Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5 aluminum cased cubes!

G5 aluminum cased cubes!
Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2003, 04:59 AM

...in your dreams but

When is the next anniversary for Apple? Would be sweet if they did re-release of the cube in an alum casing. Would need a bottom and top stealth fans to assist in the convection effect but I think they could squeeze all the new goodies in and get a little extra space with the thinner aluminum shell.

How much would you pay?
2K here.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Cipher13
Jul 8, 2003, 05:03 AM

Did you miss the post two down from yours labelled "2004 - 20 years of Macs" or something?

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 05:25 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
...in your dreams but

When is the next anniversary for Apple? Would be sweet if they did re-release of the cube in an alum casing. Would need a bottom and top stealth fans to assist in the convection effect but I think they could squeeze all the new goodies in and get a little extra space with the thinner aluminum shell.

How much would you pay?
2K here.
Never, ever going to happen.

Apple lost a stack of money on the cubes, if they have any sense, they will never go back there...

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2003, 09:05 AM

no way in bloody hell

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2003, 09:44 AM

I'd have to agree. They cannot afford to spread the lineup so wide and maintain economies of scale necessary to keep margins where they need to be. Now if they could sell the Cube at a premium as they had hoped the first time around, then sure no problem. However, they already proved once that people adore Cubes, but not enough people are willing to pay the premium for the honor of owning one.

I think they should make PowerBooks without the displays and keyboards. Just make this thin and small as possible thing with ports on it. I wonder how much that would shave on the cost? LCD's tend to be expensive on laptops, I'm thinking you could take at least $600 off????

Hmm, maybe not.

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

Apple lost a stack of money on the cubes, if they have any sense, they will never go back there...
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 11:39 AM

Na, clear plastics looked cooler as it seemed like the cube was floating.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

ourisman
Jul 8, 2003, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE]When is the next anniversary for Apple?[QUOTE]

January 24, 2004 will be the 20th anniversary of the first Mac.

16 mHz 68000 CPU
128K RAM
400K floppy drive

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2003, 03:42 PM

The Cube is a very elegant design (I have one) but when it came out I said that they should have made it more rugged and functional, and less delicate. I think they could have done so and had just as interesting a design and more sales. Too many people simply couldn't relate to it as a machine. It's like a Mies house - pure and lovely to look at but somewhat difficult for the average person to use and adapt. But Steve got to make his ultimate design statement so that's OK. And it certainly looks nice on my desk even though it doesn't serve as my main machine.

When I first saw the new G5, I thought "That's more like it. The Cube should've been a miniature version of that - a mini-desktop, but more machine-like, with the ports and such used as design elements rather than hidden away and inaccessible."

It's sorta moot now - even if the Cube had been more successful, the FP iMac would have pretty much rendered it obsolete. It'll be interesting to see what comes next for the consumer line.

dav
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 04:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ourisman:
[QUOTE]When is the next anniversary for Apple?

isn't 2004 also the 10th anniversary of the powermac?

graphics84
Senior User
Jul 8, 2003, 05:49 PM

Originally posted by The Placid Casual:

they lost money in the since of sales (not much)... but what did they gain in publicity and product placement...

I still see cubes on Movies and TV shows with a lot of apples showing...

it may not have cancelled the lost but it may be close...

I don't know but I thought it was a good rebuttal on all those cube haters

(wish I had one)

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2003, 07:19 PM

I wish I had a cube. The reason they didn't do well was because they were too expensive for not being expandible. I really like them, and wanted one soooo badly when they came out.

Crusoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 9, 2003, 03:18 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
Did you miss the post two down from yours labelled "2004 - 20 years of Macs" or something?
Yeah I missed it.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

eddiecatflap
Baninated
Jul 9, 2003, 07:15 AM

..i reckon x-station will be like a giant silver cube w/ 4-16 cpus..

Ramey Skies
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 12:33 AM

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2003, 02:05 AM

A testament to their greatness is easy to find on eBay. Just look up the Apple Cube and you'll see that people are still fetching 60-80% of what they payed for them new. That's pretty impressive.

I think there'd be a market now for a new cube system. Maybe they were ahead of their time by five years.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 31, 2003, 02:27 AM

Cheap high power G3 cube!

haha although it would be funny to see em bring in a special cube at a slightly lower price than the G5. the first mac was a 16Mhz processor, well we'll give you a 1.6Ghz processor ect.

But make them in very low quantities.

k_munic
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2003, 03:06 AM

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 04:02 AM

hmm, that is actually nice. I like the screen too. Of course I don't know how they would make it that small considering the current G5.

Ramey Skies
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 02:40 PM

Could a G5 cube be fan-less ?

I could imagine a G5 with a huge "flower-petal"-like heat disperser sitting on top of a small motherboard.

The case would be designed to facilitate convection.

The memory and peripheral cards would plug into the bottom side of the board.

Or would something like this be too expensive?

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2003, 03:25 PM

Thing is that apple KNOWS this time would be different.

The reaction has been incredible and cubes are becoming harder to get.. bringing out a G5 one made of metal would eliminate one of it's biggest problems: the cracks in the case..

Not to mention if it ran quietly it would roxor. :shrug: I still think it's very possible and if they got it to $1299 or so it'd sell much better. Fit a price point the g5 DOES NOT right now.
Aloha

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2003, 03:45 PM

What about an iMac (fp) with a VGA/ADC port instead of a monitor? It would be cheap and small.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

serranot
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2003, 10:06 PM

The nice thing about an aluminum cube is that the whole case could act as a heat sink. Put some fins on that sucker and you wouldn't need fans.

Come to think of it, I could make a dual G4 out of a Harley v-twin engine case. Brilliant! Probably put out more power than the Harley engine ever had.

T-bob

Paco500
Professional Poster
Aug 3, 2003, 04:57 PM

Someday I will own a cube. I've got a bit of money put away for one of the hopped up models- CPU upgraded, Superdrive, etc. If it wasn't for the damn wife and kids...

slider
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 04:51 AM

I think, as last time, it would be really cool. But the problem, also as last time, where do you fit it in the line up. When I was dreaming about getting my PowerMac, back in the day of the Cube, I was torn, but finally decided that with the money I was spending, I wanted the expandability of PCI. I have only ended up using one PCI slot for a usb card. If they could just stick in one slot I think that would be helpful. The would also have to keep the iMac at a G4, I think, to generate interest. That would truely be something in between the iMac and PowerMac. The pricing would also need to be in the range of the iMac, where to total cost of the Cube Al would be just more expensive with the addition of a monitor. Something in the range of $1800 and with the same gpu as the low end PowerMac (which of course would be a dual), and a single processor, with plenty of room for ram. Offer a combo drive as the base and a super drive as a build to order. So I am saying offer only one model, with a bto optical drive. It would be the perfect inbetween step.

Damn that was fun. Never gonna happen, but I'd buy it. You know the other thing is, a lot of people don't want to have to buy a new machine every one or two years, so they go out and buy a machine that is over the top, this would fit that bill nicely too.

You know, I almost can't stop.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 02:23 PM

Part of the after life sucess of the cube is that it has to be tressured because you can't get it any more. So the idea of releasing a new one that would be aimed at wide acceptance would ruin the whole cubeness of the cube.

I still think if Apple makes another cube it'd be a G3 ultra low end.

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 10:57 PM

I love cubes. I can take one apart and reassemble it in 10-15 minutes.

It's really a shame I had such trouble with the 1.2ghz upgrade. I would have kept it.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 5, 2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by ourisman:

16 mHz 68000 CPU
128K RAM
400K floppy drive
I can't believe anybody hasn't corrected this mistake yet. On every other occasion people around this board boast what Mac experts they are... At least they must be extremely young experts if they have no idea about the first Macs.

Well, whatever.

The very first Mac had an 8MHz MC68000. It wasn't until the Macintosh II that we got 16MHz on a Mac, but then again the Macintosh II also had a MC68020 CPU.

The first (and only) Mac to use a 16MHz MC68000 was the Macintosh Portable introduced in September 1989.

In October 1991 the PowerBook 100 was introduced which also had a 16MHz 68000, but this time it was a refined MC68HC000.

Feel free to check http://www.apple-history.com for more details.

Forum Links
Forum Rules