Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.1 = 6D42 fixes nothing

10.2.1 = 6D42 fixes nothing
bonsaisuperstar
Aug 23, 2002, 04:00 PM

still no 'effin scsi support

t_hah
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 04:05 PM

If you are writing about an update that no of us have heard of yet...can you be a little more specific on what has been changed? Thanks,

t

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:08 PM

im not sure how much more specific i can be...my only issue with 10.2 has been no scsi support....i ws really hoping the 10.2.1 update would fix my scsi issues but no avail which means it will probably be a long time for this fix to happen

Pauldunlop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 04:08 PM

I too have seen this new 10.2.1 build online, but haven't dared try it yet. Apparently, it will include, among other things, some FTP bug fixes for the finder. No clue as to when it will become publically available

Originally posted by t_hah:
If you are writing about an update that no of us have heard of yet...can you be a little more specific on what has been changed? Thanks,

t

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:12 PM

this update should be available sometime today

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2002, 04:15 PM

It'll be up to the SCSI adapter mfgs to come up with drivers probably. I can see Apple writing SCSI drivers only as a last resort.

Since the entire foundation of the OS was updated from gcc 2.9.5 to gcc 3.1 and from an old BSD to a much newer one, I can see that some things like SCSI drivers won't work until updated.

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:22 PM

i had numerous contacts with adobe in the last week regarding this issue and finally i got one of their driver developers email me and he had said all issues with scsi are on apple's side...OS 10.2 actually comes with newer drivers than the ones in 10.1.5...so...its all apple now

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:23 PM

adobe = adaptec...sorry

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 04:28 PM

Umm, so just because 10.2.1 does not fix your one problem thats not even Apples problem, you think it fixes nothing at all?

You need to go outside.

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:36 PM

you need to learn how to read cheesedick

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 23, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by bonsaisuperstar:
Noobs...

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 04:45 PM

Last I checked it was CheesePuff.

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 23, 2002, 04:47 PM

ok sorry for the "cheesedick" reference but you started it....im just upset that i actually paid money for and installed 10.2 and i loose my scsi...hence i cant get any work done...just upset is all

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 23, 2002, 05:12 PM

ok sorry for the "cheesedick" reference but you started it....im just upset that i actually paid money for and installed 10.2 and i loose my scsi...hence i cant get any work done...just upset is all
Then that means you installed 6C115. AFAIK I never heard of a 6D42 build floating around, and if there is, please take the time to note what was changed when you installed it...

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 23, 2002, 05:53 PM

i had numerous contacts with adobe in the last week regarding this issue and finally i got one of their driver developers email me and he had said all issues with scsi are on apple's side...OS 10.2 actually comes with newer drivers than the ones in 10.1.5...so...its all apple now
That may just point to the fact that 10.2 handles things differently than 10.1.5 - and Adaptec is just passing the buck. Of course, it could also mean its a real bug - but I have a hard time believing that kind of bug - SCSI support - would be left in. Its more believable that a design change in the OS causing it not to work is the cause and the fix is an update of the driver.

But its all real speculation.

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Aug 23, 2002, 06:30 PM

Do system sounds work?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2002, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
Do system sounds work?
They do already work.

Jesus, do you want a sound every time you move your mouse for gods sake?

Sean2068
Forum Regular
Aug 23, 2002, 07:10 PM

Hell yeah!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 11:23 PM

It is YP, not AP (Apple's Problem)

SCSI is DEAD, bonsaisuperdick. Live with it.

oeyvind
Senior User
Aug 24, 2002, 12:05 AM

Someone wanna post the content of the .bom file?

% lsbom theupdater.bom

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

They do already work.

Jesus, do you want a sound every time you move your mouse for gods sake?
No they don't - only some of them and not even correctly.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2002, 07:03 AM

The only update to 10.1 is the Security Update, dated 2002-08-23. 10.2.1 isn't out yet, which means that this thread is a load of bull****.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 24, 2002, 07:14 AM

well currwrong is an *ucking idiot, go run your mouth somewhere else. Obviously you don't have access to developer ftp, because I downloaded 10.2.1 6d42, and it fixed my ftp problem, according to the installer however it is beta and won't let you upgrade to the next updates... when i get back to work in the morning i will post the ****ing pdf. in the meantime currwrong you should apoligize to the entire forum for running your DAMN mouth.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 24, 2002, 09:04 AM

What a misleading topic.

