Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther First Impressions

Panther First Impressions (Page 5)
b3b0p
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 09:51 AM

Wow Panther sounds like it will be great! I can't wait.

I have question:

Does Finder still leave a trail of .DS_Store files everywhere you go?

This is truly annoying when mounting remote drives. Of all the features I would like from Apple this is the one I want fixed more then anything. As a sysadmin and web programmer, editing files on the server remotely and having to go back and delete these .DS_Store files is a pain (and uncalled for).

Chris

Richard5mith
Jun 25, 2003, 09:54 AM

Well Panther sounds great. I'm all for some speed.

Now if only Apple would post it on their ADC Seed Download page, I'd actually be able to download it.

It's amazing that people can grab the thing of BitTorrent (or otherwise) before the actual developers.
http://www.allapple.com - all apple, all the time

indy27
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 09:55 AM

hello,

I would like to know, if apple build in finally a font viewing function like adobe type reunion in mac os 9, I mean:
- show fonts in font pop-up windows in their own look
- make font groups, to have all types (italic, bold,...) in a sub-menu.

many thanks in advance!

bye

indy

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:05 AM

For someone with fast user switching set up:

What happens if you start doing a long task (like downloading something big in safari) and then switch users? If you switch back will it have progressed from when you left it or does it just go into hibernation until you switch back?

What happens if you launch that same app under a different user? Is the result different? Does it hibernate now?

kman

P.s. I'm still curious if Address Book has been updated to include sharing of addresses.

P.p.s. Doesn't it seem pretty polished for needing another five months? Jag had all sorts of holes only three months before final. Maybe there are some other really cool features we don't know about, like multiple customizable docks

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by b3b0p:
I don't have any way of testing this right now. Like I said, if someone wants to post a Samba share I can test some stuff out...

And as for your idea indy27, that is actually implemented in this release.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:13 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
P.s. I'm still curious if Address Book has been updated to include sharing of addresses.
What kind of sharing? Between users? Or over the internet?

I don't have multiple users set up, so I can't test that right now. I might be able to after work...

sushiism
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by tRr:
I havn't found a way to turn of brushed metal, in my copy Back is spelled correctly in the finder toolbar.
noo i didnt mean it was mispelt i mean it was placed a bit dodgy, its like half to the right of the buttons too, (the buttons which clearly dont just go back �_�

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by sushiism:
noo i didnt mean it was mispelt i mean it was placed a bit dodgy, its like half to the right of the buttons too, (the buttons which clearly dont just go back �_�
Looks fine to me.

mishap
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by indy27:
hello,

I would like to know, if apple build in finally a font viewing function like adobe type reunion in mac os 9, I mean:
- show fonts in font pop-up windows in their own look
- make font groups, to have all types (italic, bold,...) in a sub-menu.

many thanks in advance!

bye

indy

Think of Adobe Type Manager in a one-window iApp similar to the Address Book and you got Font Book

Double click on a font in the finder to preview it in a new window--where there is an "install font" button

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 10:56 AM

Here's how the font selection screen looks:

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 10:57 AM

So to clarify, is the finder still carbon? Maybe look inside its package and see if you can open up the nibs and change it to aqua.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
For someone with fast user switching set up:

What happens if you start doing a long task (like downloading something big in safari) and then switch users? If you switch back will it have progressed from when you left it or does it just go into hibernation until you switch back?

What happens if you launch that same app under a different user? Is the result different? Does it hibernate now?

kman
Anyone?

stew
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Gee4orce:
Care to re-assess your signature ?
No. 10.2.6 is as slow as before, and it'll take $129 and a few months until I can see if in 10.3 I can finally resize a web browser window at more than 2fps.

Stink different.

Heady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 11:22 AM

This part of a Panther user report at MacBidouille caught my attention:

TextEdit permet d'enregistrer au format .doc de Microsoft Word, et bien s�r d'ouvrir de tels documents. Par contre parmi ceux que j'ai sous la main, la mise en forme n'est pas toujours respect�e.
Which translates to:

TextEdit supports saving in Microsoft Word .doc format, and of course it can also open such documents. However, among those documents I have on hand, page layout isn't always respected.
So TextEdit now has limited support for the Word file format. I'm sure it's very rudimentary, but still, it's a start. Interesting.

Here's the original article for those of you who speak French.

-Heady

Neo.cmg
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 11:24 AM

Originally posted by GnOm:
a few glithces I found:

Preview.app doesn't work for me, builds the thumbnails (fast!) but the main window stays blank (grey)
Cannot set balance on my SoundSticks from the control panel
Volume buttons do not work (yet)
Volume slider in control panel doesn't work either
Can adjust volume from AudioMIDIConfig.app but only for channel 2, either it's mono or channel 1 is at a fix rate

cheers.
I don't have the above problem with Preview. It works wonderfully well. In continuous scrolling mode; however, there are no markers for new pages. My volume controls work from the keyboard and sound control panel for my SoundSticks. I can also adjust the left and right balance in the control panel as well.

I've noticed that DivX previews in the finder are much noticeably faster. The column on the left acts as a shelf, and you can pretty much remove all your toolbar icons. I changed mine to the new default set, and things have worked quite well. I am really appreciating the new Finder application. I was particularly opposed to the brushed metal finish on the Finder, but I've gotten used to it in a short while. It does seem to bring uniformity to the OS and the other Apple applications, rather than having mixed aqua and brushed metal applications from Apple.

In Mail, you can delete attachments in messages without deleting the message itself. Browsing an iDisk is just like browsing my local file system within the new finder. iTunes cpu usage has decreased quite substantially in this release as well. The applications Chess, Disk Copy, Print Center and Clock reverted to Classic Applications and I threw them away. As has been mentioned previously the functions of Disk Copy and Print Center have been replaced.

Overall, this release does seem to me very polished, and I expect that Apple will probably have a finished product in September or October time-frame.

Neo.cmg

bluesloth
Jun 25, 2003, 11:24 AM

It's great that keyboard shortcuts to apps is included.

Question though: can you set up shortcuts to any other things such as applescripts, folders, or control of iTunes without bringing it forward?

I would love to get rid of Key Xing (it's a great program, but the less 3rd party addons the better for me).

Thanks.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
So to clarify, is the finder still carbon? Maybe look inside its package and see if you can open up the nibs and change it to aqua.
Tell me where the package is and I'll do that. I have no idea how to check if it's Cocoa...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Heady:
So TextEdit now has limited support for the Word file format. I'm sure it's very rudimentary, but still, it's a start. Interesting.

Here's the original article for those of you who speak French.

-Heady
And it's true, here's a screenshot:

Haven't tried to load a word document, though.

Heady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 11:37 AM

What do Save and Open dialogs look like when you click the disclosure triangle to shrink it down to "Simple" mode? No need for a screenshot if it's the same as Jaguar, but I'm curious to see whether it has changed.

And has the popup button changed? I'm refering to the button which used to be labelled "Where:" and contain such things as Favorite Places and Recent Places.

Thanks.

-Heady

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 11:46 AM

And

passmaster16
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by b3b0p:

This is truly annoying when mounting remote drives. Of all the features I would like from Apple this is the one I want fixed more then anything. As a sysadmin and web programmer, editing files on the server remotely and having to go back and delete these .DS_Store files is a pain (and uncalled for).
Good question, I'd be interested to know this too. I've submitted feedback to Apple about this. This makes it a tough sell when you have windows file servers. The network admins have an emotional breakdown when they see all these .DS_Store files left on the server. What's worse is you can't see them from the Mac. I didn't know this was happening until I was browsing my file server from my XP box.

I have two additional questions:

When a smb share with a large amount of files is mounted, does the finder choke when trying to scroll through the file list? Jaguar does this all the time. I have a large amount of mp3s on a windows network share. When I attempt to scroll through the directory, the scrolling is extremely slow and sometimes will just lock up totally.

The other question is related to printing. Does 10.3 have the ability to "print selection" a la windows. I know there was some shareware utility that did this but what's so hard about including it in the OS? I hate having to copy/paste into Word just to print a part of a web page.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think if there are some things that were left out/overlooked, we should all send our feedback to Apple as soon as possible so that we may see some of these things rectified by GM or in one of the later updates.

Heady
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2003, 12:19 PM

Wow. They actually brought back the Mac OS 9 popup which shows the path to the current location.

That's a good thing.

Thanks, jokell82.

Now I'm wondering about the popup button in the Simple version of the dialog. That one is labelled "Where:", just like in Jaguar. Does it also act like the Jaguar version (i.e. it displays your favorites and recently used files), or like the one in the expanded dialog?

-Heady

hellmachine
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 12:20 PM

my first downer:
camino don�t work anymore :-(
it just can�t access render any html.
i deleted all prefs etc.
now i have to use netscape for browserchecks.
camino had a smaller footprint...
( Last edited by hellmachine; Jun 25, 2003 at 12:32 PM. )

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Neo.cmg:
My volume controls work from the keyboard and sound control panel for my SoundSticks. I can also adjust the left and right balance in the control panel as well.

thank you, will take a closer look at it later. The only thing that I could think of that could cause ist is the driver for my M-Audio Delta Audio card. Other than that everything is standard.

cheers.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 12:46 PM

Still not fixed the stuttering sound from soundsticks during airport uploads on dual processor machines issue

ambush
Banned
Jun 25, 2003, 01:01 PM

I have a few details, maybe they've been already posted, but I don't feel like reading 4 pages.

