Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > How to dirty up a solid texture, giving it gradation?

How to dirty up a solid texture, giving it gradation?
k2director
Senior User
Jan 13, 2008, 04:18 PM

Hi,
I'm trying to create some old map graphics like the two examples below, where solid colors such as blue water or beige land are NOT in fact one solid color, but use many gradients of a color (darker and lighter variants) to achieve an older, grungier look.

http://www.k2films.com/dirty_land.jpg
http://www.k2films.com/dirty_water.jpg

I'm not looking for step by step instructions, but was just wondering if anyone knew the basics behind how this kind of 'dirty texturing' is done?

Right now, I'm experimenting with laying down a solid color (like blue for water), and then creating a brush in a slightly different color (a bit darker or lighter) and then using the Spatter setting to apply that brush across the solid, breaking it up with the lighter or darker color.

Does that sound right? If anyone could recommend a better way, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks much!

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 14, 2008, 12:55 PM

Look around for some free custom PShop brushes. There's plenty of sites that have all sorts of them or, make your own. If you don't know how, just look at PhotoShop's Help.

hart
Senior User
Jan 29, 2008, 10:49 AM

Hey, I never stop into this forum so excuse me if this is a moronic answer but just yesterday I found in Photoshop the filter/render menu that has clouds, difference clouds and fibers all of which can mess up your surface using foreground and background color. Some combination of them may produce what you're looking for with the right colors and maybe some semi-transparent layering. Fibers is a bit linear tho.

Forum Links
Forum Rules