Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Locusts

Locusts
Spectre666
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2001, 01:53 AM

What I'm about to say really has nothing to do with Macs directly, but I feel many Mac users, especially web designers, will take interest. Basically, this is just something that I need to get off my chest. I'm not throwing a fit, I'm not whining, I'm simply stating my mind.

I am a freelance graphic and web designer. Most of the work I do is for bands, but I work with many different types of clients. I have been using computers my entire life (literally), and I have always had a love for art and design. From the beginning, I have tought myself everything I know how to do. I tought myself because I enjoyed the process of learning new software. I enjoyed learning how to use/fix/upgrade/tweak my computer. Most importantly, I enjoyed transfering my artistic visions into a digital form on the computer, and sharing my creations with anyone and everyone.

When internet access was finally available in my area about 6 years ago, the first thing I wanted to do was design web pages. Not because I wanted to make money, not because I wanted to impress people. I did it because that's what I wanted to do. So I did. And I still do.

Over time, people started to contact me, wanting me to design web pages, flyers, brochures, etc. for them. I didn't charge much, because at that time I was still in high school and really didn't need much money. That and I loved doing it, so the money was simply a bonus.

Now, however, things are a little different. I am in college, there are things I HAVE to pay for, and I have to make a living. I still don't charge much, and I always keep a personal, one on one relationship with my clients. All my clients (which are actually few and far between) can tell just by LOOKING at the sites I design for them that this is what I love to do. And they appreciate that.

Recently, I have been noticing a "phenomenon," if you will, in the world of web design. Actually, a better word would be "infestatation." Suddenly, everyone and their dog has found that there is money to be made designing web pages. They hear of people that earn an entire years living (by my standards) by designing and maintaining a single website. Of course, they want to make money too, so they go and buy a computer, get some software, and learn how to use it. Next thing you know they are calling themselves "webmasters."

With this new label they have placed upon themselves, they go out and find as many clients as possible. They charge incredible amounts of money, milking every cent they can from their clients. After all, the average client rarely knows anything about web design, or any type of design for that matter, and doesn't realize that they are simply being scammed.

This swarm of "webmasters" is overwhelming to the few people out there who are designers because it is their LOVE.

They are like locusts.

The few people who design websites because it is their love, like me, are then forced to make one of only a handful of possible decisions. One route they can take is to raise their prices because their client base is drastically decreased. They don't want to raise prices though, due to the fact that they have already established a respectable, personal, low-cost relationship with their clients. Or, they can attempt to get a job at a design firm, though most of these designers prefer to be their own boss. Lastly, they can quit designing websites for a living and simply do it for pleasure while attempting to make money elsewhere.

No where else is this infestation better manifested than in my college. My classes are crawling with these filthy "webmasters" that are studying "web development" and are simply out to get rich. They speak in a tone that, to me, is like fingernails scraping against a chalk board. The tone of voice they use when they tell someone "I'm a web designer" that seems to say "I'm better than you."

Now, I know that these locusts don't see it this way. Many of them, sadly enough, really do think they are "webmasters" just because they have the tools and took a couple classes. Most of them are just jumping on the web design bandwagon because it's the "in-thing" to do lately.

Sure...they may get the clients. They may get the money. But they will NEVER get the respect from the designers out there who are in this field because it is their most driving passion.

I hate everyone equally.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2001, 02:16 AM

Same. I have been on my school's web team for 3 years. I do it because I like it, not because we make any money (we don't.)
http://web.harker.org/

We are updating the layout. It should be up within a month.

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2001, 02:36 AM

And how many of these "Locusts" do you think actually uses Pure HTML and CSS?

Not very many, methinks.

(I do, BTW )

------------------
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

Bockie
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 01:11 PM

Oh, yes...gotta love Notepad!

------------------
"Life cannot be contained...Life finds a way."
-Ian Malcom, Jurassic Park (movie version)
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

el matteo
Forum Regular
Apr 8, 2001, 01:37 PM

Here's the way I look at it.

Don't worry about it. There will always be low-quality, low-class fly by night operations. The difference is your perspective. Right now I'm not getting much work, and when I do it, it's usually free or at a greatly reduced rate from what they'd normally pay. That's because I know I'm not as good as a classically trained graphic designer, that I have a lot to learn, and it's not ethical to charge someone out the wazoo when I don't even have a degree or a substantial amount of experience. The "locusts" (I prefer the term "leeches" ) have the advantage at this point, but when I'm out of school, that tide will shift. I'll have the background necessary to actually make myself worth that much money, and I am confident that my portfolio and my credentials will prove that. Since there will always be leeches, there will always bee saps who patronize them. But you also have to consider that if someone has such a poor sense of aesthetics that they'd hire a "leech," it's probably not something worth your time anyway. That's what i tell myself anyway.

theMacDude
Apr 8, 2001, 02:15 PM

On the other hand, I started a few web pages back in '93 for work and it quickly spread to include many-many people and pages.

At first i was just trying to answer questions that I, as a Mac support person, would get asked. Once i was asked the same question 5-10 times, I'd write up the answer and stick it on a page.

The next thing you know, my boss is asking me to do pages for UNIX questions, PC questions, etc. Then, I'm helping to disign the layout of the whole Intranet for a Fortune 500 company (we grew pretty fast.) All this while I was doing other things too.

Does this make me a locust? Or was the web itself ravenous swarm?

There's plenty of space out there, shine and you'll do fine. Bitch and moan and you'll get what you pay for. (yeah, i know, you said you weren't, but other people besides you read this stuff too. )

------------------
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?
-jjh
Did you know that this would happen?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2001, 07:35 PM

Its the same with every business. There will always be hack carpenters, mechanics, architects, and so on and so on.

Just those type of people have finally managed to infest the internet. Luckily there are still people like you who are both good designers (who love their work) and good people.

I can design good, just I don't know jack sh!t about making websites so I stay my white a** out the web (Gone In 60 Seconds quote right there).

------------------

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2001, 10:33 PM

I read your rant a while ago, and while I nodded my head a lot, I had nothing to add.
I just checked my e-mail, and there's a spam from someone who wants to turn me into a webmaster.
I empathize.
I am an R&D tech, mechatronics(God doesn't that ring better than electro-mechanical??) chasing a BS in Physics and I still hear ads from DeVrie and such telling people to jump on the lucrative Tech bandwagon. There have been times when I had to run a jackhammer because there were too many "techs" for the available jobs. One guy I worked with years ago, kept his job by playing racketball with the engineers. Stupid jerk couldn't even read a schematic, BUT he HAD an associates degree in electronics. pffffft.
Hang tough. Be persistent, no... tenacious.

Forum Links
Forum Rules