Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein

The Casting Couch Takes Pity on the Potted Plant: Weinstein (Page 7)
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 28, 2017, 03:24 PM

More pajama time in the future?
https://www.democraticleader.gov/newsroom/112717-2/
Washington, D.C. – Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi released this statement after speaking with Ms. Melanie Sloan this afternoon:

“This afternoon, I spoke with Melanie Sloan who worked for Congressman Conyers on the Judiciary Committee in the mid-1990s. Ms. Sloan told me that she had publicly discussed distressing experiences while on his staff. I find the behavior Ms. Sloan described unacceptable and disappointing. I believe what Ms. Sloan has told me.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2017, 03:29 PM

“Ethics expert and attorney”.

Yeah, umm... not the person you want to harass.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 28, 2017, 03:42 PM

Pelosi obviously doing damage control after stepping in it Sunday

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2017, 11:17 AM

Lauer is gone.
https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ha...onduct-n824831
Matt Lauer, the anchor of "Today" for two decades, was fired by NBC News after a detailed complaint about inappropriate sexual behavior in the workplace.
45/47

andi*pandi
Nov 29, 2017, 11:41 AM

NBC no tolerance zone, it appears. Unlike Alabama.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2017, 11:59 AM

or Arkansas.
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2017, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
or Arkansas.
Did you just deflect so hard you took us back thirty years?

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2017, 12:13 PM

It’s Hot Springs Time Machine.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 29, 2017, 12:52 PM

Lauer is gone.

Ha ha!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2017, 03:09 PM

BTW, Moore is toast.
Recent polls show Moore having regained his pre-allegation lead. What do you think should be done if he wins? If you were an Alabaman, would you vote for him?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Recent polls show Moore having regained his pre-allegation lead. What do you think should be done if he wins? If you were an Alabaman, would you vote for him?
Something something Bill Clinton!!

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2017, 04:19 PM

Did you just deflect so hard you took us back thirty years?
How about two weeks?
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/o...l-clinton.html
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 29, 2017, 04:20 PM

45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2017, 04:45 PM

The sexual harassment incidents were also not below average

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Nov 29, 2017, 04:47 PM

What's the fresh news here?

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 29, 2017, 05:12 PM

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 1, 2017, 11:45 PM

Looks like Singer’s out of runway.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Dec 2, 2017, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
There's one uncomfortable looking man right there.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2017, 01:23 PM

Prediction: Franken will go down, and Democrats will get into a slapfight with themselves over it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2017, 02:21 PM

I'm not sure how you mean but no one lost money betting on democrats shooting themselves in the foot

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2017, 02:32 PM

The realpolitik faction arguing with the morals faction.

I could be wrong though. The realpolitik side seemed strong two days ago, but now I feel like everybody’s flipped.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 6, 2017, 02:42 PM

Someone on twitter made a shrewd observation. This has taken place after the tax vote but before the AL election.

I think the AL election is less important but the timing of another accusation coming after he's outlived his usefulness might be spot on.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2017, 06:17 PM

Down. Goes. Franken.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 6, 2017, 09:34 PM

So, I take a nap, and wake up to hear Franken isn’t resigning.

Which means he goes “fake news” on a dozen outfits, and then resigns anyways in a week.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2017, 12:13 AM

Is it too late for him to run in Alabama?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2017, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
So, I take a nap, and wake up to hear Franken isn’t resigning.

Which means he goes “fake news” on a dozen outfits, and then resigns anyways in a week.
Sounds like the guy likes to grab ass while posing for photos.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...me-too/547691/

Quit already.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 01:18 PM

As luck would have it...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 01:19 PM

To me it looks like he's leaving the door open to not resign if things go quiet for a few weeks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 01:22 PM

Sounds like the guy likes to grab ass while posing for photos.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...me-too/547691/

Quit already.
I know it’s academic now, but did I miss the ass grab? Wasn’t this a waist grab?

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 01:23 PM

To me it looks like he's leaving the door open to not resign if things go quiet for a few weeks.
Something, something, bold strategy Cotton.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2017, 01:29 PM

I know it’s academic now, but did I miss the ass grab? Wasn’t this a waist grab?
Yeah, sounds like he grabbed the author's waist. That's an invasion of personal space for sure, but I wouldn't characterize it as sexual harassment. I suppose she didn't like the squeezing?

