Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Advice needed on new CD writer

Advice needed on new CD writer
Matthew Attoe
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2001, 04:04 PM

Hi guys,

I need a little advice on a CD writer that I have just bought.

The drive is a Formac Designer 8x8x32 and is hooked up by firewire to a G4350 AGP.

The drive came with a cut down version of Toast 4.12, but I also have Toast 5.01 Titanium.

The problem is that the drive seems to work/not work/work/not work etc. When I try to burn a CD, the drive will try to start up to burn the disc, spins down, spins up, spins down but then nothing happens.

On the few occassions that it has written a disc the software hangs while 'finishing session'.

I have managed to write a few CD's completely successfully in both the 4.12 and 5.01 Toasts. About 90% of the problems happen with Toast 5.

Another thing that I have noticed is that if I switch the drive off and back on again, neither version of toast will see the writer again, even if I keep 'rescanning' for it.

When the writer arrived the main outer box had really been knocked around. it was a really big strong box, but all of one side had been smashed in. The actual writer packaging inside had been flying around in the bigger outer box, but had even taken damage itself.

Is the drive damaged? Is the software at fault? My guess is that the drive is shot what with the software not always seeing it and the drive only working sometimes.

Toast reports the drive as a Ricoh CD-R/RW MP7083A with a 2mb cache and Firmware version1.10.

Hope someone can offer some advice. If I can think of anymore information I will post it up.

Thanks,

Matthew
Early 2008 Mac Pro (8 x 2.8), original Core Duo 2.0GHz MacBook Pro

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 18, 2001, 04:28 PM

I have just noticed that Toast does see the drive now if I switch it off and on again.

I also looked on Roxio's website to see if my drive was supported. I can't see it listed. Perhaps this is because it is a new model. The drive must be compatible with Toast. After all, they do supply a version of Toast with the drive

This is all just so annoying.

Would appreciate any help.

Matt

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
May 18, 2001, 08:08 PM

Transfering to the appropriate forum, Peripherals. Find thread there.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

Cipher13
May 18, 2001, 09:23 PM

Well, I don't trust that burner at all.
But then again, if its not a Yamaha, I won't touch it.

I think its probably a drive issue, but, the prob with the disc spinning, use decent CD-R's - high quality ones. Try another brand.

I recommend Verbatim discs...

------------------

AIM: Cipher1387
mail: [email protected]

theMacDude
May 18, 2001, 11:22 PM

So type of CD-R drive should I buy for my DP500? It would be cool to add a FireWire one as a second internal drive, but I hear that's "Impossible". Does Yamaha make FireWire CD-R drives? Are they the most reliable and fastest?

thanks!

------------------
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

Matthew Attoe  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2001, 04:10 AM

Hi,

I have been using Memorex Professional and unbranded. Both are rated as being suitable (speedwise) for the drive.

Any further ideas?

Matthew.

andymcdeee
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2001, 05:15 AM

I'm with Cipher. If it isn't Yamaha throw it away.

(Old School SCSI II 6x4x16)

Forum Links
Forum Rules