Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" PB or 14" iBook

15" PB or 14" iBook
Memphis_Mac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 11:52 AM

While I anxiously await the update to the 15", I keep going back and forth on Powerbook vs. iBook.
I've got a Graphite DVSE iMac already, and I'll be keeping that in the home office, and the portable will be traveling around the house (thank you Airport).

Things to consider:
- I won't be using it for anything very strenuous, so the iBook would work fine.
- EXCEPT that I really want the SuperDrive and iDVD.
- I also noticed that Quicken and Appleworks (two things I will definitely need) aren't on the "included software" list for the Powerbook. Can anyone tell me more about this?

I want to buy the most recent machine I can get, but I'm hesitant to sacrifice the stuff I want/need to get the newest/fastest/coolest computer. But again, it seems backwards to buy a G3 when I could buy a G4.

Thoughts/suggestions/comments welcomed...

Brian

wjdennen
Jul 1, 2003, 12:51 PM

I hear you. I, too, am in a similar situation --- want to buy a laptop, but unsure about whether to get a 15" PowerBook or a 14" iBook... or maybe even a 12" PowerBook.

Money is certainly an issue. I don't want to break the bank on this.

Screen real estate would be nice.

What I really want is an updated 15" PowerBook, I guess...

Sorry, I know this is not helpful!

hibbacross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2003, 01:57 PM

No Aplle Works does not come with any powerbook. I remember when I got my 12"(ordered right after MWSF keynote) it came with some kind of program like that. I am not sure if they still do that. I was going to go the ibook route, but decided on the 12" because evn though I did not think I would need the extra power when I get into photoshop to do some stuff I remember why I got it.
Garrett

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2003, 02:36 PM

You can always add Quicken and AppleWorks to a PowerBook, and they're not expensive. You can't add a SuperDrive and iDVD to an iBook. (Well, you can, but it's $399 and I don't think I'd like to render video files with a G3.)

If Apple ever gets around to releasing a new 15-inch PowerBook, remember that if you don't need the latest and greatest, there will be good deals on TiBooks on closeout, if you move fast. I'd guess the SuperDrive model will drop to $2,299 while stock lasts.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2003, 04:06 PM

I had an iBook and felt constrained by the 1024x768 resolution so I got a PowerBook mainly for the larger screen. I kept the iBook to use just for travelling but use the TiBook for everyday stuff, and yeah, Airport is wonderful! I know, I know, two portables...such a waste. I just don't think the metal case of the PowerBook would remain scratch free very long if I took it places.

Those are just my thoughts. The PowerBooks are a lot more money, so it could be a tough decision for you.

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2003, 01:22 PM

Originally posted by iDaver:
[stuff deleted]
I just don't think the metal case of the PowerBook would remain scratch free very long if I took it places.
[stuff deleted]
Why don't you just put it into a RadTech PowerSleevz?

I use one, and the the PowerSleevz keeps my PowerBook scratch-free.

DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

Cop Rock
Jul 2, 2003, 04:55 PM

Don't forget, the 14" iBook has the same screen resolution (1024x768) as the 12" iBook and 12" Powerbook.

If you had to get something right now I'd suggest the 12" Powerbook with Superdrive.

If you can wait then it's hard to say since nobody really knows what the new 15" models will be (or if the 12" Powerbooks will also get an update).

Forum Links
Forum Rules