Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What are some good computer speakers?

What are some good computer speakers?
Peter753
Forum Regular
Oct 31, 2001, 08:13 PM

can anyone recoment some good computer speakers? Hopefully at a reasonable price

fobside
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 08:22 PM

i believe this belongs here.

Cipher13
Oct 31, 2001, 08:43 PM

www.bostonacoustics.com

I have the BA635's and they rock.

Patrick
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2001, 08:43 PM

Fobside, you're acting like a moderator� let one of them move it.

Anyway, I have a pair of Labtec speakers hooked up to my iMac. Got 'em for $15 at Fry's, but that was a few months ago. They're the type of speakers that have holes in the middle for the bass. They do better for the mid-range frequencies than most other computer speakers I've heard. Only the volume is adjustible, so you can't change treble or bass settings.

With a subwoofer, these would be excellent for listening to music on (they're almost good enough without one). But if that's your goal, just hook the computer up to your stereo. I used to do that, but then I couldn't listen to the radio and the computer at the same time.

EDIT: no h in Labtec

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: Patrick ]

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 31, 2001, 08:46 PM

I will gladly stake my life on my creative sound works digital 3 pice system, they will shake you room there are only 79 dollars and have a digital SPDIF input for srytal clear sound. When I play Quake III and fire the rocket launcher I am moved across the room from the subwoofer. If you can go to one of their stores and hear it for your self and you wil be amazed. When I get my G5 I will get the true 5.1 dolby digital sourond sound and it will be my home thearter system when I go to collage. trust me they rock. you won't be disapointed or I will pay for them.
web page

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: G4ME ]

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 31, 2001, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
<STRONG> When I get my G5 I will get the true 5.1 dolby digital sourond sound and it will be my home thearter system when I go to collage</STRONG>
sourond.... thearter.... COLLAGE... lol

heh.. sorry... had to point that out

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: IceEnclosure ]
ice

maxintosh
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 12:20 AM

Altec Lansing ATP-3 (three-peice) or ATP-5 (five-peice).

Really cool looking. REALLY POWERFUL subwoofer (!!!) Nice sounding midranges and dual tweeters.

$70 for the ATP-3s. One of my favorite purchases ever. Phenomenal sound for the price, nice volume/treble/bass control on right speaker.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Nov 1, 2001, 12:29 AM

Monsoon im-700's i have those and the flat pannel speakers are very good!!! the sub is powerful. but then again i am baised, i have never really heard many others.

RWoelk
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 04:15 PM

Any of the Monsoon line rocks!

You won't be sorry...

Nick
Nov 1, 2001, 11:02 PM

Originally posted by RWoelk:
<STRONG>Any of the Monsoon line rocks!

You won't be sorry...</STRONG>
aye

funkboy
Professional Poster
Nov 1, 2001, 11:30 PM

I have Benwin flat panel speakers. I like the sound - at least a huge improvement over my previous, mono beige G3 speaker!

They were $15 at Outpost.com - got it when free shipping was on, too, so I just bought it right there
I guess I was one of the people who forced outpost to get rid of that great feature...

People I know either don't care too much about sound or are complete audiophiles, tho, so I just have the toughest time deciding... I lean more heavily to the who cares side... not sure about the Monsoon's, never heard about them...

Demonhood
Administrator
Nov 2, 2001, 12:10 AM

i also got the benwin speakers from outpost for $15. they lacked the depth i was looking for tho (so i mounted them in my bathroom ).

i'm fond of yamaha speakers. you get a spiffy square sub with em too.

anyhow, off to periphs...

Forum Links
Forum Rules