The Finder is cocoa (the app is a .app package, the nstoolbar isn't an ugly hack)

Expos� rocks, I'd say it's the best feature. It's very smooth on an emac700

Smooth scrolling seems system-wide

The finder really is nice. Better navigation

AFP shares are improved a lot (especially the connect to server window)

Clicking the finder window's losenge make it become a normal 10.2 finder window

The new toolbar selects with a gray rect

there seems to be a new kind of tab view in the System Prefs

window resizing is smooth

about this mac window type seems to be floating window

sheets are a *lot* faster to hide/show up

TextEdit is prettier

force quit is buggy

** NO MORE SEPARATE APP FOR MOUNTING DMGS!!! ***
( Last edited by ambush; Jun 25, 2003 at 01:11 PM. )

conny
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by jokell82:
What kind of sharing? Between users? Or over the internet?

I don't have multiple users set up, so I can't test that right now. I might be able to after work...
I'm also very interested in this. Share an addressbook between two different users. Right now you have to do some command line hacks to get it to work and it kind of sucks. When you open the addressbook it always sets the current user as the owner and no one else has access to it. So what you have to do is to create a script which sets yourself as the owner of the addressbook when you login.

I would really like to get rid of that workaround.

Quinn
Jun 25, 2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by hellmachine:
my first downer:
camino don�t work anymore :-(
it just can�t access render any html.
Yeah. Thats the main downside to using Panther for me now. Wonder if the Camino guys can make a quick fix...

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 01:09 PM

Can someone with a digial camera PLEASE take a picture of the login panel?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:10 PM

my good and the bad:

good:
- Expos� is ver very cool..
- window scrolling is animated
- samba does not crash under heavy use
- very stable
- system wide user icon: same icon for user, address book and iChat. Altough you can choose different iChat icon if you want (see iChat 2)
- Preview is fast

bad:
- accelerated scrolling with scroll mouse is horrible.. it is a disaster. Not even worth for a very first version of any OS.
- still not very fast GUI as Windows. Although goode enough
- Finder sometimes has doube "Computer" column...
- I got not the feeling the features are worth the money... but going to buy it anyway because I want to stay up to date.
- GUI from 10.2 is better looking... the combination of no-strips and strips is horrible. Also some Apps need GUI updates such as Keynote's Pallet (border)
- I dislike the replacments of tabs (now buttons with fields)

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 01:11 PM

i already posted a picture of the login panel:

conny
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by conny:
Can you select to hide the new left pane in the Finder?
It sounds like you can still put stuff in the toolbar, does this mean that you can hide the left pane and it will work the same way as the Finder works today?
I guess I can answer my own question since I found this screenshot in another thread. The left pane is not hidden but I guess that is a smaller issue.

http://verdens.navle.no/arkiv/images...stomfinder.png

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 01:26 PM

Sexy login, thanks.

Anywho, can ANYONE with a computer without QE support please tell us if Expose still works?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

JLL
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
The Finder is cocoa
No!
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

ambush
Banned
Jun 25, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by JLL:
No!
Well if it's not, they imitate it very well. I'm prett sure it is, because the finder is a .app package.
( Last edited by ambush; Jun 25, 2003 at 02:01 PM. )

calumr
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Anywho, can ANYONE with a computer without QE support please tell us if Expose still works?
I've heard that it does, can't remember where though.

I think I'll go nominate myself for "Most useful post ever" now.

bborofka
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 01:54 PM

Do popup menus created near the bottom of the screen (above the dock) annoyingly show up like this? (This was created by control+clicking on the Report Abuse link)

Or do they show the entire contents of the menu like they should without having to scroll down?

badtz
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 01:55 PM

If you have an animation on a window [let's say you're watching a movie in quickltime] .... and then you use Expose ..... will the animation continue playing in the windows on the screen?

just curious

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 01:57 PM

Originally posted by ambush:

** NO MORE SEPARATE APP FOR MOUNTING DMGS!!! ***
Cool, so the Finder can now mount DMG's?

ambush
Banned
Jun 25, 2003, 01:59 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Cool, so the Finder can now mount DMG's?
Yep, I really like the built it dmg support in the finder. You can eject and mount easily and rapidly.

You'll like it, CheesePuff!

Forum Links
Forum Rules