Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > An Eye For An Eye?

An Eye For An Eye? (Page 4)
Persephone
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
If you say X is true, you must provide evidence that X is true, and NOT just say "go find it yourself." Nope. That doesn't work. I'm NOT about to go and find evidence for YOUR argument.
That's the point though. It's not just MY argument.

Now, if you want to go ahead and claim that the standard view on this subject is WRONG, or if you think I'm wrong on the "standard" stance on what I have claimed (standard=scientifically accepted theory (in general)), then you are more than welcome to present what you claim to be a more comprehensive and plausible theory BACKED UP BY EVIDENCE.

I PERSONALLY, don't have to prove anything to you, unless I was claiming something completely NOVEL.

I have not said "Y is true." You have said "X is true" and I have said "X is false." You have not provided any evidence for X and until you do X will remain in my eyes false.
No, once and for a final time,ACCORDING TO THE EVIDENCE FOUND BY HISTORIANS, ARCHAEOLOGISTS AND OTHERS CONCERNED WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER WHO USE THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, "X" IS THE MOST PROBABLE AND MOST LIKELY SCENARIO.

If you want to say "X" is false, please provide evidence to the contrary. If you are claiming I'm wrong about what I said in the last paragraph, and indeed the official stance is a different one, I'd be very interested to know what you base your assessment on.

That's all. Is that so hard to understand?

Sorry about the new handle, but the mods seem to be ban happy again.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2005, 03:17 AM

besson3c, I often disagree with what you have to say in the PL, but I must admit this was pretty funny. Thanks for adding some levity to this thread!

I'm pretty bad about keeping track of who is who, but if you say nutty religious Republican stuff, I suppose I've often disagreed with you too

Levity is my speciality! So is being right all the time and kick ass all over the place, but we can save that for another thread....

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 03:23 AM

You misunderstand...

Originally Posted by Persephone
No, once and for a final time,ACCORDING TO THE EVIDENCE FOUND BY HISTORIANS, ARCHAEOLOGISTS AND OTHERS CONCERNED WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER WHO USE THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, "X" IS THE MOST PROBABLE AND MOST LIKELY SCENARIO.
When I say "X," what the historians and arghaeologists etc is NOT what I refer to. It is the statement above that I refer to.

Your statement "X" is that historians and archeaologists hold this believe, and it is due to suchansuch evidence. If you were a good debater, you would provide evidence for X.

You really can't just say "Oh its the norm, its whats' generally accepted, believe me." I haven't heard it as the norm. So its your job to prove me that it's the norm!! Get it?

Frankly, I DONT CARE how old the OT is!! Really, it could be 5000 like you say, sure, fine, whatever. Doesn't affect my faith in the Bible or in my Savior. So, you see, the issue here really has nothing at all to do with being fundamentalist or any such nonsense. It has to do with you saying something and demanding that we all accept it as fact w/o any kind of proof. That, and the way you've handled this discussion.

Is this really so hard?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Persephone
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 03:29 AM

You really can't just say "Oh its the norm, its whats' generally accepted, believe me." I haven't heard it as the norm.
Exactly, that's my point. What have you heard as "the norm"? And where do you get the information from?

loki74
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by Persephone
Exactly, that's my point. What have you heard as "the norm"? And where do you get the information from?
Have I heard anything conclusive? Nope.
But it seems you have? If you want to convince me, you've gotta show me. 'Cause like I said, it really isn't important enough for me to seek out on my own time.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Persephone
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 03:42 AM

But it seems you have?
Why do you say this, when in the last 4 posts I claimed otherwise?

Again:

ACCORDING TO THE EVIDENCE FOUND BY HISTORIANS, ARCHAEOLOGISTS AND OTHERS CONCERNED WITH THE SUBJECT MATTER WHO USE THE SCIENTIFIC METHOD, "X" IS THE MOST PROBABLE AND MOST LIKELY SCENARIO.
'Cause like I said, it really isn't important enough for me to seek out on my own time.
Oh, it's not? It sure seems important enough to you to flame me over several posts here.

But hey, don't take my word for it.

Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
So you're saying the Bible (and God) is wrong?
I mean.. Where did that come from?!

Hmm, something like 67 % of the world's population would very strongly agree, that yes, the variants of the Christian Bible are wrong, considering that Christianity comprises roughly 33 % of the worlds religions. The rest of the world either doesn't believe in religion at all, or hold their own very strong believes on the subject. I guess the other 67 % are wrong :/

In any case, the bible was written in a very different age and era, where such ideas may have made some sense, but are no longer applicable (if someone with more history could elaborate). The eye for an eye thing was really meant to limit the who process of escalating retribution (I pee on your house, so you respond by burning my house down). I like to think that society has evolved at least somewhat over the last 2000 years. The Bible should be read in context, and not literally.

(I'm guilty of not reading the whole thread btw, sorry)

edit:
wow.. I didn't realize this was 4 pages, I feel like an idiot
( Last edited by 11011001; Nov 17, 2005 at 05:11 AM. )

Persephone
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by 11011001
I like to think that society has evolved at least somewhat over the last 2000 years. The Bible should be read in context, and not literally.
Absolutely right.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 17, 2005, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cody Dawg
So you're saying the Bible (and God) is wrong?
Yes.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

johnnyJihad
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 07:04 PM

zimphucker, I see you love philosophy... why not take a course at Uni and leave us alone...

nobody can stand you anymore in here. get the **** out.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyJihad
zimphucker, I see you love philosophy... why not take a course at Uni and leave us alone...

nobody can stand you anymore in here. get the **** out.
Speak for yourself Ambush. Many people in here would be upset if I left.

Like it or not.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by 11011001
The Bible should be read in context
I read it in context. Our "context" is just different.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 08:11 PM

The bible should be read with a wholesome bowl of cereal, preferably Cocoa Puffs.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 17, 2005, 08:12 PM

I like Boo Berry. And Corn Pops.

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2005, 08:25 PM

Ha, Corn Pops. Used to be Sugar Pops until THE MAN pulled the wool over our eyes. Come the revolution, there ain't gonna be no more euphimistic cereal names. Viva la revolucciones de cerealamos!

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Nov 17, 2005, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by BlueSky
Ha, Corn Pops. Used to be Sugar Pops until THE MAN pulled the wool over our eyes. Come the revolution, there ain't gonna be no more euphimistic cereal names. Viva la revolucciones de cerealamos!
Introducing: Cancer Pops!

Cancer Pops are tops!

Forum Links
Forum Rules