Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New G4 on truck--how do I pass the next few hours?

New G4 on truck--how do I pass the next few hours?
niko
Forum Regular
Oct 6, 2000, 12:26 PM

I am finding it hard to pass the next few hours while I wait for my new G4 MP500 with big momma Cinema Display

What do you suggest I do to pass the time?

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2000, 12:56 PM

Figure out how you're going to pay for it, if you haven't already

/e

PTChristy
Oct 6, 2000, 07:15 PM

Niko:

I would be very interested (and others may as well) in hearing about your impressions of your new Cinema Display. I've just posted my observations to this Forum under a topic started by 'AMR' about the Cinema Display Availability. I've tested my display and have found no bad pixels, so I'm very happy. Hope you have similar good results.
Regards,

Pete Christy

theMacDude
Oct 7, 2000, 11:32 AM

I've had no problems with my Cinema Display. No bad or stuck pixels, mars on the screen or anything.

The only two things that I've found even slight disapointment is:

A) Most games out there don't take advantage of the aspect ratio or the high resolution.

B) MacDesktops lists pictures without 1600x1024 versions even if you ask it not to.

Oh, one more...Dealing with the jealousy.

------------------
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

niko  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2000, 09:19 AM

My cinema display is very very nice. I had not seen one in person erson before and was a little surprised to see how BIG it really is. No probems at all.

kertong
Oct 16, 2000, 03:29 PM

heh heh. cinema display.

I haven't had a change to play with one myself, or see one in action personally, but what I did see of the cinema display was quite humorous.

I'm currently a student at U.C. Berkeley - and if you guys are familiar with the campus area, you'll know about the famous "Telegraph Avenue". Pretty much a straight strip of street with a lot of stores, bums, street shops, and... bums.

A few weeks ago, Apple came to campus to recruit and promote, I guess. I was planning on going - so as I walked down Telegraph politley declining the bum's requests for spare change, I noticed this man in his 40s-50s in an orange shirt, wheeling a cart down the street on the other side.

And I saw a glint of lucite sticking up over the cart. I believe it was just the back "leg" of the display. But sensing the magical aura around every mac product encased in lucite, I ran across the street, avoiding the oncoming cars, and caught up with the man in the orange shirt. I made some small talk with him - asked him if he was from apple, etc, etc. And lo and behold - in the cart, in plain view, was a cinema display.

It wasn't even tied down, and as he wheeled the cart across the bumpy road, the display bounched up and down in the cart.. and it was face down!! I almost cried and had to restrain myself from "rescuing" the poor display (taking it and running home).

Well. sorry for the long post.

But boy, the cinema display was a BEAUTY - especially in person! The commercials don't do it justice. I hope you guys are enjoying yours - I'd love one too, just can't fork out the $4k

jaguarandi
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 16, 2000, 04:52 PM

A local Mac-only dealer has a 22" Cinema Display on display. They were running DVDs and the 'Mission Impossible' trailer over and over. I was impressed by the brightness, not so much with the color accuracy. Unlike most other flat panels, though, Apple's claim of a wide viewing angle seems to be true: when walking in the door and looking straight ahead, you're at a full ~75 degrees from dead center (the display was angled away from the door - good job, guys!). But it's still as bright and easy to see as when you're looking straight at it.

It was nice and all, but $4,000? Not in this lifetime...

/e

Forum Links
Forum Rules