Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Can't use Gmail on Classic OS? Say it Ain't So!

Can't use Gmail on Classic OS? Say it Ain't So!
gildedpen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2004, 10:17 AM

I got a Gmail invite, but when I tried to log in I got a message that my browser doesn't work work with Gmail:
------
http://gmail.google.com/gmail/browser_requirements.html
We're sorry, but we don't seem to be compatible.

Our software suggests that you're using a browser incompatible with Gmail. Gmail currently supports the following:

* Microsoft IE 5.5 and newer (download: Windows)
* Netscape 7.1 and newer (download: Windows Macintosh Linux )
* Mozilla 1.4 and newer (download: Windows Macintosh Linux )
* Mozilla Firefox 0.8 and newer (download: Windows Macintosh Linux )
* Safari 1.2.1 and newer (download: Macintosh )

While we're still testing Gmail, you can also click here to use your unsupported browser, though you likely will encounter some areas that don't work as expected. You need to have Javascript and cookies enabled, regardless of the browser you use.

We hope to expand this list in the near future and announce new platforms as they become available. In the meantime, you can install one of the supported browsers from the links above. Or you can try again from a different computer in which a supported browser is installed or add your email address to our mailing list for Gmail updates.
-----------

As far as I can tell from their list no browser that works with Classic OS is suitable for Gmail. Is this true?

I tried to use Gmail anyway, but I got this message:
--------
"Gmail requires ActiveX controls to be enabled

Your browser seems to be Internet Explorer, and ActiveX seems to be disabled. Gmail requires ActiveX to be enabled in order to operate.

To use Gmail, enable ActiveX controls in Internet Explorer. You can do this by going to the Tools menu, selecting Internet Options, Security tab, Internet zone, and either select the Default Level, or selecting Custom Level and scrolling down to "Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins" and selecting Enable.

After enabling ActiveX controls, try again."
-------
I followed the instructions (from the Edit preferences menu on IE5) but it still didn't work. I guess Gmail doesn't work with Classic OS?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2004, 01:23 PM

I can access to my gmail account with a SGI, so far no activex thingies on it. I'll check gmail under Mac OS 9.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2004, 03:36 AM

Try downloading Mozilla, even though you won't be able to get a version new enough to be within Gmail's specifications. It's hard living a classic Mac OS life, and it will eventually become intolerable for those who have been able to stomach it this long.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 08:54 AM

Sorry mate, but I am not going to be able to test it under Mac OS 9 maybe until tomorrow, but well, all what I have in mind is to test it with the iCab browser.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Sep 23, 2004, 09:16 AM

May as well give it a shot with Moz 1.2.1 (even though it's not supposed to be new enough to be supported). It probably won't work, but Mozilla is a better browser than IE or Netscape if you're in OS 9 anyway. And try iCab too, although again I doubt iCab's ability to work with it.

Isn't there Opera for OS 9? Try that too, if you can find it.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 03:39 PM

Well, my first try under Mac OS 9 was out of lucky, go to check it further.

gildedpen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
.Isn't there Opera for OS 9? Try that too, if you can find it.
...but I have OS 8.6
--virtual dinosaur

gildedpen  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2004, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
Sorry mate, but I am not going to be able to test it under Mac OS 9 maybe until tomorrow, but well, all what I have in mind is to test it with the iCab browser.
Thanks, but I have OS 8.6. Since I have only 1.3 gig left on hard drive, I'm not sure if I should upgrade just for Gmail. (And we don't even know if it works with OS 9!)

Let me know if you find anything out.
Yes, my G3 is my pet dinosaur.
-H.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2004, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by gildedpen:
Thanks, but I have OS 8.6. Since I have only 1.3 gig left on hard drive, I'm not sure if I should upgrade just for Gmail. (And we don't even know if it works with OS 9!)

Let me know if you find anything out.
Yes, my G3 is my pet dinosaur.
-H.
Until my June G5 upgrade, my main desktop was my venerable 8600/300, running 8.6. So I know exactly where you're coming from. 8.6 was a great OS, perhaps the best release of the classic Mac OS ever. But if you're doing anything remotely important with your Mac, you really are sacrificing a ton of productivity by not upgrading.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Bob Nova
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 08:02 PM

You CAN access GMail with Netscape 7.02, which might be the last one they ever made for OS9.

It's actually not bad compared to some of their other stuff, like the 6.X ones. But you shuld double it's RAM allocation first.

When you go to GMail and try to log in, it will say" your browser isnt supported", but just click on the link that says "Try anyway?"

It works !

Forum Links
Forum Rules