Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Mac and Viewsonic

Mac and Viewsonic
Scarpad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2005, 10:51 AM

I needed a new Monitor for my Upcoming Mini and my existing PC network. I did'nt want to spend a whole lot so I went with a 19" Viewsonic CRT GF90B. I'm just wondering in General how it would look via VGA instead of DVI.
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2005, 01:05 PM

I'd guess you'd never even see the difference...

I only use the DVI input on my Viewsonic LCD display because I don't have to use a dongle to connect it. I can't tell the difference.

(I'll standby and wait while everybody and their brother says there's a huge difference...)

wjdennen
Feb 1, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by EmmEff:
(I'll standby and wait while everybody and their brother says there's a huge difference...)
"Chirp... chirp..."
- the crickets

sorry, couldn't resist.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 1, 2005, 08:27 PM

Differences in picture quality will probably be minor (assuming the monitor itself has a high-quality internal VGA digitizer), but some people are more sensitive than others. Try each and see which you like better.

At 1280x1024, most likely on a well-calibrated display, you wont see an earth-shattering difference.

Now, I personally can see a definite difference between VGA and DVI on my 20" LCD, but that's running at a much higher 1600x1200 resolution. Small text and fine lines are much sharper via DVI.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2005, 05:34 PM

I have a 19" ViewSonic Graphics Series G90fb CRT.

Honestly, I regret buying it. If I had a place to put it, I'd ditch it and buy something decent, but I bought it to save money (stupid decision) and still have a lot of screen real estate. Bad choice... I should have either gone for a 17" of roughly equal or slightly greater price or a much better 19".

It flickers. The picture warps. The best it is capable of is 60Hz. It's a bit blurry.

When it isn't flickering or warping, it's acceptable, but not good. when it starts to go haywire, I leave it and go read a book... it's not unusable, but it's exceedingly unpleasant.

It worked for maybe two months before it started having these major problems (although it was always blurry, and running anything higher than 60Hz causes major warping).

Maybe I just got a dud, but I'd make sure to check that thing over VERY carefully... if you have any sort of warranty or refund, jump on any opportunity to get it replaced with a different model if anything is unacceptable.

EmmEff
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 2, 2005, 05:42 PM

Why wouldn't you just get it fixed? It's obvious there's something wrong. That monitor definitely supports more than 60Hz refresh rates.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 2, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Turnpike:
It flickers. The picture warps. The best it is capable of is 60Hz.
The problem's not the monitor, because it supports a refresh rate of 77Hz at all resolutions, and up to 180Hz for the lowest resolutions. The limitation is probably an improperly-set Mac adapter (if it's on a really old Mac), or a bad cable.

tooki

Scarpad  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 2, 2005, 11:24 PM

Yeah on my PC the Viewsonic is nice and sharp with no warping.
ipod mini

Mac Mini - 1.42Ghz
80GB HD - Airport Extreme
Superdrive - 512mb ram

Forum Links
Forum Rules