Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Stock

Apple Stock
Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 20, 2005, 11:06 AM

I'm sure many here are more learned in the stock business than I, so here we go.

I bought 15 shares of Apple stock just mainly for a novelty for about $20 per share. Since then it's split and I've got 30 shares at $53 or so. Opinons on cashing in and reinvesting the profits elsewhere. I keep thinking the stock migh have peaked, but it still inches up. I had thought about just keeping the stock, and holding on to it and see what it looks like in 10 years. I had basically a $300 investment. I think the return I've had is pretty good, so maybe it's time to reinvest.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 11:12 AM

The stock market is a long term game. Personally I'd keep the shares and try to forget about them for the next twenty years.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mark N
I'm sure many here are more learned in the stock business than I, so here we go.

I bought 15 shares of Apple stock just mainly for a novelty for about $20 per share. Since then it's split and I've got 30 shares at $53 or so. Opinons on cashing in and reinvesting the profits elsewhere. I keep thinking the stock migh have peaked, but it still inches up. I had thought about just keeping the stock, and holding on to it and see what it looks like in 10 years. I had basically a $300 investment. I think the return I've had is pretty good, so maybe it's time to reinvest.
I thought the stock had peaked too, and sold some of my stash below $40 before the last earnings report. Now it's above $50. So that tells you how much I know.

At the time, I thought that the Intel transition would cause computer (especially laptop sales) to lag behind. I thought the company would weather it well enough, with their cash reserves, but got greedy and figured the price would go down in the next 12 months. Well, it turns out that the iPod is making quite enough money for Apple, and that was before they came out with the nano.

There's nothing wrong with selling your stash and taking the profit -- after all, you don't make any money in the stock market until the cash is in your hands -- but I still think Apple has room to move up. Who knows, if the nano drives their profits higher, maybe they'll split again next year?

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 20, 2005, 11:26 AM

Every time I think about selling, it goes up more.

I'll probably end up just putting new money into the market instead of selling stock off. *shrug* I guess I'll decide later.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 20, 2005, 12:25 PM

A significant portion of my shares got sold due to the stop loss I placed when I and everyone else were concerned about SJ's health. The stock dipped significantly and just touched my threshold. Not a HUGE loss, though, even if I were still in it today. At least I tripled my initial investment.

The market isn't too difficult to understand, but it can be highly volatile. Some of the worst advice, IMO, comes from the conventional wisdom that investing is a long term affair. If a stock is a continual loser, it should be sold rather than held to the bottom. If you see a trend, go with the market, don't fight the current because others have said it's prudent. YMMV.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Sep 20, 2005, 02:04 PM

I bought at $36 and sold at $52 (all of this before the split). Now, knowing that I could have more than tripled my original investment...man am I pissed.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Some of the worst advice, IMO, comes from the conventional wisdom that investing is a long term affair.
That depends entirely on whether you're prepared to look after your investment on a daily basis or if you're content to just let it be.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 20, 2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
could have
This is what keeps the lights on in Las Vegas night after night.

Salty
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2005, 11:35 PM

Dang I wanna buy Apple stock it's doing so well. Then again as soon as I have money Apple's stock'll drop just watch!

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 20, 2012, 05:37 PM

I don't think it has peaked quite yet.

(Nostalgia post)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 20, 2012, 06:11 PM

I'd sell.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/applesoft-it-different-time

But then again, I'm the worst timer in AAPL ever.

Once I go long AAPL, you gotta sell sell sell

-t

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2012, 06:06 AM

Now this is the kind of zombie thread I can get behind.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2012, 06:43 AM

I'm sure there are tons of other "Apple Stock" threads that could be ressurected.

-t

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2012, 06:46 AM

So everyone should pick one and resurrect it. It will be The Great Apple Stock Zombie Apocalypse of 2012.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 21, 2012, 11:59 AM

Right after I posted I found one where everyone was screaming to sell at 20-30 bucks because "Apple Stock will never go up!".

So good.

Forum Links
Forum Rules