Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > FINALLY. Entourage with full Exchange support available for download

FINALLY. Entourage with full Exchange support available for download
xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 11:07 AM

You can get it here.

Classic, you have hereby been banned from my Mac.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:19 AM

I'd like to know what people think of this. I am at work stuck with a PC but my iBook is in the trunk of my car. I am very tempted to go grab it and get off Windows however in the past I've had trouble getting Outlook 2001 to work here. I never got it to work.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 11:21 AM

I'm installing it now. As soon as I've got it setup and used it a bit, I'll post back here and let you know how it went.

wjdennen
Aug 4, 2003, 11:28 AM

It's a kludge.

Doesn't seem to speak MAPI, although it's not clear. Seems to speak IMAP instead?

Calendaring is not true Exchange calendaring. In fact, i can not get it to work with our Exchange server.

-Bill

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 11:47 AM

wjdennen said it.

can't get it to work...

-Steve

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:56 AM

Annoyingly, it refuses to install on my Mac, saying that I don't have Office X installed, while I most certainly do. Very frustrating.

Oh well, from what I've been hearing it seems like it was too good to be true anyways. I guess we'll have to wait until Panther ships with Exchange support in Mail.app.

Will Brocklebank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 11:57 AM

Another typical Microcr*p release... genius, sheer genius - it won't work here either - can't find the exchange server or alternatively returns error 11003 saying that it does not recognise username or password. (Which really is stupid as I have smtp to the exchange server running from Entourage as I speak.)

The whole MBU should hang their heads in shame. And the worst thing is that switchers who rely on Office apps to function see this sort of occurrence as a Mac failing.

Rant, rant, rant, rant, rant.

dbooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by waffffffle:
I'd like to know what people think of this. I am at work stuck with a PC but my iBook is in the trunk of my car. I am very tempted to go grab it and get off Windows however in the past I've had trouble getting Outlook 2001 to work here. I never got it to work.
I just installed the upgrade. It ran long enough for me to configure it and download one mail session - then crashed. Crashes every time I launch it now. I have manually rebuilt my Entourage databases (typical and advanced) and it still crashes. Any ideas?

OSX 10.2.6, PowerMac 2 x 1.25 G4.

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2003, 12:05 PM

I learned this from another forum...may be an issue for some of you having problems:

"Yeah I was really happy about this update too... until I tried repeatedly to get it to work, then went back and read that you must be connecting to Exchange Server 2000 (service pack2) or later. We're running NT Server at the office, so I'm outtah luck till we upgrade to 2003... which is soon hopefully."

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 12:05 PM

I'm also having trouble getting the calendar support going with the Exchange server. The irony is, the Outlook 2001 setup is 1000x easier. This seems like a real hack job to me... MS get yer ass in gear and do this right. I'm tired of classic.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 12:07 PM

I hate to admit this, but it installed and is running fine.

I just need to test importing my mail.app mbox files into entourage and I think I'm set.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by rhansen_x:
I hate to admit this, but it installed and is running fine.

I just need to test importing my mail.app mbox files into entourage and I think I'm set.
Don't hate it, be thankful! Does calendar sync up with your exchange server?

barbarian
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 12:19 PM

Other than exchange support (which I don't need) does this release do anything useful or fix anything?

Will Brocklebank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 12:29 PM

Those folk who have got it working - can you tell me whether you were able to use the auto set-up feature (i.e. the one which asks for Account ID, Password and Domain then click right arrow to continue). When I try this it tries 'detecting the domain controller' and then tells me that Entourage could not find Name, Email Address, Exchange Server, Free/Busy Server or Directory Server - i.e. a cool null points out 5.

And if I try to config manually it throws back bad username or password (error 11003) even though I know I am using the right settings.

Please, please help.

rhansen_x
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 4, 2003, 12:37 PM

I had to manually set up my account. Testing the calendar stuff this afternoon.
Forget the curveball Rickey, give 'im the heater.

