Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PBTi Rumors?

PBTi Rumors?
schoettle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 22, 2001, 07:52 PM

Does anyone have any true information relating to the PB eventually including a Superdrive (writeable DVD drive) included in it? Is this something that is on the way - anyone know how soon? Or is this all BS?

Kerygma99
Jan 22, 2001, 08:04 PM

It's got to be bunk. The superdrive was only just introduced on the desktops, and portables are always a year, or at least 2 or 3 revisions behind that. And I can't imagine anyone at Apple has plotted out the first PBTi revision yet. If they knew what was good for them, they'd be concentrating on filling the orders of all the customers who ordered the PB G4 on Steve's word that they would be shipping by the end of Jan!

K99

theMacDude
Jan 22, 2001, 08:28 PM

It wouldn't fit. and probably won't for a few years. DVD-Rs are also expensive right now. I priced one a few months ago and it was over $4K, just for the drive. Obviously, Apple has found ways to get them cheaper.

-MacDude
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

mr_sonicblue
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2001, 11:32 PM

Apparently the drives are cheap because they can't copy-protect a DVD. I dunno though.

------------------

sodamnregistered
Jan 22, 2001, 11:40 PM

The Superive for PB is a "petition" from users. Noble, but no relation to reality.

I thought Apple was gonna sell 5 DVD-R discs for $49?

I have also hear that the Superdrive can't create copy protected discs as well. The $4500 Pioneer unit I presume can.

Apple does not know what cheaper is and has little if anything to do with the "revolution." They are in herd with Compaq trying to implement the Superdrive.

Is this copy protection crap the sole reason I have not been able to have the utility of DVD-R in my professional video business? Figures.

[This message has been edited by sodamnregistered (edited 01-22-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules