Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Battery life: G4 vs G3 iBook?

Battery life: G4 vs G3 iBook?
jclarkv
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 02:26 PM

Does any one know if there's information out there about battery life in the G3 vs. the G4 iBook?

pat++
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2004, 04:36 PM

Officially, Apple says 5 hours for G3 iBook and 6 hours for G4 iBook. Not sure how it translates in real life, but battery life on G4 iBook should be at least as good as the G3 model.

btw, do a search on battery life, i'm sure you'll find a lot of threads dealing with the subject.

m_young
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 05:08 PM

I know I get 3-4.5 hours out of my battery, just depending on what i'm doing. Don't they use the same battery for the G3s and G4's now? I remeber reading that somewhere.

jclarkv  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2004, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Officially, Apple says 5 hours for G3 iBook and 6 hours for G4 iBook. Not sure how it translates in real life, but battery life on G4 iBook should be at least as good as the G3 model.

btw, do a search on battery life, i'm sure you'll find a lot of threads dealing with the subject.
I did a search, but found nothing specifically addressing the issue of G3 vs G4 iBooks with regard to battery life.

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Jan 10, 2004, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by m_young:
I know I get 3-4.5 hours out of my battery, just depending on what i'm doing. Don't they use the same battery for the G3s and G4's now? I remeber reading that somewhere.

It looks like they use the same battery but it doesn't quite fit. A friend of mine has a 14"G3 600 model and I was unable to sit his battery into my 14" G4 iBook. The same goes for him when he tried to use my battery.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by CeRtiFiedSkitZo:
It looks like they use the same battery but it doesn't quite fit. A friend of mine has a 14"G3 600 model and I was unable to sit his battery into my 14" G4 iBook. The same goes for him when he tried to use my battery.
I just bought a new battery for my 600MHz iBook. The box simply said 12" Dual USB iBook Battery (or something like that). No differentiation between G3 and G4 iBooks (12" at least).

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2004, 12:10 AM

Originally posted by Cadaver:
I just bought a new battery for my 600MHz iBook. The box simply said 12" Dual USB iBook Battery (or something like that). No differentiation between G3 and G4 iBooks (12" at least).
Yes, I concur. Only possible differene would be in color (if you have the "clear" shell over the white base.

I really like the new "chasing light" style of lighting up the battery status (on the battery). Much more entertaining than the all-on-at-once technique of my original battery.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Forum Links
Forum Rules