Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macbook Pro heat and fan problems

Macbook Pro heat and fan problems
chrischen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 03:54 PM

I just got a Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz 15.4" and it gets REALLY hot. I've heard the new MBP are much cooler, but that would mean the old ones got to 100 degrees celsius?

When playing games in Bootcamp it easily gets to 75 degrees celsius and the fans are inaudible (i'm assuming they stay at 1995 rpm). In OSX it gets to about 145 degrees FAHRENHEIT if I have some browser windows open and the TV tuner running. But the thing is the fan has NEVER gone faster than 1995 RPM unless I manually raise it with SMC fan control (if I use SMC fan control I can hear the fans go so I know they work).

But i search google and all I hear is stuff about turning down the fan. Not a problem for me since I never even hear it unless I press my ear onto the computer. THen I can hear a small hum but not for long before my ears are burnt.

So is this normal or should i go ask for a replacement computer while I still can?

Thanks,
Chris

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2008, 04:03 PM

Reset the PRAM by holding down command + option + P + R after the chime for a subsequent 3 chimes. If that doesn't sort the issue, try resetting the SMC, by shutting down, removing the power adaptor and battery, holding down the power button for 5 seconds and re-inserting battery and AC power.

If that still doesn't work, take a trip to the Apple store.

chrischen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 04:09 PM

So in other words you're telling me this is not normal?

This has been a problem since day one (it's been about 2 weeks) and I've shut down the Macbook several times since then. But I'll try your advice anyways.

chrischen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 04:12 PM

I held down command + option + p + r and nothing happens.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2008, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by chrischen View Post
I held down command + option + p + r and nothing happens.
Directly after the chime? For how long, it doesn't instantly reboot, but it will.

As for whether it's normal or not, I don't think it is. What does youtube do? On this Macbook, the fan will eventually ramp up past 1800 which it idles at.

chrischen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 07:19 PM

I didn't know you had to reboot it at first. But I did and then it chimed 3 times and after the fourth time I let go and it booted. Problem still persists. I just tested it by running the CoD2 demo. Temp went up to 150 degrees fahrenheit but the fan stayed between 1998 and 2005 rpm, which it idles at normally.

I'm gonna try and reset the SMC now.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 3, 2008, 07:20 PM

Oopsy, you're right, I forgot that bit. Sorry

chrischen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2008, 07:50 PM

Ok so I just removed the power and battery and held down the power button for like 20 seconds. Then I booted and played the DOOM 4 demo. Temp went up to 150 degrees fahrenheit again or about 60 something degrees celsius. Fan still stayed at 1995 - 2008 rpm.

So i guess I'm gonna bring it into the mac genius.

Will they replace my macbook and if they do do they transfer the hard drive?

Took me literally 2 days straight to install windows, adobe cs3 and set the backup schedules (the backup scheduling was annoying since my ext hard drive isn't big enough so i had to keep removing files from backup).

Thanks,
Chris

chrischen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hey also do you think i can return the macbook because it's defective?

http://toshbuy.com/index.php?cPath=15 - says the new ones are coming out in a few days. (If it's before sept. 15 I'd be really pissed off)

Be really cool if I can return mine now and grab a new one.

coincopy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2008, 07:23 AM

http://homepage.mac.com/holtmann/eid...ol2/index.html

It has a temp display, as well as programmable outputs of fan speed. My settings are: Default, Medium, Fast, Superfast, respectively 2000rpm, 3000rpm, 4500rpm and 6000rpm

This program rocks

Forum Links
Forum Rules