans as much as to Europeans.

In fact, I think quite a few Europeans actually appreciate MORE just how good they have it, because of the collective trauma that was the Third Reich and WWII, and the historical digestion of it, which is very much part of basic education and cultural background here.

Of course, those who are aware of that probably aren't the ones you mean "sneering at America" - although I admit that confuses me a bit, since I don't really know anybody who's "anti-American" (as opposed to "anti-Bush" or "anti-current government" or "anti-it's-our-turn-now-so-bend-over-and-take-it"*), which is why I could only take your comment the way I took it.

*) full credit to jcadam for that phrase - America's finest, a member of your armed forces, leading the world in the eternal fight for Freedomâ„¢ and Democracyâ„¢. Check it out.
( Last edited by analogika; Jun 7, 2008 at 12:13 PM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2008, 12:29 PM

That applies to Americans as much as to Europeans.

In fact, I think quite a few Europeans actually appreciate MORE just how good they have it, because of the collective trauma that was the Third Reich and WWII, and the historical digestion of it, which is very much part of basic education and cultural background here.
You're right that American kids don't appreciate what they have. I don't see them even appreciating that they get a free, public education (or the quality of it), let alone that our economic system is built to let people that work hard succeed, that they CAN protest if they want and if they work at it, actually make a difference. No, American kids take it all for granted.

I guess I was too specific about it; European kids are not any different from American kids in wanting everything their way. I should have been a lot less cynical and not targeted Europe. My appologies.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2008, 01:00 PM

I guess I was too specific about it; European kids are not any different from American kids in wanting everything their way. I should have been a lot less cynical and not targeted Europe. My appologies.
FWIW, your reaction is understandable considering you were looking through a dead soldier's memories...

Strong moment.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 7, 2008, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Saving Private Ryan was a powerful movie.
I think I'll watch it tonight actually, and I'll think of your father in law especially ghporter
I'm a Band of Brothers fan myself. Maybe I'll watch the D-Day episode today.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 07:02 PM

Band of Brothers is also awesome.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2008, 10:06 PM

45/47

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 06:53 PM

Yeah, shame on all of us who criticize itchy trigger-fingers and slipshod foreign policy and complete ****wittage, pulling off a WAR in the interest of NO ONE but a bunch of old cronies in the industry.

Shame on us all for knowing five years ago that STARTING a war is never a solution, but only the beginning of a whole slew of problems, and SHAME on us all for saying so loudly and clearly four years ago, while we were sipping on our lattes, chatting on our Macintosh computers, watching your Fearsome Leader pull the wool over the eyes of his voters with the Patriot Act, and sending THOUSANDS of your comrades to their completely useless deaths.

Yes, we disapprove of how your president and his administration have SQUANDERED all that your forefathers have fought for, and that all the American, Canadian, British, and Commonwealth soldiers who died on D-Day and the following months gave us, and for which we will be forever indebted to them.

Copenhagen Syndrome much?

Copenhagen syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2008, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
That has nothing to do with what analogika was talking about. Criticizing mistakes by the US is not remotely the same thing as defending bad practices by anybody else.
Chuck
___

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 9, 2008, 02:11 AM

Non-sequitur much?

Non sequitur - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moron.
(That's not an insult or "name-calling", but simple statement of fact. Go ahead, give me an infraction.)

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 9, 2008, 09:26 AM

Non-sequitur much?

Moron.
(That's not an insult or "name-calling", but simple statement of fact. Go ahead, give me an infraction.)
I won't give you an infraction for it, but I'll tell you that this is enough. I personally agree that abe was not on the same plane of existence when he replied to your post. A post that I agree with now, given a little bit of time to distance myself from a rather emotional point.

You're right that our current foreign policy is nowhere near intelligent. I think we should stick to the goal of getting things in Iraq settled before we leave because we got it all stirred up in the first place. But with just a little more information that we had five years ago, it's pretty clear that we goofed rather stunningly with this whole Iraq thing, even more so than we did in late 2001 and early 2002 when the president said "with us or against us." This means that there are more GI headstones in national cemeteries than there should be, and that a lot of young people's lives have been cut short needlessly.

But rather than focusing on that, let's look at the sacrifices the survivors have made in a slightly different light. Like Parade Magazine's cover story from June 8. Like most GIs, these wounded warriors see a distinct difference between the politics of the conflict and their commitment to their duty and their comrades.

And we should look at others, like PFC Ross McGinnis, who was recently awarded the Medal of Honor (posthumously) for protecting his buddies from a hand grenade. He wasn't acting on politics. He was acting on loyalty to the other guys in that Humvee, whose lives he saved by diving on the grenade. It's that kind of loyalty that drove our fathers and grandfathers to acts of bravery. I'm certainly not going to second guess them or their split-second decisions. I'm just going to say "thank you for your sacrifice."

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 01:40 AM

Non-sequitur much?

Moron.
Stick to music and electronics if that is what you are good at. And leave criticism of the USA to Americans at least until you get your own problems ironed out.

Foreigners should not be allowed to comment on American political issues during an election season.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:34 AM

But rather than focusing on that, let's look at the sacrifices the survivors have made in a slightly different light.
[...]
I'm certainly not going to second guess them or their split-second decisions. I'm just going to say "thank you for your sacrifice."
I mean no disrespect to the soldiers.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 10, 2008, 07:45 AM

I mean no disrespect to the soldiers.
I hadn't thought that you did.

