Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 startup gong

G4 startup gong
jpmfan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 02:37 PM

When I turn on my 2001-spec G4 a really loud "gong" noise comes from my speakers (the Apple "Pro" ones). Does anyone know how to turn this off or make it quieter as it's kinda loud and might bring down the ceiling if it goes on for much longer.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2001, 03:11 PM

Well, there's really no straightforward way to disable the startup chime on your G4, it's a hardcoded part of the system ROM. You can, however, do a few things to silence the chime upon startup..

The easiest option would be to put a pair of headphones into the headphone jack on the small box that's connected to the speaker cable on your Pro Speakers. This will send the sound signal through to your headphones, and silence the output from the speakers.

Another option would be to unplug the speakers when your system starts up, but that's not very practical..

Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Nyuni (edited 04-18-2001).]
The Quintessential Featherhead.

dmessing
Apr 18, 2001, 03:11 PM

I've found that turning the system volume down, but not off, will reduce the volume of the startup chime. I don't know how to disable it entirely though.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 18, 2001, 03:17 PM

On my lombard I have the need to turn off the start up bong. I don't like to make everyone aware that I have a Mac in my mostly PC shop.

I mute the speaker before shutdown and then unmute it after it has booted. You may be able to make applescripts that do the same and put them in your startup & shutdown items folders. The only problem is if it crashes, it will make the bong sound on startup. This also doesn't seem to work on OSX, at least not on my Lombard.

Originally posted by jpmfan:
When I turn on my 2001-spec G4 a really loud "gong" noise comes from my speakers (the Apple "Pro" ones). Does anyone know how to turn this off or make it quieter as it's kinda loud and might bring down the ceiling if it goes on for much longer.

Any assistance gratefully received.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2001, 03:18 PM

I have a PowerBook G3, and I get asked this question all the time..."Isn't it loud when you restart?"

If you turn your main system volume down, the chime will turn down.

If you turn your system volume OFF (no sound, but the menu bar flashes), then the chime will go OFF.

Potatoswatter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 03:26 PM

The Macs I use disable the chime when the speakers are muted (volume = 0). It seems that some people here have different experience... In any case, you can easily keep the Mac chiming the way you want without too much volume adjustment by placing a scripts [applications] in the Startup Items and Shutdown Items folders that restore and save your volume, respectively.

rezEdit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 03:50 PM

You can also use an extension called QuietStart or Quiet Start. Do a search on versiontracker.com for it. It mutes your volume when you restart and then restores it during boot. Works great. It's effects seem to carry over to OS X as well as I never hear the gong when restarting X.

Actually, just searched versiontracker and it's not there :-(

But I did find it here:
http://macinsearch.com/infomac2/conf...-start-13.html

Enjoy :-)

[This message has been edited by rezEdit (edited 04-18-2001).]

cube-dude
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 18, 2001, 07:16 PM

A forum search of "startup sound" found http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Foru...ML/002426.html with additional comments/complaints.

MP 2 x 2.8 and etc.

billearl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2001, 08:14 PM

You can download Quiet Start 1.3 from here:

ftp://ftp.amug.org/pub/amug/amug-fil...rt-1.3.sit.hqx

Bill

[This message has been edited by billearl (edited 04-18-2001).]

Lint
Apr 18, 2001, 08:56 PM

well im not sure this will work but what if you dump a shutdown ascript to mute the voume and a startup to return it to normal.

gravco
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2001, 12:42 AM

A few years ago I remember reading in MacUser how to write an AppleScript that you can put in your shutdown items folder to mute your volume. Then you can write one to unmute your volume and put it in the startup items folder. I can't remember how to write it because it was a few years ago, but it's really basic.

Cake
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 01:32 AM

Originally posted by RoofusPennymore:
I don't like to make everyone aware that I have a Mac in my mostly PC shop.
Roofus, be proud of your intelligence and forward thinking, not ashamed to make those PeeCee'ers jealous !

the pickle
Apr 19, 2001, 01:52 AM

PowerBooks, at least since the G3 Series was introduced, will NOT chime on startup if the mute is on. All other Macs will chime regardless of volume setting.

If you really wanted to get down and dirty, I bet you could ResEdit the ROM file to change the system startup sound on the ROM-in-RAM Macs, though I don't have one to test it on so I can't confirm this.

p

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2001, 10:33 AM

Sorry, pickle, not true.

The startup chime volume of my 2001 G4 IS affected by the system volume settings. If place the system on mute, the startup chime will not sound.

EDIT: Just a quick note, the startup sound does NOT seem to be in the ROM-in-RAM. It must be in the ROM on the motherboard.

[This message has been edited by TheDoctor (edited 04-19-2001).]

jpmfan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2001, 02:39 PM

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I'll try out quiet start and some Apple scripts.

Forum Links
Forum Rules