Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Download Speeds: Cable vs. Verizon Fios

Download Speeds: Cable vs. Verizon Fios
Chucktr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 05:48 PM

Verizon has been pitching me to switch from Time-Warner (cable) telling me they can dramatically improve my up/download speeds. I have a download running now running at 50,000 bytes/sec. I seem to remember much faster speeds when T-W first wired my neighborhood.

I have tried speed tests and do not understand the results (which seem to vary widely). What is "fast" download for a cable? Or "slow" or "average"?

Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Apr 15, 2008, 06:02 PM

Go to Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test, run the test, and tell us what your current download and upload speeds are. Do this when you're not downloading something else.

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2008, 08:52 PM

Download: 2476 kbps, Upload 479 kbps, Latency: 39 ms, Distance: <50 miles

How does this compare with the 50,000 bytes/sec I was seeing with a Fetch download earlier today?

Thanks!

Cold Warrior
Apr 15, 2008, 09:05 PM

Are you sure it was 50,000 bytes, not bits? 50k byte is 50 MB/s, which isn't possible on normal connections.

Anyway, your rated download speed is middle-of-the-road. Not very fast, not slow, but you can max it out easily if you download a lot of media, especially several files at once.

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2008, 08:34 AM

Yes, I'm sure it's bytes -- at least that's what's described in the Fetch sidebar. This morning it was up to 114K...

Cold Warrior
Apr 16, 2008, 06:26 PM

If it was just K, then how can you be sure? Was it Kb or KB?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 16, 2008, 07:02 PM

Cable speed can very dramatically. It depends on your location. For me, I'm lucky if I get dial-up speeds during the evening.

FiOS will most likely be faster than Cable, if anything because the speed isn't dependent on how much your neighbors download. Also, as far as I know, Verizon doesn't participate in packet shaping and filtering like Comcast. I'd switch simply on principle. If I had any other option I'd tell Comcast to go f**k themselves.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2008, 11:54 AM

Sorry, Coldwarrior -- I abbreviated there. The Fetch sidebar read (literally): "Transfer: 114,852 bytes/s"

But I'm getting the point. Cable up/down rates can vary wildly. The "Why don't you clear your cache?" I've gotten from RR tech support is akin to the "Let's fix the problem by restarting your computer" I used to hear from AOL Tech Support in the early days when they were trying to explain away a busy signal on most attempts to connect with their dailup connection.

I will try VIOS. Maybe I can get a more reliable and cheaper picture on my flatscreen as well...

Thanks very much for the advice!

hookem2oo7
Senior User
Apr 17, 2008, 01:06 PM

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2008, 02:07 PM

Thanks, Hookem! Much appreciated!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Apr 22, 2008, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chucktr View Post
I will try VIOS. Maybe I can get a more reliable and cheaper picture on my flatscreen as well...
Yes. Comcast compresses their signals more than FIOS so they can fit more channels into their package. I can't find the article, but there's a side-by-side comparison of Comcast v. FIOS and it is noticeably different. Sometimes the Comcast HD picture looks like something you downloaded off of BitTorrent. Comcast also degrades the signal in proportion to popularity of a particular channel.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules