Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac Book DEAD after Software Update

Mac Book DEAD after Software Update
jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 04:24 PM

So the software update window came up last night and it said that there were 2 updates to be done, one for IntelMacs and another for security...so I said yes update both...I left to the kitchen to make a snack and when I came back...PUF! the Mac Book was DEAD!

The screen was pitch black, I tried turning it on and no chime or light on the screen all I hear is like the CD drive spinning, but I know for a fact there is no CD inside the drive.

I unplug it, remove the battery let it sit down for a few hours then tried it again and nothing

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate...

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
So the software update window came up last night and it said that there were 2 updates to be done, one for IntelMacs and another for security...so I said yes update both...I left to the kitchen to make a snack and when I came back...PUF! the Mac Book was DEAD!

The screen was pitch black, I tried turning it on and no chime or light on the screen all I hear is like the CD drive spinning, but I know for a fact there is no CD inside the drive.

I unplug it, remove the battery let it sit down for a few hours then tried it again and nothing

Any ideas would be greatly appreciate...

It's toast! Send it to me!

No really, try rebooting into single user mode, repair permissions, and reboot!

jorgem4  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by romeosc View Post
It's toast! Send it to me!

No really, try rebooting into single user mode, repair permissions, and reboot!
How do you do that?...

..unfortunalty I won't be close to an apple store for another 2 weeks I might must just have to wait.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2006, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by jorgem4 View Post
How do you do that?...

..unfortunalty I won't be close to an apple store for another 2 weeks I might must just have to wait.
Start up in single user mode (Apple-S during boot)
Run fsck (the unix File System Check utility).

kick52
Baninated
Dec 3, 2006, 07:31 PM

that would be great.. but it looks like the system isnt actually starting if there is no chime.

have you tried leaving it on the charger for 1hr, and then turning it on? (with the charger still in?)

if macbooks' batteries have those buttons on them, press it, and see if the lights light up... to check if it isnt a dead battery.

check_raizer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 15, 2006, 09:35 PM

Dude, had the EXACT same thing happen to a friend of mine. . . you messed up when installing the firmware update (which fixes a bug that affected some macs causing them to shut down when the temp got too high) here is how you fix it. . . DONT DEVIATE FROM THE STEPS and MAKE SURE YOU USE THE DISK UTILITY AS DIRECTED (you have to burn a firmware restore disk - use another mac to do this since your is obviously out of comission)

here is the link

About the Firmware Restoration CD

steps 7 and 8 are kinda tricky on getting the timing right. . . but be vigilant and it will work. . . .

Cheers

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 10:49 PM

Let's ask MacBook questions in the right forum, eh? This forum is for PowerBooks and MacBook Pros.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wake266
Dec 16, 2006, 04:32 PM

its probably not a dead battery, because if you take your battery out and put the charger in, the macbook can still run.

Forum Links
Forum Rules