But there are more accounts mentioned later:

In the days that followed Tweeden’s account, Lindsay Menz told CNN that Franken had groped her when she asked him to pose for a photo in 2010 at the Minnesota State Fair. “As my husband took the picture, he put his hand full-fledged on my rear," Menz said. "It was wrapped tightly around my butt cheek.” Another woman told HuffPost that she had posed for a picture with Franken in 2007, at a Minnesota Women’s Political Caucus event. “He grabbed my buttocks during a photo op,” she said. A third said she introduced herself to Franken at a 2007 event. “I shook his hand, and he put his arm around my waist and held it there,” she told HuffPost. “Then he moved it lower and cupped my butt.” Stephanie Kemplin, an army veteran, posed for a photo with Franken while he was on a USO tour in 2003. “When he put his arm around me, he groped my right breast,” she told CNN. “He kept his hand all the way over on my breast.” And on Wednesday, a former Democratic aide told Politico Franken had tried to forcibly kiss her when she appeared on his radio show in 2006.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 01:39 PM

Yeah grabbing a hunk of waist is weird but not harassment. Might be indicative of boundary issues though.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 01:40 PM

Something, something, bold strategy Cotton.
I haven't seen his remarks yet but twitter made it sound like he was pulling the old 'I did nothing wrong but I resign.' In that context the strategy makes sense.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 01:57 PM

Yeah grabbing a hunk of waist is weird but not harassment. Might be indicative of boundary issues though.
Rhodes saying “he’s a lip kisser” certainly indicates some boundary issues.

Likewise, I have zero trouble believing he uses his comic chops to be mean and petty to people. That accusation from the article clicked immediately.

The closer was also very powerful, but I can’t help but note the three most resonant things about the article had nothing to do with Franken sexually harassing the author.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 02:19 PM

I haven't seen his remarks yet but twitter made it sound like he was pulling the old 'I did nothing wrong but I resign.' In that context the strategy makes sense.
The main “I’ve done nothing wrong” moment was him repeating how he recalls everything about everything differently.

His “you’re equivocating aren’t you” moment was saying he never did anything as a senator to bring dishonor upon the Senate.

Side question... what’s the style guide when it comes to capitalizing titles? Should “senator” be capitalized? How’s about “president” when it’s on it’s own? I figure with a name (ex-Senator Franken, President Trump) it’s supposed to be capitalized.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 7, 2017, 02:33 PM

Rhodes saying “he’s a lip kisser” certainly indicates some boundary issues.

Likewise, I have zero trouble believing he uses his comic chops to be mean and petty to people. That accusation from the article clicked immediately.

The closer was also very powerful, but I can’t help but note the three most resonant things about the article had nothing to do with Franken sexually harassing the author.
I was talking in the abstract.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2017, 03:06 PM

Obvious political calculus: Franken may have been able to save himself if he had gotten himself in front of it as soon as the Tweeden story dropped.

Why didn’t he do that? The best answer I have is he doesn’t realize he has all these boundary issues.

P
Dec 8, 2017, 05:12 AM

Obvious political calculus: Franken may have been able to save himself if he had gotten himself in front of it as soon as the Tweeden story dropped.

Why didn’t he do that? The best answer I have is he doesn’t realize he has all these boundary issues.
The Tweeden story is weird. That he apparently has wandering hands is not OK, but that was a posed picture and some disagreement about rehearsing a comedy act - he probably decided to just ride it out, and that would have been OK if that is all it had been. Does he really not know that he does this?

Conspiracy theory alert: Tweeden knew about all the other stories and went public with her own, mild, story as a way to get other women to come forward.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Dec 8, 2017, 05:21 AM

@P
Franken made a comment in his early reactions to Tweeden's revelations, he said “he hopes this is the last one.” Maybe I am reading tea leaves here, but that sounds to me that he thought more women may come forward.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2017, 11:11 AM

Franken has not resigned.
"I am announcing that in the coming weeks I will be resigning as a member of the United States Senate,"
Until he submits his letter stating "effect ....." he hasn't resigned.
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2017, 11:53 AM

Is he still trying to ride it out, hoping that something else catches peoples' attention and they forget about him?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2017, 11:58 AM

Franken.
Hey chongo, polls show Moore having regained his pre-allegation lead. What do you think should be done if he wins? If you were an Alabaman, would you vote for him?

