Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Move a motorbike in the U.S.? How?

Move a motorbike in the U.S.? How?
Powerbook
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 07:36 PM

Hello!

I'm thinking about buying a motorbike from ebaymotors.com and importing it to the Netherlands (cheaper than Germany). I'd need a reliable moving service to get the bike e.g. from Kansas City to the east coast (e.g. Newark NJ).

I was at first thinking about a U-Box from U-Haul, but at least in Newark they don't offer U-Boxes to drop off.

Any advice, praise or ridicule

Thanks you!
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2009, 07:44 PM

Buy me a plane tix from Denver to KC and a plane tix from NJ back to Denver, give me a few hundred $ to offset my time and pay for gas, beer and food and I'll ride it there for you.
Wait... what kind of momo is it? I don't want to be riding a HD 883 from KC to NJ... think of the humiliation!
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2009, 10:35 PM

Federal Motorcycle Transport Service. A buddy of mine used them when he bought a bike on ebay. It's Allied Van Lines, so it's an established company for whatever that's worth. Probably cost you $500 or $600, but that's a guess. Anyway, he had zero complaints about the service.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Federal Motorcycle Transport Service. A buddy of mine used them when he bought a bike on ebay. It's Allied Van Lines, so it's an established company for whatever that's worth. Probably cost you $500 or $600, but that's a guess. Anyway, he had zero complaints about the service.
Thanks, I got a quote, some 590 $.
The point is, my quote for the actual exporting-importing is $ 400 including customs, I really can't believe I'd have to pay more money than that for just the US side transport?

Regards
PB.
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 06:27 AM

Why not just buy from a European seller, out of curiosity?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 06:39 AM

Unless this is some US-only model or a seriously rare machine, I'd just buy it in Europe. I don't think you're taking all the expenses into account - I mean, you quote $400 export/import... ...I've had guitars from the US which cost that much to ship/import (and I assure you, a guitar is considerably lighter and easier to ship than a motorbike!).
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 04:08 PM

Hi folks, it's actually a British bike, a 2007 Triumph Triple. Only a few thousand miles on the clock and in very good shape and no customizing whatsoever! Very fair price, when converted to Euros.

Doofy, both the USD and the Pound are rather weak to the Euro at the moment, when you do transactions USD->Pound it's not obvious, of course.

I could also get those bikes from Britain, but - so far - not in the same shape/price. I guess I could save on transportation costs though. Maybe even custom fees, because Britain = EU?

Oh, what to do, what to do...
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Hi folks, it's actually a British bike, a 2007 Triumph Triple. Only a few thousand miles on the clock and in very good shape and no customizing whatsoever! Very fair price, when converted to Euros.

Doofy, both the USD and the Pound are rather weak to the Euro at the moment, when you do transactions USD->Pound it's not obvious, of course.

I could also get those bikes from Britain, but - so far - not in the same shape/price. I guess I could save on transportation costs though. Maybe even custom fees, because Britain = EU?
Yeah, no customs fees if you buy it from here. About 25% if you get it from the US (IIRC).

Triumph : Immaculate 1050 Triumph Speed Triple - 2007

?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2009, 04:38 PM

Check here for German customs:

EZT-online

Don't forget to add 19% VAT.

Powerbook  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Yeah, no customs fees if you buy it from here. About 25% if you get it from the US (IIRC).

Triumph : Immaculate 1050 Triumph Speed Triple - 2007

?
That price is surely okay for such a bike. The converted US price is nearly 2600 Euros below though...
Aut Caesar aut nihil.

Daysha
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2009, 08:01 PM

I read your note about using U-Haul U-Box...when do you want to ship the motorbike to Newark, NJ? The U-Box location there should be open by mid July. You can shoot me an email if you want to discuss using U-Box, I'd love to find a way to help you out [email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules