Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > ICQ and AIM!

ICQ and AIM!
olnorth
Mar 13, 2000, 06:07 PM

As both ICQ and AIM are owned by AOL, are there plans to make a single messaging application? I run both at the same time and they take up a lot of space - especially AIM. I wonder if anyone knows of a program that combines both. Also, anyone know if these programs will be made OS X native?

------------------

---
Ol.

Lint
Mar 13, 2000, 06:54 PM

I have asked myself the same question for a long time, since it seems like it has been ages since AOL bought ICQ (and Mirabilis?) However you have to keep in mind that ICQ works via ID numbers and many instances of the same name are linked to those numbers. AIM on the other hand haas one user per name and possibly reserve names for AOL users. This makes merging the 2 database quite hairy, (unless they move to the ICQ model). Of course this may all be moot depending on if that 'standard' for internet messaging ever goes thru.

olnorth
Mar 13, 2000, 07:00 PM

What about a single program that supports the 2 protocols? Or an AIM clone that is smaller in terms of screen size than the current one...

------------------
Ol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules