Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > SCSI Question

SCSI Question
ddregs
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2001, 07:51 AM

Hi all,
I have a PowerMac G3 (Beige) 300MHz, and I have a SCSI chain with two devices: one Yamaha CD-RW and an old SyQuest 44MB.
Every time I turn on the power to the Syquest automaticcaly my computer starts up. I tried to add a terminator to the last device, invert the order of the devices, carefully watched the SCSI IDs and everything looks fine and works fine. The only problem is the computer auto-starts up, and when I select shut down it restarts (because of the same problem).
I recently bought an HP 6300C scanner, and it suffers from the same problem. Even connecting ONLY the scanner to the SCSI port the computer auto-starts up.
Any ideas or solution?
Best regards

------------------
Classic Van Halen - soon on your screen...
Attention, Roland V-Drums drummer here....

Richie Daggers Crime
Jan 23, 2001, 10:02 AM

Keep the Syquest on all the time.

cygnusx1
Jan 23, 2001, 10:52 AM

make sure you're not using ID 7 since that's the SCSI controller's ID.

unplug everything (ADB, serial devices, etc.) from the computer and see if it happens.

unplug the computer, power up the syquest, then plug the computer back in to see if there is a surge problem.

run apple system profiler to see if it correctly identifies the syquest drive (and all other SCSI devices)

this is a really weird problem, and could be an electrical problem with something, like the motherboard (where the SCSI is) or the cable you are using.

i guess if you are adventurous you could dismantle the syquest and try to put it inside your computer (if you have a free bay). not sure if it's designed like most external devices where it's an internal device inside a box with an interface and power supply.

ps, if DLR comes back to VH, i am definitely going to see the show.

ddregs  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2001, 01:48 PM

Nice suggestions, CygnusX-1 (I believe Rush will definitely come back next year ); they are not on SCSI ID 7 (motherboard), they are on 2 and 3 (cd writer and syquest).
The strangest thing is when I do the same with only 1 device attached, the cd-writer, it all works fine. With the Syquest not, the same for the scanner.
Very strange indeed...

Classic VH = DLR back...

------------------

Gregory
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2001, 02:58 PM

I would invest in smart active termination and pass-thru active terminator that allows safe turning on/off of device (scanner usually). Smart Active powered SCSI Sentry II or something - TCM Cables has a lot of good equipment and helpful.

Granite Digital http://www.scsipro.com 510-471-6267
TMC http://www.tmcscsi.com at 415-454-5425

Gregory

ddregs  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2001, 03:19 PM

Good suggestion Gregory, thanks

But it's still weird everything's workin'....
I can see every device I connect to the chain, 1 at a time or everything together....
Sometimes things are strange in the computer world

------------------

Lint
Jan 23, 2001, 04:50 PM

Well i hope i can shed some indirect light on your problem. When i got my g3 i moved my old micropolis 1.7 external scsi to it and reformatted with drive setup (which appears to have worked). However whenever i shut down and the drive was mounted the computer would never actually power off until i turned off the power on the the external drive. (OTP, apple supprt was totally of no help on this issue). The solution turnout to he the hard disk driver, when i reformatted with HDT it worked fine. My assumption is that the bus got locked in a wait state for a scsi disconnect or something.

Forum Links
Forum Rules