Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacing a logic board would not be same SN# correct??

Replacing a logic board would not be same SN# correct??
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2011, 04:23 PM

Because It's been a while since I've had one done I'd like to confirm that when a logic board has been replaced in a Mac desktop or portable that the SN# is not available and it shows up blank in the OS correct?

I ask because I had a repair done where I asked for the logic board to be replaced, the shop says it was replaced but once we got it back the issues were there. I took the laptop back they said they could not find the issues and returned it. The video and freezing issues returned today. I looked and the SN# in OS X About this Mac is the same as on the case. With past repairs the SN# is not present as the logic board was replaced and the case is how you know what the SN# is. Anyways with the SN# matching this to me means it was not changed. Would this not be the case? They said it was replaced the first time it was in?

Thank you

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2011, 04:58 PM

I honestly can't say for Apple. I know the work I've done with Dell computers at work we have a special program that allows us to change the service tag and asset tag on the motherboard when we get replacement parts. I would imagine the same is true for Apple motherboards. Actually I know that is true because the refurbished macs come with a different serial number then standard ones. Guess will have to wait for a service tech who has worked for Apple to reply.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2011, 06:00 PM

My machine has just had its MLB replaced (early 2011 Thunderbolt MBP), and the serial number still shows up in About This Mac.

This didn't used to be the case; apparently, it's normal now.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2011, 07:27 PM

Interesting.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2011, 08:25 PM

Apple boards ship from the warehouse without a serial number programmed in. The serial is flashed by the tech who installs it using a special utility. Its not unprecedented that this last step be forgotten, but its not supposed to happen. This has been the case for several years now. Apple did stop the practice for a while I believe, but soon reinstated it. Prior to this, technicians could flash and ref lash all they wanted. Now they get one shot and if they get it wrong, they are supposed to put another new board in.
The logic boards have their own serial numbers, different from the serial number of the Mac which is used for various internal tracking purposes. Its not always easily accessible (its often on a label on the RAM slots for example on the non-unibody MBPs) but any Apple employee with access to the right system can tell you if the board was changed or not as they keep a record of the old and new serial number of the logic boards.
Call Applecare and have them check for you if in doubt.

Boards where they forgot to flash the new number usually show up as #systemseumb or something like that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules