Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple 'Retail Anniversary' Event

Apple 'Retail Anniversary' Event (Page 2)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
I think consumers' purchases of electronics are well researched, even though they still buy what we take to be junk. Go figure.
So why did you buy a Galaxy Tab?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Ridiculous comparison, IMO.
OK then.

Windows 2000 > OS X 10.1

…and 10.1 came out 1.5 years later. I only picked 10.0 because it came out only 1 year later than Win 2000.

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Well, just because they may be better doesn't mean they're adequate. It's like saying spit is better lube than sand, but neither really gets the job done.
At least it's not a car analogy…

I thought XP was "adequate". It got the job done, at least for a few years. However, by the time 2005 rolled around, XP seemed pretty long in the tooth.

2005 was when 10.4 came out. However, I think OS X really came into its own with 10.5 (2007). Mature OS and very sleek. Its competition, Windows Vista, sucked donkeys' balls.
( Last edited by Eug; May 20, 2011 at 10:56 PM. )

freudling
Banned
May 20, 2011, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
None of your gosh darned business.
( Last edited by Thorzdad; May 21, 2011 at 06:39 AM. Reason: Lack of eloquence)

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 10:57 PM

XP... Grrr...
*crash*
*crash*
*swear*
[reboot]
[reinstall video drivers]
*crash*
[hardware diagnostics check okay]
[reinstall OS]
*crash*
*swear*
[find out that new ATA driver doesn't work with nvidia GPU driver, and ATA driver was automatically updated without your knowledge]
[roll back ATA driver]
[realize you just wasted 8 hours]
[swear at Bill and Co and pray for their painful deaths]
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
None of your fu**ing business.
How sweet.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2011, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Stop pissing in that wound.

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2011, 06:02 AM

I chose 8.6 over Win 3.1, 95, 98 and NT4 all of which I was forced to use occasionally at the time. Hands down better. OS 9 was better again. All those versions of Windows were ugly and annoying, more so when under the authority of a sysadmin.

Comparing Win2K to 10.0 is silly since 2K was built on everything previous and 10.0 was a completely new beast with a whole lot of issues. They both sucked balls for stability but 10.0 still made 2K look out of date.
XP now with all the service packs is probably a more robust OS than 10.1 but at the time it wasn't. XP is still the favourite OS of most business users because its old enough to have had the kinks ironed out. Its still very irritating to use due to all the warning balloons, security panics and genuine advantage crap you have to put up with and it still breaks more often than any Mac OS going back to Tiger, possibly Panther and maybe even Jaguar (with all the updates).

Vista is torture. It should be against some kind of law. Or the Geneva Convention.

Win 7 is more stable but still has most of the annoyances of Vista and even more of that genuine advantage pain in the ass. And while its interface has had a much more recent overhaul, its still not as pleasant to look at as a Mac. It also has a million different versions with no discernible differences between them for most users. Like I say, it may be adequate, but I don't want adequate. I want good. I want something I can use all day without wanting to throw it across a room. At Bill Gates' head. Windows will never be that because Microsoft doesn't even aim for good. It aims for adequate. By its own admission.

I also don't see why my last post was closed minded. I said 95% of users, not 100%. Still leaves room for plenty of people who don't fit into my categories. I also didn't apply those categories to full blown operating systems. I think they'd be a bit different for computers than they are for phones.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2011, 06:05 AM

I'm going to keep ranting a bit more:

There was a time when hooking up XP to broadband would get it infected within 5 minutes. I saw it happen a few times. I actually think that people have forgotten how bad XP was in the light of the Vista debacle. XP has been fixed now but early versions were quite dreadful.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 07:42 AM

Heh. You're actually arguing that OS 9 was a good OS... Hmmm...

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2011, 10:30 AM

Well, this is the weekend I was going to finally buy a iPad 2.
I can't find one to buy. Apple online store (1 to 2 weeks), Bestbuy and Walmart (both, out of stock).

I hope it wasn't because of the end of days, today ?
(Still here and I want an iPad 2 dammit)

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2011, 12:07 PM

OS 9 was fine at the time. Better than Windows.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2011, 10:17 PM

I went from 8.6 to 9.1, it was awesome.
- Thomas Paine

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 06:23 AM

I don't understand how this thread went from discussing Apple's retail anniversary, to Android tablets and why they should arguably be of concern to Apple, to classic Windows and classic Mac OS experiences. I'm thoroughly confused by the whole thing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 22, 2011, 10:04 AM

^^^ same here. The new stores are open in Australia http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...australia.html

iPad price and info displays that can call over a member of staff to you.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 12:06 PM

That's it ? Ok, I guess I refrain from the pilgrimage then...

-t

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2011, 04:06 PM

Have a long conversation with a group of your friends. Note your starting topic and see where you end up an hour or two later. I recall one such discussion that went from bra sizes to a theory of tectonic plate movement.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2011, 04:36 PM

Bra size to moving the foundations of the earth is two very short steps. One sentence, if properly done.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
May 23, 2011, 08:36 AM

So have we all come to the same conclusion that the Apple store 2.0 update was a little "meh".

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 23, 2011, 08:50 AM

Well another thing I've picked up today is that the previously USA only iPhone Apple Store app is now available here and presumably across Europe. Had a quick look at it this morning and I like it, the reviews and Q&As are in there with the product pages for each thing. I know this app is old news to America, but I like it.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
So have we all come to the same conclusion that the Apple store 2.0 update was a little "meh".
It was just another excuse for nerd Bloggers to make wild, grandiose speculations and obtain hits to their sites.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2011, 12:44 PM

Yup... it was never Apple who made a huge deal out of this. It was all the rumor sites and tech blogs.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Still waiting for the native iPad version...
- Thomas Paine

freudling
Banned
May 23, 2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Well another thing I've picked up today is that the previously USA only iPhone Apple Store app is now available here and presumably across Europe. Had a quick look at it this morning and I like it, the reviews and Q&As are in there with the product pages for each thing. I know this app is old news to America, but I like it.
Strange. Can't get that App in the Canada iTunes Store. Says you must be in the US Store. Anyone else?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2011, 05:23 PM

I don't think it's available for Android.

::runslikethedeviltohidebehindthesofa::

Forum Links
Forum Rules