"10.2.1 = 6D42 fixes nothing does not = "10.2 doesn't have SCSI support"

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 24, 2002, 03:01 PM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
well currwrong is an *ucking idiot, go run your mouth somewhere else. Obviously you don't have access to developer ftp, because I downloaded 10.2.1 6d42, and it fixed my ftp problem, according to the installer however it is beta and won't let you upgrade to the next updates... when i get back to work in the morning i will post the ****ing pdf. in the meantime currwrong you should apoligize to the entire forum for running your DAMN mouth.
I concur if you don't know whatcha writing 'bout don't write!

aloha
( Last edited by silverghost; Aug 24, 2002 at 03:07 PM. )
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 03:27 PM

Heh. You made me laugh.

Anyway, you can't post the PDF - you'll break your NDA. Though I think thats happened more than once here.

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 24, 2002, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

It is YP, not AP (Apple's Problem)

how is this my problem? nice website....not

Mac Guru
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 05:04 PM

Not that I wanted to share in the crap slinging in here but you need to watch your mouth bub.

Adam is a very good artist and if you call that website crap then you've got cheesecloth for eyeglasses. That is a pretty badass website if I do say so myself. And if it isn't all you think it is, care to show off your web prowess? I'd love to see your website.

Oh and BTW, ADC still shows the only downloadable build as being 6C115 according to what I just saw.

Mac Guru

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2002, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
Well, not to defend this guy, but SCSI isn't dead! AFAIK, the high-end SCSI cards still are the fastest way to connect anything to a computer. The old SCSI-1 port that used to be in Macs is dead, and SCSI isn't included with all Macs (although the G4 towers still have it as an option), but SCSI itself is still very much alive.

This guy is still a dick, though, especially after that comment about your web site...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Sarc
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2002, 05:47 PM

I installed security update 2002-08-23 and my build number is still 6C115.
This leads me to believe that no change was made to the OS itself but rather loose updates to some non-MacOSX packages, such as OpenSSL.

Just a thought ...

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

bonsaisuperstar  (op)
Aug 24, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Mac Guru:
Not that I wanted to share in the crap slinging in here but you need to watch your mouth bub.

Adam is a very good artist and if you call that website crap then you've got cheesecloth for eyeglasses. That is a pretty badass website if I do say so myself. And if it isn't all you think it is, care to show off your web prowess? I'd love to see your website.

Oh and BTW, ADC still shows the only downloadable build as being 6C115 according to what I just saw.

Mac Guru

Whatever, you peice of ****ing ****! he started the whole damn thing to begin with...**** YOU ALL!!

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 24, 2002, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
This leads me to believe that no change was made to the OS itself but rather loose updates to some non-MacOSX packages, such as OpenSSL.

Just a thought ...

Sarc
Well, that's what the readme said.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 02:27 AM

Ok, I apologize for repeatedly pointing out when someone is making up facts. If there is a 6d42 that you have (and noon e else on the entire internet nor anyone I know with any connection to Apple or inside Apple has said that any updates have been released to anyone that fix anything) then go ahead, and post the readme file or its contents and prove that what you are saying is true.

Just like all the "6c116", "6c118" and "6c115b" posts, this is likely to be rubbish.

JonathanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 03:13 AM

Hi,
one of the biggest change in 6D42 is the compilation of the Window Server with Gcc3...Which isn't the case in current 6c115...

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 05:55 AM

currawong, first i looked the disk image doesn't have a pdf, the file is 11mb in space. It takes up 51mb on disk. The main updates are the frameworks and the frameworks for cd-r, however it doesn't appear to have changed anything for scsi. The best I can do is a screenshot. Just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean something doesn't exsist. It does exsist. It also fixes some of the sounds, however ftp is still not fully functional (it's getting better) but this is only build 6d42 of 10.2.1

It's funny how you think that a bunch of people randomly invented a build and then we all managed to post about it here...

*****Currwong, please never again post at this message board, we don't need you spreading more bad information.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 05:57 AM

It's an internal build which means it doesn't go out to normal adc members...

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 25, 2002, 06:04 AM

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 06:49 AM

If you look back through the forums, you'll regularly see people posting fake build numbers and other misinformation, thus my natural reaction.

If 6D42 "fixes nothing" does that mean the build that this is not what will appear in software update?

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 06:50 AM

haha, good one brainchild2b thats the same installer i got. so currawong if those screen shots dont prove anything then your not to bright!

aloha

SKP909
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 07:21 AM

ok cool, so is it worth getting that update and running it then? Or will it not let me update again did i read? (that cant be right can it?)
10.2.1 must fix more than some ftp stuff?
Doesn't seem worth worrying about? 10.2 seems ok....
thanks for the SS's
what's next?

HamSandwich
Aug 25, 2002, 08:17 AM

Hmm, how much effective performance increase could a recompilation with GC 3.1 bring? When will we get GCC 3.2 though?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 11:00 AM

GCC 3.1 won't have any speed-up. GCC 3.2 isn't completed yet. (I think)

[EDIT]
Spelling

JonathanT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 12:04 PM

If I good remember another post in those forums, gcc 3.2 will never be released (ported??) for MacOSX. I remember the reason is that it only add some features requested by Linux User, but which can't be applocable to MacOSX.. or something like that.
The Window Server re-compilation profit is real, not extraordinary, but real.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 25, 2002, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:
haha, good one brainchild2b thats the same installer i got. so currawong if those screen shots dont prove anything then your not to bright!

aloha
Heh, I don't think you realize how many fake screenshots there are floating around.

Pretty easy to make with Interface Builder. The install package can be made with PackageMaker...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

Heh, I don't think you realize how many fake screenshots there are floating around.

Pretty easy to make with Interface Builder. The install package can be made with PackageMaker...
Thats true CharlesS, ive seen my fair share of fake build shots and your right someone could put together a package quite easily with the dev tools.

aloha

Peabo
Senior User
Aug 25, 2002, 02:35 PM

This is not fake
LC 16Mhz • LC 475 25Mhz • Centris 650 25Mhz • Performa 6200/75Mhz • G3 266Mhz • Snow iMac DVSE 500Mhz
G4 QS 733Mhz • 17" Powerbook 1.33Ghz • 15" MacBook Pro Core Duo 2.16Ghz • Mac Pro 8-Core 3.0 Ghz

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 25, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Sarc:
I installed security update 2002-08-23 and my build number is still 6C115.

Just a thought ...

Sarc
I was wondering why the build # wasn't bumped either. Pretty strange. First of all, there was Apple code changed. Look at the BOM. The Security framework was updated (hence the required reboot). Secondly, even if there were no Apple code changes, the Build #'s have always changed in past security updates that didn't update so called "Apple code".

Weird.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

dr. zoidberg
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2002, 04:51 PM

wow, i haven�t seen that many asterisks in a single thread here lately... is this some kind of contest? what prize? ****** for free?
"And Zapp Brannigan, your score qualifies you as assistant delivery boy, second class."
"Hmm. I guess I'll have to sleep my way to the top. Kif, wake me when I'm there."

Currawong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by silverghost:

aloha
Hmm, ok, that makes sense! I'll believe anything people who post screenshots say!

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2002, 09:21 PM

10.2.1 (6D42) contents:

./Applications/Mail.app
./System/Library/CFMSupport/._DiscRecordingLib
./System/Library/CFMSupport/DiscRecordingLib
./System/Library/CoreServices
./System/Library/CoreServices/AppleFileServer.app
./System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup.app
./System/Library/CoreServices/SecurityAgentPlugins
./System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app
./System/Library/Extensions
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon8500.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon8500DVDDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon8500GA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon8500GLDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonDVDDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonGA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeonGLDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRage128.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRage128DVDDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRage128GA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRage128GLDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRagePro.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/ATIRageProGA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleAltiVecDVDDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleGMACEthernet.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIDriverUpdate
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/ATIDriverUpdate.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/Contents
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/Contents/Info.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/Contents/version.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/GeForce2MX.ndrv
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/GeForce2MX.ndrv.plist
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/chips65550.ndrv
./System/Library/Extensions/AppleNDRV/control.ndrv
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MX.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MXGA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce2MXGLDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3GA.plugin
./System/Library/Extensions/GeForce3GLDriver.bundle
./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV10Hal.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/NVDANV20Hal.kext
./System/Library/Extensions/NVDAResman.kext
./System/Library/Frameworks
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/ATS
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Info.plist
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/StandardCMaps.rsrc
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SynthDB.rsrc
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Support
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ATS.framework/Versions/A/Support/ATSServer
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources
./System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/CoreGraphics.framework/Versions/A/Resources/libCGATS.A.dylib

Forum Links
Forum Rules