Epicurus
Aug 4, 2003, 12:38 PM

It doesn't look like it supports public folders, which is what I would use most, e.g. Public Contacts/Calendar. It is simply implemented via IMAP and shows each entry as an "email."

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 12:45 PM

Meeting invitations have no "Accept" or "Don't Accept" buttons in the toolbar, and there is no other detectable way to accept or not. Real ****ing handy. MS is receiving a barrage of bug report submissions from me today.

steamymonkeypants
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 12:50 PM

does this update require a password to install?
war sucks.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by Epicurus:
It doesn't look like it supports public folders, which is what I would use most, e.g. Public Contacts/Calendar. It is simply implemented via IMAP and shows each entry as an "email."
Me too. I'm having trouble using Public calendars (which it just lists each entry as a new e-mail) and using a Global Address Book. Bummer.

Annoyingly, it refuses to install on my Mac, saying that I don't have Office X installed, while I most certainly do. Very frustrating.
I had to install the 10.1.2 update again and then the 10.1.4 update reconized my install of Office X.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 12:55 PM

Oh well, from what I've been hearing it seems like it was too good to be true anyways. I guess we'll have to wait until Panther ships with Exchange support in Mail.app.
I had the same problem initially. It turned out that I had not updated to Office 10.1.2 first, which is a necessary update in order to install the new Office 10.1.4. Once you get past that little obstacle, that is when the REAL fun starts.

-Q-
Aug 4, 2003, 12:56 PM

Public folders seem to be working OK for me. I can read them but I haven't tried posting yet.

I wasn't able to use the set-up wizard, but it took my manual settings fine. I can read and send mail no troubles but I can't get my calendar info to work.

Seems like it's a bit unfinished. Won't render HTML e-mail either, even tho' entourage will render it just fine if it's sent to a non-work address.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 12:57 PM

Well the one bit of bright news for me today is that I was able to get Outlook 2001 working. It was a PAIN because it could never find the exchange server. I'm working at a pretty large company and the give each building a different server, but that's the netbios name, NOT the dns name. So I was trying forever to get it to find the server until I had an epiffany. I ran netstat on my Windows machine and then pinged the server that way. It showed me the real DNS name of the server. I plugged that into Outlook and bamn, it worked.

However in OS 9 I can't really do anything. I can't print to our printers and most importantly, I can't get access to our network folders. I guess I'll try using the dreaded Classic Environment...

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
I had the same problem initially. It turned out that I had not updated to Office 10.1.2 first, which is a necessary update in order to install the new Office 10.1.4. Once you get past that little obstacle, that is when the REAL fun starts.
Thanks, that was my problem too. I thought I had the newest version of Office, I guess I was wrong. Its installing now, but from what I'm reading here I probably don't have much to look forward to.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 01:11 PM

It's definitely not a finished product. Assuming that they beta tested this thing (according to Macfixit they did), then the calendar function must have been working for somebody out there. If that is the case, then I would say it's an issue with a very difficult and unintuitive setup, which is something that was actually very easy to use in Outlook 2001.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Aug 4, 2003, 03:02 PM

I got it set up and was able to read my mail. I can't figure out how to get the addresses or calendar to display. It does seem to recognize that the calendar entries are entries. If I accept a calendar entry it does put them in the calendar local to my computer, it doesn't display the calendar folder as a calendar just a list of calendar items.

I also got this error that indicates that it is using the IMAP cababilites of Exchange.

---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 03:13 PM

Anybody see any improvements to Word, etc? (Long file names maybe? hehehehe)

wjdennen
Aug 4, 2003, 03:21 PM

It does seem to recognize that the calendar entries are entries. If I accept a calendar entry it does put them in the calendar local to my computer, it doesn't display the calendar folder as a calendar just a list of calendar items.
Since this appears to be using some weird IMAP setup, what you're seeing might be what MS intends. From reading the docs, it looks like MS wants us to use Entourage's calendar -- and it is somehow supposed to synch up with the Exchange calendar. I can't get this to work.

dbooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 4, 2003, 05:00 PM

I did a complete remove of all Office files, a clean install from a safe boot of Office 10.1.1, update to 10.1.2, 10.1.3 and finally 10.1.4. Everything works except Entourage which crashes within ten secs of launch. What else is there?

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 05:13 PM

Exel and PowerPoint now crash after startup... crappy MS software again.... Please Apple, we want an Office suite...

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by wjdennen:
Since this appears to be using some weird IMAP setup, what you're seeing might be what MS intends. From reading the docs, it looks like MS wants us to use Entourage's calendar -- and it is somehow supposed to synch up with the Exchange calendar. I can't get this to work.
I wish Calendars would work like they do on Outlook (both Mac and PC) where you can open a calendar that's on the server and it will show you all events already on the calendar. None of this Accepting and Rejecting crap.

One of my co-workers pointed out to me that, in the script menu on the far right, there's a script to "Create Event from Message"... you can select all the events in your calendar and then run that puppy and they all hop on your local calendar. I wish it was more seemless.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 06:31 PM

Same here. I'm sitting here looking at my legally purchased copy of Office X in my Applications folder ... and this stupid installer says I don't have it anywhere on my hard drive. What's worse is that clicking the button to select the folder that Office is installed just brings up a blank dialog. This is most pathetic indeed!

OAW

Edit: Guess I wasn't running the latest version of Office either. Downloading the 10.1.2 update now ....

.... Yep. That did the trick!
( Last edited by OAW; Aug 4, 2003 at 06:58 PM. )

Deal
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 4, 2003, 06:46 PM

It doesn't matter what version of OFFICE you have. RUN 10.1.2 updater AGAIN. Then run the 10.1.4 update. It's just another Microsoft GOOF UP.

I would very much like to hear from somebody who's work place has Exchange server 2000, and has made this actually work (NOT USING IMAP).

Can you see/write to Exchange Calanders. Did it setup easy? Can you see the Exchange global address book as it should be seen?

Thanks

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 06:59 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
Exel and PowerPoint now crash after startup... crappy MS software again.... Please Apple, we want an Office suite...
Excel was fine for me, but Powerpoint was crashing. I deleted ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/PowerPoint Settings (10) and that fixed it.

There is an Excel settings folder as well, so maybe that will help you.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2003, 07:07 PM

Hey neat, new progress bar in Entourage.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

wjdennen
Aug 4, 2003, 08:03 PM

See this page

Follow the flowchart for "OS X Only"

Basically, if you need the features of Exchange, they recommend Outlook Web Access, not Entourage X.

Those features are: scheduling, shared calendars delegates, and voting

gregpins
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 10:23 PM

This is possibly the most important update to any piece of Mac software in some time -- ironic considering what a minimal version number change it represents. Inability to interface easily with Exchange/Outlook is a major barrier to Mac adoption in many workplaces.

The update works exactly as advertised for me. Couple points for folks having trouble: I think it needs Exchange 2000, which not every business uses, and I bet your IT people need to enable IMAP access.

I have been using Entourage with Exchange for a while. E-mail worked great, and I could accept invitations into my calendar but could not access other people's schedules, public folders or contacts. With the update, I can now do just about everything my PC-using colleagues can do. It synced my calendar and contacts flawlessly.

Major step forward and a long time coming.

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 4, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by gregpins:
The update works exactly as advertised for me. Couple points for folks having trouble: I think it needs Exchange 2000, which not every business uses, and I bet your IT people need to enable IMAP access.

I have been using Entourage with Exchange for a while. E-mail worked great, and I could accept invitations into my calendar but could not access other people's schedules, public folders or contacts. With the update, I can now do just about everything my PC-using colleagues can do. It synced my calendar and contacts flawlessly.
Just to be sure... are you saying that you could see a coworkers calendar and schedule meeting into that calendar? If so, you are the first person I have heard that has gotten this to work.

