Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Buying a 15 TiBook: It's Crunch Time

Buying a 15 TiBook: It's Crunch Time
lau_lau_lau
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2003, 11:54 AM

hey all. after what seems like years of waiting for apple to update to a 15 AlBook, I am ready to give in and order a TiBook. I want to have one last stand though, and so my question is this: what is the next event at which apple could realistically announce the 15" Albook? I will wait for that and then get a TiBook.

Another point: saying I do get a TiBook, is there a noticable difference in speed between the 867mhz and 1ghz models? is it worh the extra �110?

Thanks.

aktive
Jul 26, 2003, 01:00 PM

I dont think they will release the Albook until Panther debuts in September/October - so if I were you I'd get a TiBook.
"...because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones that do."

NYK Ace
Senior User
Jul 26, 2003, 01:24 PM

i just took my ti into the apple store and the genius there said he couldnt believe the diffrence in speed from his 867 to my 1ghz

better memory card
more memory
bigger HD
faster G4

cant lose at these prices now

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2003, 02:06 PM

I don't think Apple will wait until an Expo or conference to release the Al 15" PowerBook, I think it will be released on it's own when Apple feels the Ti 15" PowerBook Stocks have been depleted. Personally I think Apple is making a mistake by waiting, they are just as like to lose sales to people buying PC laptops as they are be offering Ti's at discounts. If Apple does have a line of Al ready to go, then all they are doing is aging. Of course I realize I am making some grand assumptions in the this statement. It may be possible that they are poised to go into production, inwhich case they would probably be up to date, ie GPU, and CPU.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 26, 2003, 02:41 PM

I understand the last stand ethic, but its obvious Apple is not going to release the new 15 inch for a while. Sales are still great for the titanium. Go ahead and buy that 15 inch titanium. It is a great machine. The only thing that would even possibly motivate you to wait for the update would be for the better airport reception, but what you get with the titanium will do you quite nicely!
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Link
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2003, 02:54 PM

The 15" ti SD is decent..

and some of the prices right now.. you can get a loaded SD ti for $2199 WITH applecare through colleges..

the albook might be 25% faster AT THE MOST and will cost easily $2500
Aloha

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 26, 2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The 15" ti SD is decent..

and some of the prices right now.. you can get a loaded SD ti for $2199 WITH applecare through colleges..

the albook might be 25% faster AT THE MOST and will cost easily $2500
Great point!
Bottom line. The Ti is a proven machine and is doing well. Get it and I promise you won't be disappointed.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2003, 03:40 PM

The only reason for the delay is Motorola, once they have the 7457 to a decent quantity, Apple willl update all 3 powerbooks models. I'm sure Apple has been testing the chips for a while so it's just a matter of Motoslowa being able to deliver the demand quantities projected by Apple.

If there happens to be a delivery date shortly before or after an Expo they may wait or pre announce the new models (with an availablity date).

The arguments that they're concentrating on G5s is silly. I'm sure a company like Apple who outsources its productions can work on more than one product line at once.

The next events are Siggraph and Apple's expo in Paris which are both within a few weeks away.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 04:30 PM

Sean predicts it'll be available on or after September 27.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=169732

I think MacWorld Paris is middle of Sept.

I just ordered a 867mhz, can't wait for another 2 months.

Got it through my school store w/ 3 years Apple care and airport for $1588. Too good to pass up .

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2003, 04:53 PM

I think it would be a good idea to wait unless you absolutely need it. What's another 8 weeks?

I am happy with the my GigaBook SD, but the new machines will use likely use less power even at higher CPU speeds, with their new G4 7457 (non-RM) chips. Plus the new chips have more cache, so they'll be even faster than the MHz suggests, compared to the TiBooks. That and they'll likely get BlueTooth and AE.

ie. The next 15" machines will be a generation change, but at the same time not be quite like a revision A, since the 12" and 17" machines are already out. More like Revision A.5.

If I were in your shoes (and even if I still had my slow iBook 600), I'd simply wait. As for me, I'll keep my TiBook until the G4 7457-RM or G5 machines come out. Another 1 - 1.5 years?

buddy1065
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2003, 05:09 PM

I think all the Powerbooks will be updated in late august or September. I think Apple may want to group its updates together to make it a more spectacular showing for everyone. Since the 17" arrived an march/april I think it logical to use about 6 months from there as a timeline.

...For the patient at heart it's no big length of time.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 08:34 PM

Eug,

What is the RM edition?

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 27, 2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by ae86_16v:
What is the RM edition?
7455 - 0.18 um G4
7457 - 0.13 um G4 with more cache
7457-RM - 7457 with integrated memory controller, so it can make use of DDR memory.

The current designs with the 7455 or 7457 treat DDR as if it were SDR. The 7457-RM would solve this problem, but so far it's only a "proposed" part as far as we Macheads know.

wjdennen
Jul 27, 2003, 09:04 PM

I am looking at the University price list... the SD version is $2199, without Apple Care.

How is the 867 version with the SD added?

Trying to go cheap...

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 11:50 PM

Sean predicts it'll be available on or after September 27.

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=169732

I think MacWorld Paris is middle of Sept.

I just ordered a 867mhz, can't wait for another 2 months.

Got it through my school store w/ 3 years Apple care and airport for $1588. Too good to pass up .
WHA???? $1588 for a 15"??? New??

I can't even get a 12" for that price. 12" for me starts at $1399 and with AirPort card and AppleCare it's over $1700.

What school do you go to??
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
7455 - 0.18 um G4
7457-RM - 7457 with integrated memory controller, so it can make use of DDR memory.

The current designs with the 7455 or 7457 treat DDR as if it were SDR. The 7457-RM would solve this problem, but so far it's only a "proposed" part as far as we Macheads know.
Is there like a list somewhere of all the various iterations of the G4 design (from the first 7400 in the graphite mini-towers)? Too many numbers!!
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

macxtal
Jul 28, 2003, 12:53 AM

My advice if you are desperate is to buy a used unit and resell, or get a new iBook to tide you over and resell that. You will lose a bit, but gain in lost productivity reading rumors here. Ha. You will certainly lose much less than reselling a TiBook down the road.

schmoe
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2003, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
7455 - 0.18 um G4
Is the 7455 really 0.18 micron? Motorola's product page says it is 0.13 micron.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 05:30 AM

Originally posted by Fyre4ce:
WHA???? $1588 for a 15"??? New??

I can't even get a 12" for that price. 12" for me starts at $1399 and with AirPort card and AppleCare it's over $1700.

What school do you go to??
California State University, Hayward. . . special priced for graphics students, but any students could get it. It is not even listed on their webpage.

Try going to www.Apple-History.com . They have info for all the models include processor and model internal codes names and such. Sometimes Safari is kind of janky on there, so you might have to hit reload or the back button.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by schmoe:
Is the 7455 really 0.18 micron? Motorola's product page says it is 0.13 micron.
That's strange. Their own (Jan. 2003) MPC7455 data sheet still says 0.18 um.

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2003, 09:03 PM

California State University, Hayward. . . special priced for graphics students, but any students could get it. It is not even listed on their webpage.

Try going to www.Apple-History.com . They have info for all the models include processor and model internal codes names and such. Sometimes Safari is kind of janky on there, so you might have to hit reload or the back button.
How does the student discount thing work? Does the school subsidize the machines? Or is it an extra discount from Apple?
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Jul 29, 2003, 01:27 AM

How does the student discount thing work? Does the school subsidize the machines? Or is it an extra discount from Apple?
I got my powerbook with the student discount. Basically you prove that you are a student with a College ID or whatever and you get a small percentage off. I got about $150 off my 17" which basically paid for my taxes.

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 02:11 AM

Well it is definitely a extra over the standard education discount. I don't really know who puts in for the extra though. I would think it is probably from the school, but then again California is broke so I don't know.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2003, 09:26 AM

There are 2 forms of student discount. One is purchasing direct from the Apple Store as a student (either present your college ID at an Apple retail store or go to apple.com/education/store). The other possibility is that your specific school has deals with Apple to offer special bundle pricing at even lower pricing. Some examples of such schools are Penn, Berklee and Princeton. Many schools have been getting good pricing on the TiBook this summer. While Apple often requires that schools keep their pricing secret you can see Berklee's pricing on their web site.

Forum Links
Forum Rules