Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best cost/quality ram for powerbook, is this it?

Best cost/quality ram for powerbook, is this it?
coincopy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 09:56 AM

Hands down I have not seen a better deal, is there any reason to not buy this? Newegg.com - Crucial 1GB 200-Pin DDR SO-DIMM Notebook Memory - OEM

$99 shipped from Newegg for a 1GB PC2700 Ram stick.

I've read the few comments with compatibility issues but in that case if it doesn't work they are really good with taking them back, and it HAS worked for many people flawlessly, isn't it a no brainer or is Kingston or "OEM" ram much much better?

Also, I have 512mb right now, would I see a major difference with 2x1Gb or would 1x512mb and 1x1Gb be almost as good? I'm experiencing some lag when multiple apps are open, this is on a 1.5Ghz machine. Thanks!

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2007, 10:16 AM

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2007, 10:28 AM

Im actually looking for the same ram myself. 2 x 1GB sticks. I've found the Kingston one brand new at $90 shipped.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2007, 01:07 AM

Both good brands. I go with Kingston, Crucial, Samsung, Hynix, Mushkin and Corsair only. You have a quality computer, you should spend a few bucks more to get quality ram.

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by macboy View Post
Im actually looking for the same ram myself. 2 x 1GB sticks. I've found the Kingston one brand new at $90 shipped.
Care to share the link!!

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by coincopy View Post
Care to share the link!!
There was this guy on eBay who was selling it for $90 shipped but I can't find him anymore. I bought 4 off of him, 2 for my 17" and 2 for a friend's 12" Powerbook only for him to come back later and tell me that it doesn't take 2 one gig's. He's still covering the charge, but I can sell you his if you want. Its still unopened I think. Its the Kingston one KVR333SO/1GR

macboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2007, 03:01 PM

I just read your first post again. It made a big difference on my 1.5ghz. I was at 2 x 512MB and I just upgraded to Kingston's 2 x 1GB and its blazing fast right now.

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 25, 2007, 03:41 PM

pm sent

wubrew
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2007, 01:33 PM

I recently bought 2x1G PC 5300 (667) from here they works great. Reasonably priced. No rebate to wait for. Quality product by Apple recommended manufacturer.

200 pin PC2100, PC2700 and PC3200 Notebook and Laptop SODIMM Modules: OEMPCworld.com
It's "Brewed" not "Juiced"

coincopy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2007, 05:01 AM

I fell victim to great prices on ebay an picked up 2gb for $100 shipped..

Forum Links
Forum Rules