Is he still trying to ride it out, hoping that something else catches peoples' attention and they forget about him?
It's either that or he plans to use Roy Moore or Trump as an excuse not to leave.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2017, 07:13 PM

This dude would easily be a member of the Republic of Gilead regime in The Handmaid's Tale.

Arizona Rep. Trent Franks allegedly made unwanted advances toward female staffers in his office and retaliated against one who rebuffed him, according to House GOP sources with knowledge of a complaint against him.

The allegations, which reached Speaker Paul Ryan and top GOP leaders in recent days, led to Franks' sudden resignation this week. Franks originally announced that he would resign on Jan. 31, 2018. But just hours after POLITICO inquired about the allegations, he sped up his resignation and left office Friday.

The sources said Franks approached two female staffers about acting as a potential surrogate for him and his wife, who has struggled with fertility issues for years. But the aides were concerned that Franks was asking to have sexual relations with them. It was not clear to the women whether he was asking about impregnating the women through sexual intercourse or in vitro fertilization. Franks opposes abortion rights as well as procedures that discard embryos.

A former staffer also alleged that Franks tried to persuade a female aide that they were in love by having her read an article that described how a person knows they’re in love with someone, the sources said. One woman believed she was the subject of retribution after rebuffing Franks. While she enjoyed access to the congressman before the incident, that access was revoked afterward, she told Republican leaders.

Franks denied all of the allegations through a spokesperson on Friday. In a statement Thursday, Franks acknowledged discussing surrogacy with his staffers and apologized for making them feel uncomfortable. But he said he “absolutely never physically intimidated, coerced, or had, or attempted to have, any sexual contact with any member of my congressional staff."

Also on Friday, the Associated Press reported that Franks offered to pay an aide $5 million to carry his child and pressured her relentlessly on the matter.

New details about the controversy surrounding Franks come as sexual harassment allegations have engulfed Capitol Hill. Franks became the third lawmaker this week alone to announce that he will step down after being accused of sexual misconduct, following Rep. John Conyers (D-Mich.) and Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.).

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) personally hastened Franks' departure, which the congressman said would be in late January but which on Friday he said would take effect immediately. Two weeks ago, a person contacted Ryan’s general counsel about “troubling” behavior by Franks directed at a former staffer. Ryan’s staff then reached out to the former staffer to verify the information in an interview conducted last week.

The staffer told her story and detailed alleged misconduct by Franks about another staffer, which a third party aware of the situation verified.

Ryan was briefed on the matter, then asked Franks to resign.
Female aides fretted Franks wanted to have sex to impregnate them | Politico.com

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 8, 2017, 11:13 PM

I'm impressed Paul Ryan blew the dust off his spine for this.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2017, 11:56 AM

Should this actually go to trial, it should be interesting to say the least.
"We look forward to litigating against Charlie Sheen, and can’t wait to expose his depravities in a court of law," an AMI spokesperson told THR.
Charlie Sheen Sues National Enquirer for Defamation Over Corey Haim Allegation

Meanwhile the previously claimed non existing Feldman audio tape has been found.
Corey Feldman's 1993 report of sexual assault found in Santa Barbara sheriff's office
He claimed he told his story to detectives in Santa Barbara County — and named names — in 1993, but they weren't interested. Feldman says they were busy investigating pop icon Michael Jackson for alleged child sexual abuse on his nearby Neverland Ranch (Jackson was acquitted of charges in 2005 and died in 2009).

More recently, the sheriff's office said they didn’t have any record of Feldman naming a suspect in his allegation that he was sexually assaulted. Now the story has changed.

The sheriff's spokeswoman, Kelly Hoover, issued a statement to USA TODAY Wednesday confirming the sheriff's office had just found an audio recording of a 1993 interview of Feldman by detectives and has turned it over to the Los Angeles Police Department.
45/47

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2017, 12:33 PM

I used to be totally ‘mo for him.

I have horrible taste in men.

Well... at least the worst you can say about Brendan is he’s gotten puffy.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2017, 04:03 PM

Down. Goes. Malto. Malto. Malto. Mario.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 11, 2017, 07:43 PM

Former White House Communications Director Anthony Scaramucci ©2017 Getty Images

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2017, 08:01 PM

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 11, 2017, 08:13 PM

I can't wait to hear GOP on the senators on why this shouldn't happen. Bonus points of they don't use the SHS talking point that somehow getting elected settles the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules