Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The next HUGE thing from Apple Inc

The next HUGE thing from Apple Inc
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 05:44 PM

What will come first?

Bonafide mini-iOS watch
i7 MBA with Touch
Touch less iPad
OSXI Nyancat with with common source code between desktops and iDevices or at least compatibility.
AppleTV with video hub and Facetime

I wanted to make this a poll, that is why you may not see these options until now.
( Last edited by The Godfather; Nov 15, 2011 at 05:52 PM. )

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 05:46 PM

The egg.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 06:15 PM

Apple branded HDTV running iOS, 802.11n, DLNA support, App store access, and iPod Touch style remote. It'll be amazing, wonderful, stupendous...

... however, it'll only have HDMI ports and it won't be HDCP compliant, so you can't connect a "legal" Blu-ray player.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

design219
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 07:27 PM

This is kind of tough, because the big things from Apple are things we don't know we need yet.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 08:24 PM

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2011, 08:29 PM

You mean besides Siri? Real voice controls for the computer is the next consumer electronics interface revolution. There area allot of ways to leverage that, home automation, roaming profiles based on voice match. No need for UI controls just 100% content on screen, no arm fatigue like a vertical touch screen. Zero learning curve. When they publish api's to integrate your service with Siri, "Siri get me Oprahs' book of the month."

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 09:15 PM

Voice control is a non-starter IMO, because it makes computing as annoying as talking on a cell phone (to anyone nearby). Yecch.

I have a few ideas for what I hope the next big thing is, and if it's anything short of this I will be severely disappoint

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2011, 09:57 PM

There is a 15" MacBook Air coming soon, and Apple is gonna assault the airwaves with commercials. It will sell like crazy, while the other PC makers are still trying to get their "ultrabooks" into the market.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 10:26 PM

I hope Apple gives us some new label colors for the Finder, cause I'm getting really tired of the existing set.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 15, 2011, 10:43 PM

MacBook Duo. iPad that docks and becomes an OS X desktop.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 16, 2011, 02:54 AM

The latter would require total iOS and OS integration, or not?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 03:48 AM

I would like it if Apple somehow setup wifi towers all over the world so that phone calls would be free, and everyone would have wifi wherever they went, including during plane rides.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton View Post
Voice control is a non-starter IMO, because it makes computing as annoying as talking on a cell phone (to anyone nearby). Yecch.

I have a few ideas for what I hope the next big thing is, and if it's anything short of this I will be severely disappoint
Carrie Fisher?

Well, I guess it's a follow-up to Jeff Goldblum...

Sealobo
Nov 16, 2011, 05:51 AM

"Apple is a mobile company."

an Apple TV set is not mobile.

i don't know.

Apple should make electric cars.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2011, 06:26 AM

An Apple car stereo would be awesome.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

OreoCookie
Nov 16, 2011, 07:55 AM

The next big product will be called iResurrect Steve Jobs. All they have to do is tune the reality distortion field strengths just right … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 08:29 AM

Television.

1. A recent study found that for the first time, most of the video consumed was delivered online.
2. iTunes movie/TV shows + iCloud
3. iOS

I'm almost certain this will be the next big thing, the next category that gets redefined, Guy Kawasaki(among others) have also hinted it.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
I would like it if Apple somehow setup wifi towers all over the world so that phone calls would be free
Free? Apple?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
The latter would require total iOS and OS integration, or not?
Possibly. Sure would be neat, in my opinion. You essentially detach the display from your MacBook Pro and it becomes an iPad. Connect it to the base and it's a full laptop.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 04:11 PM

Kind of the Motorola Atrix 4G ? It is now being sold at the bargain price of one penny on Amazon.com

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2011, 06:06 PM

I was thinking more like the Transformer, but implemented correctly. My friend just about broke his because he keeps forgetting it's doesn't actually fold close, you have to take it out then snap it in. Nice idea, but poorly executed. Apple can do it better.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
What will come first?

Bonafide mini-iOS watch
i7 MBA with Touch
Touch less iPad
OSXI Nyancat with with common source code between desktops and iDevices or at least compatibility.
AppleTV with video hub and Facetime

I wanted to make this a poll, that is why you may not see these options until now.
Bonafide mini-iOS watch (Doubt it but not something I would rule out)

i7 MBA with Touch (Never)

Touch less iPad (Doubt it, but Siri could make any iPad into something you mostly interact with via voice.)

OSXI Nyancat with with common source code between desktops and iDevices or at least compatibility. (Possible)

AppleTV with video hub and Facetime (Good chance on the Facetime, though I suspect it would be AppleTV integrated into a TV itself with a camera)
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Salty
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2011, 01:50 AM

Apple's really a digital lifestyle company. The Mac is no longer the centre of the digital hub, it's now iCloud. The fact is that Apple's new product matrix is no longer consumer/pro/desktop/laptop now it's portable, hand held, and ultra portable.(MacBook, iPad and iPhone respectively the iPod touch being the budget iPhone)

Now it's less about what types of customers, but with those same consumers where they interaction with technology and where it could help them. At this point with the iPad Apple is now more than ever in the kitchen, the bathroom, the living room, etc.

With that said, I think one of the last major product categories we'll see is the TV by Apple which hopefully won't be called Apple TV. The question is what level of hardware can Apple build into a display that won't feel dated in a few years? This product is going to need to have the longevity of something like a console or more.

I could see Apple getting into the car deck market but I think that's a saturated market where they're going to want to compete because changing anything with a car is too big of a pain.

I also think you're going to see some sort of way to bring Siri up in either X.7.5 or X.8. I think Siri is going to be almost as revolutionary as iOS in general. I think Apple's going to find a lot of uses for it. Especially when they figure out ways to make it do even more. Imagine asking Siri when the bus is coming and having it use the geolocation to figure out what city you're in and figure out when the next bus is coming so you don't have to use a site to figure it out? Siri works well because a lot of the things you can ask it to do are the sort of things that actually do take work to figure out.

freudling
Banned
Nov 17, 2011, 02:34 AM

Apple TV. It'll be the centre of home. Siri, iCloud, App Store, Apple TV with movie, music, and TV streams. AIrplay...

hayesk
Nov 17, 2011, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Never going to happen. AppKit is for keyboard/mouse driven interfaces. UIKit is for touch-based interfaces.

However, Foundation is already common between iOS and MacOS. So there you go.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2011, 01:29 PM

The next HUGE thing from Apple Inc
Probably the corporate headquarters.

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2011, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
Never going to happen. AppKit is for keyboard/mouse driven interfaces. UIKit is for touch-based interfaces.

However, Foundation is already common between iOS and MacOS. So there you go.
Yeah but you could leverage Fast User Switching or Spaces to switch between AppKit and UIKit and if the apps were persisting state they could even synchronize. Example all your open safari tabs would transfer as you docked / undocked. I just don't think mobile devices have the performance to run the desktop UI when they do this could work out well.

hayesk
Nov 17, 2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV View Post
Yeah but you could leverage Fast User Switching or Spaces to switch between AppKit and UIKit and if the apps were persisting state they could even synchronize. Example all your open safari tabs would transfer as you docked / undocked. I just don't think mobile devices have the performance to run the desktop UI when they do this could work out well.
There's nothing stopping developers from transferring state such as open tabs, etc. between the desktop and mobile device today. You don't need a common interface framework for that. But yeah, Apple could build some of that in I suppose - but it doesn't require a common framework to do so.

Forum Links
Forum Rules