Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Some Illustrator Troubleshooting

Some Illustrator Troubleshooting
RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 25, 2006, 03:00 AM

I recently fired up illustrator on my powerbook again, and I'm having a very strange issue. I can create graphics with the pen tool, but I am unable to select any of the vector points. When I go to select one, the tool turns to a normal mac cursor and if I click, selects the document (or desktop) underneath Illustrator.

I have deleted all illustrator preferences and the plist file with zero results. Any ideas?

scauntay
Apr 25, 2006, 06:05 PM

thats the thing i hate about illustrator, you have to click right on the point or it will just switch tools. the best way i found to select the point you want is to click and hold the mouse and move the cursor over the point using the direct selection tool, keyboard shortcut letter "a". hope that helped out.

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2006, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by RedStar
When I go to select one, the tool turns to a normal mac cursor and if I click, selects the document (or desktop) underneath Illustrator.
By "desktop" do you mean the Illustrator art board or the actual OS X desktop?

You need to use the Direct Selection tool (white arrow) to select points, and you have to click precisely. If Illustrator is switching tools on its own (like from the Pen Tool to the regular Selection Tool)... that's odd.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

RedStar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 05:45 PM

I mean the actual OS X Desktop - as in when I click on a point it brings me to the Finder, or if a Safari window is directly behind the illustrator window I would get the Safari window.

I've been using Illustrator for quite a while, and I have never had this problem at work. I can click anywhere around a point with no problems, but when trying to manipulate a point I cannot click on it. This has made Illustrator unusable for me

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2006, 05:49 PM

Try reinstalling AI?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

RedStar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 26, 2006, 06:49 PM

Last night I re-installed it on a different part of my Hard drive and I continued having the same problems. I had previously trashed all illustrator preference / plist files, but maybe a complete wipe of Adobe products is needed here?

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 26, 2006, 09:00 PM

I recently fired up illustrator on my powerbook again, and I'm having a very strange issue.
It might be useful for you to provide actual information about your system (OS & Illustrator versions at a minimum.)

RedStar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 12:53 AM

Sure, It's an 800 MHx Tibook with 768 ram, 100 gig hard drive I added a few months ago, and the latest version of OS X. Illustrator is 11.0.0 along with the rest of the adobe suite.

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 07:53 AM

Sounds like you might have Shapeshifter running. Exclude Illustrator.

RedStar  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2006, 11:16 AM

You are a genius. Thank you!

ChrisF
Senior User
Apr 28, 2006, 01:16 PM

You are a genius. Thank you!
I'm not a genius; I searched Adobe's Illustrator forum for "click" and "desktop."

Forum Links
Forum Rules