And while abe may have a small point in saying "foreigners shouldn't comment on American politics," I think that should really mean "foreigners who don't have a clue shouldn't." Even if I disagree with your point of view, hearing it (and managing my own reactions to it) is good for a lot, starting out with "seeing things from a different perspective." We in the States tend to be pretty provincial about other people's opinions of our politics, while we also tend to be completely clueless about how clueless we are on others' politics. I try to stay out of that category myself, but I generally only manage to realize how clueless I am.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 10, 2008, 10:18 AM

Stick to music and electronics if that is what you are good at. And leave criticism of the USA to Americans at least until you get your own problems ironed out.

Foreigners should not be allowed to comment on American political issues during an election season.
Why do you hate their freedom?
Chuck
___

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 06:47 AM

That has nothing to do with what analogika was talking about. Criticizing mistakes by the US is not remotely the same thing as defending bad practices by anybody else.
Why do you hate their freedom?
May I suggest you take this to the PL?

And comments like analogika's belong there, too.

You've now got some authoritah. Put it to good use, why don't ya?

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 12, 2008, 08:14 AM

May I suggest you take this to the PL?

And comments like analogika's belong there, too.

You've now got some authoritah. Put it to good use, why don't ya?
We were discussing how Soldiers, including old ones, are treated, and how kids today don't appreciate the sacrifices of their elders. Those aren't political issues. YOUR statements are. They're also aimed at derailing this discussion, and we've had enough of that already. Consider this your warning; stick to the topic (as it has unfolded to include how the current generation appreciates the sacrifices of their forefathers 60+ years ago), or don't participate.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 03:42 PM

We were discussing how Soldiers, including old ones, are treated, and how kids today don't appreciate the sacrifices of their elders. Those aren't political issues. YOUR statements are. They're also aimed at derailing this discussion, and we've had enough of that already. Consider this your warning; stick to the topic (as it has unfolded to include how the current generation appreciates the sacrifices of their forefathers 60+ years ago), or don't participate.
Would I be violating any rules by pointing out the political nature of the above smear of the USA & current administration & policy to save the damn free world, hmmm?

Do I have to point out the dual standard exercised when dealing with foreign agents?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2008, 04:10 PM

Will you please shut up while adults are trying to hold conversation?

Glenn and I clarified the tone and misunderstanding above.

If you want to continue trampling through the sandbox and flinging **** at targets that have long since moved on, please stick to the ****ing Political Lounge, where I can't see it.

Oh, and did you seriously just pull the "foreign agents" card again? You. Utter. LUNATIC.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 04:38 PM

Along with Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, might I also suggest Ken Burns' amazing documentary The War. It shows footage and photos never before seen. I was totally transfixed by this documentary when it aired on PBS.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 07:05 PM

Will you please shut up while adults are trying to hold conversation?

Glenn and I clarified the tone and misunderstanding above.

If you want to continue trampling through the sandbox and flinging **** at targets that have long since moved on, please stick to the ****ing Political Lounge, where I can't see it.

Oh, and did you seriously just pull the "foreign agents" card again? You. Utter. LUNATIC.
Effeteness is not your most winning trait.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 07:26 PM

This is why I love the internet.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2008, 08:17 PM

I read this somewhere and I think it is appropriate in this regard.

We don't need certain Europeans throwing their opinions at us as if they decide our conduct. We don't need certain Europeans snubbing their noses at us for something their governments are a part of behind closed doors. Are there any polls you've seen lately that ask us how we feel about Europeans, or European governments, or Europen policies? Why then are Europeans so interested in dictating what we do all the time and instructing us as if they are our self-appointed voices of conscience?
Especially during election season.

paul w
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2008, 08:40 PM

Thank goodness we have you Abe to protect us from them pesky Europeans and their opinions.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2008, 09:00 PM

A european opinion killed my father and raped my mother.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Would that make you a foreign lesion?

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
Thank goodness we have you Abe to protect us from them pesky Europeans and their opinions.
I know. Otherwise, despite our having demonstrated a winning idea of how to deal with threats to global freedom 60 years ago, some Americans would blithely revert to adopting impotent European attitudes. And if all Americans did so where would there be another America to rescue them?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
And probably elected your president, too!

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 03:28 AM

And probably elected your president, too!
Gee, now that you mention it "European opinions" are probably responsible for the conservative backlash in Germany, France and Italy.

Please, let's have more of it.

Lattes for everyone!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2008, 04:32 AM

You obviously haven't seen Sarkozy's latest approval ratings.

And at some point you're going to have to learn to deal with the fact that OTHERS live in free countries too. Free speech sucks unless it's your own, I guess.

Now, can you PLEASE shut the **** up and leave this thread as the commemoration of D-Day?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Jun 13, 2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by paul w View Post
He was too slow - I'm here already.

abe
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 04:58 AM

You obviously haven't seen Sarkozy's latest approval ratings.

And at some point you're going to have to learn to deal with the fact that OTHERS live in free countries too. Free speech sucks unless it's your own, I guess.

Now, can you PLEASE shut the **** up and leave this thread as the commemoration of D-Day?
Sure. And I hope that should you ever again be tempted to sully a commemorative thread such as this you will first remember the example of ghporter:

I'm certainly not going to second guess them or their split-second decisions. I'm just going to say "thank you for your sacrifice."

Forum Links
Forum Rules