I have been using Entourage for some time in an Exchange environment but with the limitations of IMAP. We are using Exchange Server 2000 service pack 2. With this update I can see public folders but get errors when I try to schedule a meeting in someone elses calendar or look up an address.

I hope these issues get resolved because I (and many others) have been waiting a long time for this update and the promised Exchange features. So far we have been very disappointed...
JRT

gregpins
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 09:59 AM

Yes, I can see my coworkers calendar and schedule meetings into that calendar (if they accept). One non-obvious thing I had to do:

Create an event, and click "Invite"

Make sure that the account the invite is coming from is your Exchange account. this does not change automatically when you change your default mail account. You have to change it in the calendar too. When you do that and type in the name of the person to invite, addiitional info appears at the bottom and there is a tab that says "Scheduling." You can see the schedules of invitees there.

gregpins
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 10:08 AM

couple other tips:

Clean out your inbox before you sync the first time. Like an idiot, I had 4000 messages in there and it took awhile to sync.

Second, if you have been using Entourage for contacts, but have old stuff in your Outlook contacts folder, delete everything in Outlook before you sync or you end up with a bunch of duplicates.

Basically, pick one or the other and clean out the one you haven't been using -- THEN connect.

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by wjdennen:
See this page

Follow the flowchart for "OS X Only"

Basically, if you need the features of Exchange, they recommend Outlook Web Access, not Entourage X.

Those features are: scheduling, shared calendars delegates, and voting

No web access for me here. The IT people claim its too insecure. This update blows. It is completely useless.

JRT
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by gregpins:
Yes, I can see my coworkers calendar and schedule meetings into that calendar (if they accept). One non-obvious thing I had to do:

Create an event, and click "Invite"

Make sure that the account the invite is coming from is your Exchange account. this does not change automatically when you change your default mail account. You have to change it in the calendar too. When you do that and type in the name of the person to invite, addiitional info appears at the bottom and there is a tab that says "Scheduling." You can see the schedules of invitees there.
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear it works for somebody but I think you are one of a few.

I have everything you say including the additional Scheduling tab but when I click it to see the I get the error.
JRT

gregpins
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by JRT:
Thanks for the reply. I am glad to hear it works for somebody but I think you are one of a few.

I have everything you say including the additional Scheduling tab but when I click it to see the I get the error.
Dang. I'll keep playing and see if I come up with any other tips.

To be clear, this is still crippled Outlook/Exchange functionality, but if you can get it to work, it is a big improvement.

Wonder if Apple will do any better with its Exchange compatability in Panther?

gregpins
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by JRT:

Also, are you inside your company's firewall? If not, you may need a VPN connection to make the other functions work.

dbooker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2003, 12:15 PM

I simply created a new account with no "unusual" start-up items or utilities running and Entourage is running fine - with all features active. It appears my problems were caused by a yet to be determined software conflict. If I figure it out, I'll post it.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2003, 12:30 PM

I am waiting for the following scenario.

Panther handles this better than M$'s attempt.

M$ gives us the Internet Explorer/Safari line that only Apple can really make these things work right within their OS.

Drop development of Entourage.

xi_hyperon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 5, 2003, 12:47 PM

[edited to post comments I just submitted on the Entourage feedback page]

The Mac BU has done a phenomenal job of bringing Office to the Mac. I am almost beyond suggestions however, on improving the Exchange support in Entourage included in the 10.1.4 update. The only suggestion I could offer is to carbonize Outlook and remove the hack job that was made out of this update. Why?

