Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Air Thunderbolt-HDMI cable to LCD TV

Air Thunderbolt-HDMI cable to LCD TV
Chucktr
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2014, 11:48 AM

Wondering how my early 2014 Air will drive an LCD TV via Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. For example I assume a YouTube 480p will show a decent picture on a 19" Samsung TV but not well on a 40" Sony. 720-1080p would provide a better picture.

I have cable WiFi so available bandwidth could be a factor(?)

Any comments?

Thanks!

P
Nov 18, 2014, 12:15 PM

It works fine. Anything up to 1440p is absolutely no problem. When you're moving up to 4K it gets more interesting, but I suspect that you would have said if you have a 4K TV.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 18, 2014, 12:20 PM

This is less about what the computer will do, and more about content. Technically, the computer has no problems driving the LCD, and even a 4k at 30Hz.

A 480p YouTube will look like crap upscaled. Get the best sources you can!

Chucktr  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 18, 2014, 12:40 PM

Thanks, guys! I'm thinking that if the cable costs 10 bucks, trying this is a no-brainer anyway

Chuck

Forum Links
Forum Rules