Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wish me luck tomorrow at the bank.

Wish me luck tomorrow at the bank.
brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 01:18 AM

As it turns out, I'm a victim of this.

Twice in three years is not cool.

I only made ONE of these transactions

As a teacher, all my money is needed for bills, food, ect. I don't need to deal with this.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 01:28 AM

You're saying only one of those many listed charges is valid? Wow. How did that possibly happen?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

reader50
Administrator
Jul 20, 2011, 01:37 AM

BofA waited a year to inform customers, and still won't give details, like who leaked the data?

Get your money reimbursed. Then run, don't walk, to another bank.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 01:38 AM

About four years ago when I had a checking account with Bank of America, I had to deal with a fraudulent charge. They were real dicks about it, they said my whole account would have to be shut down for over a week if I wanted to contest the charges.

Good luck.

bstone
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 01:39 AM

Your first mistake is using a checkcard for anything. The protection offered is tiny and the headache involved is huge. I have never used my checkcard for anything other than ATM withdrawls. No purchases, ever.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

He's dead Jim
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 20, 2011, 03:57 AM

I like this story about BofA. Couldn't happen to a nicer bank.

Homeowner Forecloses On Bank of America
‪Homeowner Forecloses On Bank of America‬‏ - YouTube

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2011, 07:00 AM

I use a credit card online. My check card is more and more likely to be either swiped by me personally, or while I watch, as I've had my card mis-handled (though fortunately not abused) in restaurants.

Sorry about your problems, and I hope you find a better way to pay for online transactions so this doesn't happen again.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Your first mistake is using a checkcard for anything. The protection offered is tiny and the headache involved is huge. I have never used my checkcard for anything other than ATM withdrawls. No purchases, ever.
Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I use a credit card online. My check card is more and more likely to be either swiped by me personally, or while I watch, as I've had my card mis-handled (though fortunately not abused) in restaurants.
Would you guys mind READING the link the OP provided, which implies that this had NOTHING to do with using a check card.

TIA.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 08:25 AM

BoA is a scumbag bank.

I've been reluctant to change away, partially because it's convenient being able to transfer money instantaneously to other BoA customers. But I never keep large amounts of money there.

Sooner or later, I'm going to switch.

-t

andi*pandi
Jul 20, 2011, 08:44 AM

Totally sucks. Good luck!

Rumor
Jul 20, 2011, 12:36 PM

Drop BOA and go with a small local bank. The one I use is great, tellers know you by name and are friendly, ATM fees are given back, checking is free, etc.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 12:56 PM

Unfortunately, many small banks or credit unions have horrible bill pay websites, and don't work well with major finance software.

-t

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 04:25 PM

Instead of going to the a physical bank, I called BoA's California Online Fraud reporting number *(1.800.792.0808)

Step one
was me waiting through a press a number reply list. When none of the options worked, it told me to hold for a rep.
5 minutes of holding got me to someone reading an instruction manual asking for personal information, ect. He couldn't do anything because he didn't have the authority, so he "transfers" me.

step 2
The original press a number reply thing pops up. Another 5 minutes of waiting. A lady with a very heavy accent picks up. After asking me the same questions that the first guy did, she said that she couldn't help me. I asked for a manager, her reply "I am the manager for this branch." me "okay transfer me to someone that can actually help me with my problem that your bank caused." She got all irate claiming how it wasn't the banks fault, and that I must have allowed someone access to my card info. I started reading her the news article that I linked to in my original post.

She fell silent, and said that she'll transfer me again.

step 3
Another 5 minutes of holding and on pops another guy, (apparently the boss of all bosses) asks me all the same questions, I explained to him what was going on ect. and after 10 minutes of talking to him, things got squared away.

Since one of the above transactions went from pending to approved, he issued me a credit for the $49.99 which should be in there tomorrow.
Silly thing is, the other transactions, since they're still pending, need to actually go through first before they can credit me the money since it's technically still in my account.

They'll be sending me a new card.

edit:
heh, right after I posted the update, I get an automator call from BoA saying that they've detected possible fraud charges made on my account and to call them

*customer service number, don't use.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jul 22, 2011 at 03:19 PM. )

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 04:27 PM

They didn't shut it down automatically? Time for a new bank. I've had my card stolen three times, yet every time my bank caught it within hours.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 04:29 PM

I asked them about it, and they said that since they value my membership, that they want me to have access to MY money, so now they're not going to allow any online transactions to occur with my current card number, and only allow ATM with drawls on the my current card until the new card comes in the mail, and I activate it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 06:35 PM

You have a membership with BoA ?

-t

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 06:39 PM

Do you get fraud protection with check cards? Don't think you are protected against fraud for using a debit card.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
Do you get fraud protection with check cards? Don't think you are protected against fraud for using a debit card.
Mine is.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 20, 2011, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Would you guys mind READING the link the OP provided, which implies that this had NOTHING to do with using a check card.

TIA.

-t
The inconvenience factor involved having your checking account hosed up is the reason I mentioned using a credit card for online transactions. That has everything to do with it being a check card. Unless you go out of your way to link a credit card to a checking account, using that card online and perhaps being the victim of online fraud is a LOT less of an issue.

One would have had to be loving under a rock to have missed the extensive coverage of BoA's data breach, and the lengthy pause between its discovery and notice being given to customers.

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011, 07:37 PM

or in this case... a shell!

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 08:12 PM

This might be coincidental, but I can't access my online banking pages anymore. It keeps saying that the pages have been reset and to check my settings.

The pages loaded fine earlier when I was on the phone with them.

edit:
doesn't work in firefox, but does work in safari
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jul 20, 2011 at 08:18 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 08:30 PM

The inconvenience factor involved having your checking account hosed up is the reason I mentioned using a credit card for online transactions. That has everything to do with it being a check card. Unless you go out of your way to link a credit card to a checking account, using that card online and perhaps being the victim of online fraud is a LOT less of an issue.

One would have had to be loving under a rock to have missed the extensive coverage of BoA's data breach, and the lengthy pause between its discovery and notice being given to customers.
It's a moot point as long as you can't have your pay check deposited on a credit card account.

You need checking at the minimum for that, and for paying credit card bills.
Therefore, credit card or debit card use (or not) is not relevant in this case.

-t

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 20, 2011, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
Ah, the peanut gallery. Enjoy stumblin' along your life.

-t

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by stumblinmike View Post
In case you hadn't noticed, there's a new, super cool Turtle in MacNN...no offense intended to the fresh faced recruit Turtle...

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 10:40 PM

So, are you mucking up my thread with a reply to yourself, or to someone else?

stumblinmike
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 20, 2011, 10:50 PM

sorry, no disrespect intended to you or your thread...best of luck at the bank tomorrow!

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 21, 2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
It's a moot point as long as you can't have your pay check deposited on a credit card account.

You need checking at the minimum for that, and for paying credit card bills.
Therefore, credit card or debit card use (or not) is not relevant in this case.

-t
I disagree. A hosed up checking account locks up money you have, not a bill you have to pay. This is the core difference between the two different kinds of cards. Having someone take your money is significantly different from having them falsely attribute a transaction to you. I think this is one reason credit card companies offer so many protections to their customers: fraudulent credit transactions are messing with the bank's money, not yours.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 02:12 PM

screw BoA and their promises to not allow anymore online transactions. Another $125.00 was just used for online purchases >(

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2011, 02:22 PM

I disagree. A hosed up checking account locks up money you have, not a bill you have to pay. This is the core difference between the two different kinds of cards. Having someone take your money is significantly different from having them falsely attribute a transaction to you. I think this is one reason credit card companies offer so many protections to their customers: fraudulent credit transactions are messing with the bank's money, not yours.
Uhm, SERIOUSLY ?

How do you PAY your bills if your money is TAKEN out of your account ?
You DO understand that those "falsely attributed transactions" reduce the amount of money available in your account for online bill pay ? Do you ? For all intents and purposes, in the short run, it's none different than if someone had "taken your money".

I still don't get how you got on this whole debit vs. credit card train, since it has nothing to do with Brass' problem.

-t

andi*pandi
Jul 21, 2011, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
screw BoA and their promises to not allow anymore online transactions. Another $125.00 was just used for online purchases >(
etc etc!

reader50
Administrator
Jul 21, 2011, 05:39 PM

Have you opened an account at another bank yet? I wouldn't put another dime into BofA, and would pull the dough as quick as they restore it. A bank is supposed to be secure. When they're giving your money away, it's time to go.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2011, 06:57 PM

Any bank recommendations?

BlueApple1305
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 21, 2011, 07:01 PM

Id go with a smaller bank or a credit union. Ive worked for Chase and other big banks and honestly, small banking is the way to go.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2011, 09:22 PM

I haven't had any problems that required BoA's help yet, but I can definitely sing the praises of Chase's credit card services. Both of my Chase Visas were stolen earlier in the year while I was traveling abroad and over $1300 was charged to them within about 12 hours.

After I figured out what was going on, I called Chase they cancelled both cards, removed the transactions from my live balance and within a few hours had removed them entirely and permanently. The extent of the aftermath was that I needed to sign some forms declaring which charges were indeed fraudulent.

Not only were they quick to take care of everything, but they were ridiculously quick to answer the phone when I called and extremely courteous as we spoke.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Tee
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 22, 2011, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
In the U.S., "Regulation E" mandates that if the victim notifies the bank within 2 days, the most they can lose is $50 - if the victim waits longer than 2 days they can lose $500.

Section 205.3 (v) indicates that debit card transaction are specifically included in this protection.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 01:38 PM

and another $50

I'm tempted to go down to the bank today and take out the rest of my money.

They also haven't reimbursed me (besides the original $49.99) like they said they would (which is now close to $300) ; they're also allowing online transactions which is opposite of what they guaranteed.

Who would like to call the number in the charge description above?

edit: this should be fun. calling them now.

edit: The guy gave me an e-mail address so that my bank can contact them. Due to "security liabilities to their customers, they can't give out customer information unless you're a police officer."

[email protected]

edit:
calling BoA again
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jul 22, 2011 at 01:54 PM. )

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 02:05 PM

ho hum "your account security is important to us." currently on hold with BoA

*pissed off face*

"Hi, I need to transfer you. You actually called the wrong department."
"Okay"

click click, "sorry we can not complete your request, please try your call again later"

fuuu

edit:
back on hold

So the boss of bosses guy I talked to on the 20th forgot to close my old account after I activated the new card that I got yesterday. I talked to another guy who just now closed the account, he said that he'd transfer me to his boss to rectify the other charges, and get them back into my account. I asked him if it'll be a direct human connection and not a touchtone, he said that he'd connect me directly to his bosses number.... guess what... touch tone... then

sorry our services are currently being worked on, please call back later.

edit:
and yet another person who has no idea what they're doing. It'd be nice if they set it up so that people can contact ONE rep that knows what's going on.

I've had to repeat my information to close to 10 people now.

currently on hold for yet another manager.
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jul 22, 2011 at 02:38 PM. )

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 02:36 PM

Oh goodie

"due to your time of call, only one of the managers is currently in the building, your wait will be a bit longer than usual."

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 02:49 PM

after talking to this manager, he couldn't help me, so another transfer, lets see how this goes. on hold.

edit:

I've been dealing with this since 10:30AM, it's almost noon. wtf

okay, I'm changing banks. still on hold.

edit:
still on hold. it's now noon
( Last edited by brassplayersrock²; Jul 22, 2011 at 03:00 PM. )

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:04 PM

Patently f*cked up.

I should switch as a preemptive strike.

-t

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 03:06 PM

oh lookie:
While I've been on hold, someone has been covering up their mess.

Now the processing charges have been erased, and the balance back in, and I've been reimbursed for another $32.02

fuuu, I should kept an eye on the amount before all this and after, to make sure that I got all of my money back.

brassplayersrock²  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2011, 03:20 PM

So, the number that I was just given for a direct line to the BoA fraud department in 1-800-380-7751

It looks as if everything has been taken care of. My old card number has been closed now, and that's not a problem since I have my new card.

I'm still going to be switching banks.
With at least 5 hours total on phone time, and close to 15 reps which included 4 managers; my mind has been made up.

reader50
Administrator
Jul 22, 2011, 03:57 PM

You might submit it to the get human database, assuming it does go to a person. I bookmarked them a long time ago for reaching human contacts at companies.

Forum Links
Forum Rules