The ease of installation in Outlook: Gone. Ease of use: Gone. Integration? Hardly. Every online forum I have visited is chock full of customers who are struggling and failing to get Entourage to work as it should. Myself included. I have yet to get the calendar to work right, and this seems to be the most widespread problem amongst those I have conversed with. Invitations arrive from colleagues, and there is no "Accept" or "Don't Accept" button in the invite. All of my appointments show up as emails, and when I use the schedule function, the entire collection of appointments are dumped into today�s date on the calendar.

Granted, this is probably a result of something I have failed to do correctly in setup, but that is one of my underlying points. Outlook didn't require a magician to get it to work. It just does.

I ask you, is this the best we have to look forward to with regards to Exchange support from the Mac BU? This update is not worthy of the Mac BU name. It has been 24 hours since the update, and I am still in shock at the results of your efforts. Just amazed.

[/comments]
( Last edited by xi_hyperon; Aug 5, 2003 at 01:08 PM. )

Colddiver2
Aug 5, 2003, 02:41 PM

I am really sick of this... They promised a solution yet it is only an half-baked piece of crapware. It took me quite some time to get it somewhat working. I had to call our IT dept to have them modify my mailbox name (there was an accented character that caused some trouble) only to find out, when I *finally* got email working, that my employer is still using Exchange 5.5.

This almost make me think that M$ deliberately made it tedious to support Exchange on Mac (even with their own "solutions") to fuel the never-ending Mac hatred all too common in corporate IT circles.

No point using entourage only for email when Mail.app can do the job (IMAP) with a much cleaner interface.

Now if I only could find a way to transfer the global address list and integrate it with the Address Book.app... Anybody tried downloading the global address list (on a PC) and transfer it to a Mac? I gave AddressX a try but it also requires Exchange 2000 so I'm still stuck.

Colddiver

Faith, indeed, has up to the present not been able to move real mountains.... But it can put mountains where there are none.

- Friedrich Nietzche

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2003, 03:10 PM

Depending on your exchange server, there may be LDAP support. I was able to get this working on my law schools exchange server with Jag's address book.

I'll post details later (when I'm in front of my mac).
cpac

Raining Down in Texas
Forum Regular
Aug 5, 2003, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Depending on your exchange server, there may be LDAP support. I was able to get this working on my law schools exchange server with Jag's address book.

I'll post details later (when I'm in front of my mac).
The ironic part is that the Apple Address Book can successfully access our Exchange LDAP server, and Entourage's plain LDAP service can access it, but the Entourage Exchange support cannot successfully access it. It complains about improper authentication information. Since both Address Book and Entourage LDAP do not require authentication, the problem seems to be that the Exchange support in Entourage attempts to authenticate to the LDAP server even though it is not required.

What's worse is that the "Check Names" function fails when composing a message even though there is an entry in the Directory Services for the LDAP server that works. It appears that "Check Names" always attempts to use the Exchange support's LDAP access. There is no preference to turn it off, and no way to remove it from the Directory Services without removing all of the Exchange access. I tried changing the order of the Directory services, putting the one that works ahead of the Exchange support, and it still doesn't work.

Oh well, at least I can collect the viruses that gather in my Exchange account.

Colddiver2
Aug 7, 2003, 09:31 AM

After getting pissed (see above message) at how lame M$ "solution" was for Exchange, I started exploring other options.

Pretty much everybody must know that it is possible to use Mail.app to access exchange email. My problem was the address book (I don't care much for calendars). Some people were able to use Apple Address Book with LDAP to access exchange contacts but I have not managed to get that working.

Instead, I stuble upon a PC app called Address Magic Personal Edition. With it, I was able to export the Global Address List (parts of it) into LDIF and import it in Apple Address Book.

The import seems to be pretty much perfect. Mailing lists and every thing else imported fine. The only thing is that I work for a rather large organisation and Apple Address Book gets somewhat slow when you have over 10K contacts in it...

Colddiver

Faith, indeed, has up to the present not been able to move real mountains.... But it can put mountains where there are none.

- Friedrich Nietzche

Forum Links
Forum Rules